Friday, December 5, 2008

Designing a Kitchen

I am designing a kitchen. I started yesterday and will be done tomorrow. No, I am not an architect or designer, but my lake house is being renovated and I must have all my ideas and plans ready by tomorrow when we go up there. Our carpenter/jack of all trades has moved on to the inside of our home (literally and figuratively, as he is staying there) after completing major work outside. Once I learn how to post pictures I can go into more detail on all that we have done. But he is now ready to tear down the drop ceiling in the kitchen and install the stone flooring we picked out and the rest is up to me. The Husband and I made a deal that I could have the kitchen if he could have the upstairs bath. Deal done. We gave Emily, our interior design student/daughter the downstairs bath and laundry room (I'm sure she will select everything from Pottery Barn!). So even though I am in a rush, I'm pretty prepared as Better Homes and Gardens and Cottage Living are my bibles. I have seen that white kitchens are making a big comeback and anyone that knows me knows I have color phobia. I just like to have a neutral background and make color pop with accessories. The fact that I can change things around alot that way makes me feel quite daring! I redid this kitchen when we first moved in 17 years ago. I painted the dark cabinets white, put in a hardwood floor and hung cheery yellow and white checked wallpaper. Sheer white valances dressed the sunny windows. Since this was my "second" home, I felt I could take more chances. I would have liked to keep the kitchen this way except the work on the ceiling is going to tear up the wallpaper so I am starting over. I am having the upper cabinets removed and white open shelves put up. I am going to have a farmhouse sink and subway tile backsplash. The lower cabinets are going to be painted a gray green, the color is called "Sage Gray". I don't know yet what sort or color of countertops to go with, nor what to introduce as a complimetary color so if anyone has ideas please let me know. I believe the counters go in last. Tomorrow I will take "before" pictures. After we make the stop at the house (we can't stay because of all the drywall dust) we are going on to South Haven, Michigan to a place we love to stay at called the Old Harbor Inn. It sits on the Black River which flows out to Lake Michigan. South Haven is a quaint little town with streets of antique and gift shops. It will only be about 20 degrees out but I've never been there in December to see all the Christmas decorations. I'm sure all the shops will have warm cider and cocoa (yum) to warm us up. I hope to find some Christmas gifts, ornaments and maybe a thing or two for the new kitchen.
I hope everybody has a great weekend and stays warm, if only in your heart:).

1 comment:

Decor To Adore said...

I can't wait to see pictures.