Tuesday, September 30, 2014

FALL BEAUTY & SOME COMINGS & GOINGS


If you happened to hear from me over the weekend, you'll know we didn't go to Las Vegas as planned.  We had (and still do) a big mess at both of our airports due to an incident where an employee at the nearby FAA location sabotaged major radar equipment.  So our flight, among hundreds others were cancelled.  I did however, get an earlier reprieve from going when The Husband found out two other wives had to cancel and it was turning into more of a "guys trip".  That made me happy.  I think The Husband would have had a bit more fun that way...he knows I'm not crazy about this event.  

So, I've had some crazy/busy time since last week as well as some wonderful relaxing "down time".  Have to love that.  I got together with Emily on Thursday to run some errands. She was very excited, telling me about a garden center that had "rainbow" mums.  She knew I didn't want to get mums yet, I don't want them to be faded by mid October!  But she dragged me to this cute little place that I never knew of called Olivia's Garden.  And I'll be darned, we bought mums!  At 6 for $42.00, how could we resist?  Aren't they the prettiest?  








I did a lot of cooking on the grill with not having a stove or oven.  That along with an electric skillet and the microwave. I went to the grocery store on Friday not quite acknowledging I was stoveless.  I did know (or at least thought at the time) that The Husband would be gone for 4 days straight and I didn't want to subsist on junk food.  I had seen a recipe in one of those BH&G Celebrate magazines, which I showed you in my last post,  Cornbread Stuffing. Nope.  Have never made it although I can bet many of you have.  It was insanely good, insanely easy (okay, I baked it on the grill outside and that took some thinking).  But in a nutshell, you can make your own cornbread or use a mix, crumble it up.  Cook up some breakfast sausage and red onion.  Add that along with some fresh spinach and fennel seed.  Toss it together gently and put it in a casserole dish.  Drizzle with with about 1 1/2 cups of chicken broth and bake at 325 for 45 minutes.  I have to admit, this was sort of fun to make on the grill.  I don't think it added anything to the flavor, I just sort of felt like a pioneer woman!  Ha!  We just loved it and I think I'm going to have it as a side dish on Thanksgiving along with our regular old dressing.  

I wonder if I could live without a stove like Brenda?  I was craving homemade iced tea yesterday and realized I could actually boil the water in the microwave.  Genius!  And Abby made egg sandwiches last night in the electric skillet that were very good.  I'd consider cancelling Sears except I really want that dishwasher fixed, I'm not that much of a pioneer!










When The Husband left for the lake Sunday morning, I started to have second thoughts that maybe I should have gone.  I was feeling anxious and a little stressed out understandably.  I puttered but I just couldn't shake off this weird feeling that I didn't want him so far away.  Years and years ago, when the kids were very young, he was gone overnight and in the middle of the night I woke up in a panic attack.  A really big one and I did not see it coming nor did I ever forget it.  If you've ever had one, I wish you peace. Fear feeds on fear and it's a bad place to be.  I get twinges of those feelings when he goes away, which is rare.  And I felt those twinges Sunday.  I decided to get into a book, I'd been reading all of my monthly magazines as a little fix because I didn't want to devote hours to a book (and when I start one, I can read for hours on end, usually finishing a whole book in a day or two evenings).  I came upon this one in my Nook library.  Coincidentally, this book was suggested to me by Balsiha at Simply Balisha.  She's a real dear and she wrote about this in a comment on THIS post I wrote about finding my inner peace, learning to survive on my own, being independent.  This book is a memoir of sorts of a woman who has raised her children, is ready to embark on the "second half" of her life and believes she is in a rather shallow marriage (for lack of better words.   I'm giving you my take on this, you can look up the book if you'd like).  So, she escapes to their little cottage on Cape Cod and she spends a year on her own.  She learns to face her fears, get by totally on her own, take chances, live out some of her dreams and for the most part, from what I got out of it, she learns to embrace change, live and love the journey, and  to put her desires first and foremost after 30 years of marriage and children.  This is a truly enlightening book.  I came away with so much from it.  When I have more time I'll tell you more of what I learned from this book as well as the author's website.  And ironically, as I lay in bed Sunday night, all snuggly and warm in my PJ's, with the dogs snoring next to me and the book open...finally feeling a little more calm and relaxed that my guy wasn't lying beside me, I heard a loud banging on the front door.  I ran and looked out the window while Milo and Layla danced and barked crazily.  And there he was, with all his bags and leftover fast food.  I was astounded...to the lake and back in one day?  Why?  "I just had a funny feeling without you there, hon.  I just wanted to come home to you."  My heart melted.  I slept like a baby that night.  Still, I worry about the next time.  There will be a next time.

I'll close now with some happy and exciting news.  We are off to Asheville the first week of November.  I am so excited to see the mountains in the fall.  With a whole week there I am making definite plans to go hiking and see the gardens at The Biltmore Mansion in all of their glory.  We subscribe to a North Carolina publication and I am going to check out all of the events and activities going on.  We are so lucky to have the refund from the airlines or I don't know that we'd be doing this.  I am beyond thrilled.  

I have to get ready for the arrival of the repairman, and I suppose I have no good excuse not to make dinner tonight!  I will post again this weekend before the dreaded surgery Monday.  :)

Jane xx

49 comments:

Mary@mydogsmygardenandmary said...

Good luck on your surgery - everything will be fine and you will be up and at it in no time. Prayers are being sent your way.
Sounds like you have been busy and getting things done.
Your trip to Ashville sounds wonderful. The time I went it was all set-up for Christmas with Poinsettias everywhere - it was magical.
Have a great weekend and let us know how your doing. If you get a chance stop by my new post and see what I have been up to.
Hugs,
Mary

Beth said...

Take care, Jane. Well wishes for you! Asheville in November sounds amazing. I've never been to NC, other than the Charlotte airport. It's on my bucket list. Your mums and hydrangeas are lovely! The cornbread stuffing sounds amazingly good. Have a good week, Jane!
Beth :)

Kathleen Grace said...

Awwww, it's so sweet that hubby came home to be with you! I'm praying for a good outcome on the surgery and that you an get some things done before the surgery so you don't feel anxious. I tend to be that way, whenever I am sick, which isn't often, all I can do is look around at all the things that are not done. It drives me absolutely batty! The carved gourds on the Halloween tree were adorable, I have never seen them used that way, and who can resist those bright mums? Love them!

Balisha said...

Some marriage partners are on the same wave length. He must have had a feeling that you were uneasy....maybe the thought of surgery looming. That was so sweet of him. I'd say he's a keeper.
Thanks for mentioning me in this post. I read the book and got the sequel to read too. I found it so interesting....to me who has never traveled or been alone for any length of time. How would I do for a year on my own? I kept thinking that as I read the book. Just a little book.....with so much to absorb.
Hope your surgery goes well. You will have to hurry up and recover with your fall trip coming up. Sending healing hugs,
Balisha

Stacey said...

I'm glad he came back home to you. ♥

Your mums are beautiful and I don't blame you one bit for buying them.

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

Good luck next week with your hand surgery Jane...wishing you a quick recovery! Your chicken and cornbread stuffing looked so good and I love the way you filled that pretty basket on your coffee table...so pretty!

Celestina Marie said...

Hi Jane,
Wishing you all the best on your surgery next week. Prayers for you and a prompt recovery.
Your NC trip sounds like it will be beautiful this time of year. Love your mums and the decor from the shop.

I loved your story about your hubby coming back home after missing you and you him. Two hearts that just know each other well. Love it!!

Blessings and prayers!
xo

Helen said...

I have had one panic attack ~~ and I never want to have another! Will be thinking about you and the surgery, let everything go and just embrace the convalescing!

Lisa @ Texas Decor said...

Those ARE beautiful mums!! So pretty and festive! You have a good man to go up there and back in one day. I think he's a keeper. :) Good luck on your surgery too, I'll be praying for a quick recovery.

Gina said...

I'm sorry that your trip to Vegas was cancelled, but it seems like you both made the best of it!
I find that the camera always tells the truth! It never fails, I load the pics on the computer & I see immediately see where I've decorated something wrong! lol
You've done a super job as a pioneer lady. I don't know if I would have been quite so resourceful without an oven.
I've had terrible panic attacks in the past, so I know exactly how you felt. Reading was always a big help for me...or painting kitchen cabinets at 2 am when one was about to strike. lol
Enjoy the week!

Brenda Pruitt said...

When you wrote that your oven went out, I thought: I wonder if she could get by with the Breville and the crockpot, the microwave and electric skillet? But then I know you have a lot of family over and so you probably do need the big honker oven to take care of all the food needs. That sounds like a great book. Kind of like me taking out on my own and finding I really could take care of myself, even though a certain someone had me convinced for years that I couldn't.
Brenda

Julie Marie said...

Hi Janie... those mums are gorgeous!... and it sounds like you have cool weather now, so they will keep... I have had panic attacks before and they are NOT fun... sometimes not even knowing what has triggered them... so I DO understand... so happy Al came home to be with you... see, he sensed you were uneasy... I think it is because of your upcoming surgery... and next time you will do fine!... good luck to you on that... and prayers for you for Monday... if you cannot type, please have one of your girls give us a little update... xoxo... Julie Marie

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

Hope your oven and dishwasher get fixed. Best of luck on your hand surgery too. How sweet that Alan came home...you two have ESP.

Heard you were heading this way. Hope to see you.

Lisa @ Fern Creek Cottage said...

That is so sweet that your hubby came home early! You both just feel off w/o the other being there! I love my hubby dearly but kind of like t when he travels so I can just have a bowl of cereal for dinner. :) Your mums are so pretty!! I have been looking for some white ones but so far no luck! So excited for your trip to NC. Looking forward to your pictures and hearing all about it! Hope your repairs go well. No more living like a pioneer woman for you! ha ha!

Vel Criste said...

Hope that Sears guy is good so you can get things done before the surgery. I also hope that that panic attack thing never sneaks up on you again, that book seems like a good read, I'm trying to read A Tree grows in Boorklyn if I can ;-) Happy for you about Asheville! Your mums are beautiful dear and that recipe sounds doable for a even a novice cook like moi. Thanks!

Melanie said...

I just left you a comment on your previous post - part of it about going to Vegas - and now I just read your newest post and see you didn't go! lol It's too bad your hubby didn't get to go because of that mishap at O'Hare. That was such a sweet story of him going to the lake and then surprising you and coming home that night. I am very familiar with the book you mentioned. Have read it twice! Still on my bookshelf - one of the books I will always keep. It's a classic. What a perfect time for you to be going to Asheville - I bet it will be beautiful with all the fall colors. Your cornbread recipe sounds delicious. I made a pan of cornbread a few days ago and put the leftovers in the freezer. I think instead of merely reheating it and eating as is, I will make cornbread stuffing. TV...I rarely watch it, especially during the day. If I even turn on the TV at all during the day, it's only to watch Jeopardy. Well, I'm sure you're nervous about your upcoming surgery but I'm glad they're doing one hand at a time. At least that way you will have the use of one hand. Hope your range and dishwasher got fixed today!

Sonia said...

Hi Jane,
I've been out of the blogger loop lately and I'm catching up with all my favorite blogs this week. Love your car full of mums..just so pretty and I adore this time of year! Nice that you had some down time to go shopping. Love those Halloween gourds...how cute are they?!
Miss Bloomers

Carla from The River said...

I just loved that you shared what you did about missing your sweetheart. That is so sweet he came home. I really enjoyed that you shared. :-)
xx oo
Best to you with surgery.
And I will be excited to see your NC photos. :-)

Row homes and Cobblestones said...

Oh how much I enjoyed this post Jane. I enjoy when people share their beliefs and feelings. My heart felt happiness with your share of your settling in for an evening apart from your husband to only have your love rush home to be with you.

Crazy times we live in... Crazy with the airport problems.

I've never been to Vegas, honestly don't have a desire. Atlantic City is only 45 minutes from Philly but gambling leaves me cold.

Best of thoughts and prayers for your surgery.
Big hug,
Vera

Anonymous said...

I just know your surgery will go well and you will be good as new!!the trip sounds like some pretty exciting times, you flowers are amazing!!!!
I am switching to a voice activated program on my computer, my blog will disappear for a bit, see you soon

Art and Sand said...

I love your blog for all the random topics.

I do hope you get away to Vegas - weird problems at the airport.

deb @ frugal little bungalow said...

Love those happy squash ! :)

You know that's really something that you both had the strange feelings...perhaps for some unknown reason he was not meant to be there a second day and your gardian angels were working OT that day...who knows :)

I love cornbread stuffing / this made me wish I had some right now. And mashed potatoes, turkey and gravy too, ha ha !!

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Too bad about the Vegas trip for hubby, Jane. My hubby was in Chicago for work that week and due to come home Friday when all that crazy happened. He wound up driving back with someone else from work. Apparently, it is about 4-4 1/2 hours to/from us.

Your new found nursery sounds a lot like the one I found here called Grandma's Garden. They have such lovely flowers and plants, as well as a fairy garden area in one of the buildings. I love looking at their fairy garden displays. I am hoping to put something together here and have found the perfect spot.

My Little Home and Garden said...

Your life sounds like a busy one! Your dinner looks delicious, the mums are lovely and I made a note of the book title. I trust your hand surgery will go beautifully on Monday!

Karen

Unknown said...

My husband is at our lakehouse now. A friend of ours there is not expected to live and they called for him to come down. I feel uneasy when he's gone without me too. I don't like being alone at night.

Hoping your surgery is a success and you recover quickly. Take care and have a great weekend.

Theresa said...

I was wondering if you would be making your trip to Vegas! I had been hearing about the troubles at the airport! Those MUMS are MUMILICIOUS! LOVE the colors! I will be praying that your surgery and the healing will be successful and quick! Have a blessed and beautiful FALL Day!

Susie said...

Blondie, The best part of this post...where your husband came right back home to you. I was thinking I would write to you and say,"never not go with your man when you can...Your kids are grown, the house will wait as will the lawn...Love should not wait." I had the best feeling as I read that he was at the door and you slept well. Bless you both. xoxo,Susie

Vicki @ lifeinmyemptynest said...

I'm planting mums today! I know what you mean about getting them out too soon - I like them to last thru November. Best wishes on your surgery next week!

Lulu said...

Before starting to read I made a cup of coffee so that I could feel like we were chatting over the kitchen table. You will enjoy Asheville. We stopped there on our drive from Houston to Maine and had great fun exploring the galleries. Dinner at the Grove Park Inn was a delight, too.

Sherry @ Thrift My House said...

I love your happy ending.. your husband came home and the stove and dishwasher are getting fixed! Who could ask for more LOL! That book sounds intriguing Jane.. I need to find it. And you KNOW I live in NC. A long way from Ashville though, I'm closer to Atlantic beach.
The mums are gorgeous. Have fun with those... and I enjoyed catching up with you today! Have a great rest of the week friend!
Sherry
xoxox

Jacqueline said...

What scary news about the airport. Glad things got cancelled with that kind of craziness going on.
Wow, what a fun place. I love that tree with the gourds and the fun wire pumpkins.
My mom discovered cornbread stuffing years ago - love it! I Could eat just it!

Traci said...

People are so awful! It's amazing all of the commotion that was caused at the airport. Sounds like you have a great hubs!

Sarah said...

I was flying home from France on Friday and was happy that I was flying to Dallas rather than Chicago. I flew through Chicago on the way over.
Your rainbow mums are gorgeous. I'm going to see what the plant centers have this weekend. It's time to replant my garden containers for fall and winter. Lots of work to do around here.
Sweet ending to your post. '-)

A Joyful Cottage said...

Thank you for leaving the sweet comment on Lin's post at my blog, Jane. I pray your hand surgery goes well. Your husband sounds like a great guy, so in tune with you. The mums are lovely. Blessings ~ Nancy

June said...

Wow Jane, the mums are gorgeous! Your trip to the new garden center was a good choice because they are so pretty and for a great price.
I know a little how you feel when your husband's not home, I'm getting more like that all the time. You asked if I ever stayed overnight in my little cottage? I used too, but one night a huge storm hit and a tree fell on my car and I was all alone and it scared me a little and so I only stay the night when Dale goes with the camper too. I had to catch a ride back to town with a cowboy who was coming up the road to look over his cattle. Now we park the camper right next to it so I have a bathroom. That was always the scary part, because even during the night if I had to 'go' I had to go out in the dark by myself. I was a brave girl until about 3yrs ago and now I don't think I would have the nerve to stay by myself.
I love reading your posts and living vicariously through you :))))
sending big hugs...

Deb said...

Good morning Jane,
I love garden centres/shops like this ! The mum's are gorgeous,such pretty colours.
Your upcoming November trip sounds wonderful...something to look forward to.
Will be thinking of you Monday xo

Maria Elena said...

Good luck on your surgery, Jane. I will be praying for a quick recovery. I saw on the news that mess with the airport. I am glad you didn't get caught in it. Ooooh, I get those anxiety feelings also. I know you were happy to see him back home. :)BTW, the stuffing looks amazing. YUM!

Barbara @ 21 Rosemary Lane said...

Jane best of luck with your surgery and wishing you a speedy recovery! We were in Virginia last November and it was gorgeous...I am sure NC will be stunning at that time as well. Beautiful mums and a cute little shop...the fall is filled with so much color and inspiration!
XO Barbara
PS after superstorm Sandy we were without power for 8 days and we did A LOT of grilling! One thing that save my butt was having cast iron skillets for cooking and pot to boil water!

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

Asheville will be so fun in November Jane, so much better than Vegas.
I heard about that airport incident, what a mess.
I think that Al came back from the lake is so sweet. What a honey of a guy.
Hey my dishwasher is about crap and Dan just fixed my stove.
Last month we bought a new washer/dryer. when it rains it pours. We head to Phoenix on Tuesday. With out forecast for this weekend, I won't mind the heat. They said the S word for Saturday nite already. Ugh. Tomorrrow is Addison's 4th bithday, hard for me to believe.
Hugs friend and let me know about the surgery,sending hugs and prayers.
Love ya,
Cindy

Teresa@1800 Farmhouse Rd said...

Love your mums!! I have not bought any due to the awfully hot weather we are still having, but that is suppose to change tonight.....yay!! Best of luck with your hand/healing.

Lori E said...

Surgery? Oh no!! I hope it goes well for you. Make sure you follow doctor's orders afterwards.
Crazy about the airport guy. That would be a real worry.
I have been in the dying appliance boat a few times. So frustrating. It will feel good to get things all fixed again although it sounds like you are making out just fine on the grill.

RURAL said...

Love those Mums..they are such bright and beautiful colors. Are they perennial where you live? I know that there are perennial mums out there, but now that i think of it, where are mine?

Love that book,someone else recommended it to me also...

And enjoy that upcoming trip, sounds like a lot of fun.

Jen

Stonecropsister said...

Hi Jane,
I just wanted to drop you a note that I loved this post. I hope you are doing well, and that we will see more posts from you soon. Those mums are so beautiful, I am definitely going out tomorrow for some colour at our front door. Fall is my favourite time of year. I love the ambers, burgundies, and greens. It's a restful time of year. Looking forward to your next update!

Kind regards, Nancy (stonecropsister.com)

Mary Ann Pickett said...

Hope it's all repaired and in good shape now! Your post has me so excited for Fall.

Mary Ann Pickett said...

PS Saying sprayer all goes well on Monday.

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

I read all the series Joan Anderson wrote and really enjoyed them.

Such a fun shop that Emily and you enjoyed together.

I will be praying for God's protection on you during your surgery and for a speedy recovery.

Fondly,
Glenda

Debbie said...

Hi Jane...the mums look great, even in the back of the car!! what cute little treasure you saw at the garden shop.
Your grilled dish sure looks yummy!
I just love your story about your honey coming home to you, Jane. No wonder your heart melted when he was standing at the door, just wanting to be home, near you. Makes my eyes water. YOU should write a novel.
Your surgery will be over before you know it, and you'll be home in a cozy chair, with a good book. It will all be okay, because you have your sweetie to take good care of you.
Have a wonderful trip, sweet girlfriend.
Love, and hugs to you.
Debbie
xo

Kit said...

Good luck on your surgery! Your trip to Ashville sounds great. My youngest visited there once and she said the Biltmore was wonderful. Take care. Kit

Unknown said...

Hi Jane,
I loved your story about your husband coming home to you. SO sweet! :) Your book sounds interesting too.
I'll have to check that out. :)
~Liz