Thursday, August 21, 2014

FLOWER GARDENING AND ALL SORTS OF WINGED CREATURES






Sunday night we headed out to a new restaurant on Fish Lake.  It was excellent.  It's not always easy to find a good steak or tasty pasta in the wide open country so I think we'll be back to this place.  We arrived back at the ranch, made a fire in the chimnea and sat back to listen to the bull frogs and look at the stars.  And then Ella peeked out the patio door and said, "Aunt Jane, there's a bird in the house."  I thought, okay, that's happened.  I told her I would be in in a second to take care of it.  And then it occurred to me..what sort of bird do you have flying around at night?  "Oh, Ella...what does the bird looks like?"  She replied, "It's big and black."  Okay, Red Alert.  The Husband ran for the fishing net and we cautiously came in.  Snow and Ella were cowering on the settee while the menacing flying rodent swooped here and there.   The dogs were barking at the sight of The Husband frantically running like a mad man with the fishing net, and of course the bat was swooping high and low and whizzing past our covered heads. Thankfully, after about ten minutes, The Husband was able to snag it.  I wish I could say all was well, but I knew, deep in my heart of hearts, that the creepy little monster had not just swooped in through an open door.  He (and his many friends and relatives, I'm sure) have a way in and a way out.  Probably in the stone wall around the fireplace or perhaps in a crevice near the attic.  Our house has settled and shifted so much on this marshy ground, anything is possible.  Since that night we haven't been terrorized by any more, but I have to get an exterminator out.  We've had them in the attic before and they just smoke them out...very humane.  


As if we didn't have enough excitement that night, I awoke about 5:00 a.m. to get a glass of water.  I was sort of puzzled that Layla didn't follow me to the kitchen.  When I got back into bed, I felt around for her under the blankets.  No sign of her.  I tried to quietly call for her without waking up the house...but no Layla.  I actually peeked in The Miller's room thinking maybe Ella had coaxed her in, but again, no Layla.  I did get to see Craig in his boxers and I'm trying to get that image out of my mind.  Finally I went outside.  The doors were unlocked...typical men.  They had come to bed hours after we girls.  All I could think was somehow Layla had gotten out.  I walked around the yard and stood in the driveway calling her name.  Michiana Trash & Recycling drove by and waved.  Yes, there I was in my ragged pink jammies and hair sticking up all over.  I went back inside with my heart in my throat and into the bedroom to get dressed.  Obviously I'd have to search, whether along the lake or down the road.  North and south and east and west.  By then The Husband was up and wandering around outside calling her as well.  And then I heard something like a whimper...it was hard to tell since I can't hear that well, I looked towards our bed and I saw the blankets moving.  I pulled the quilt off the bed and saw a lump down near the floor at the end of the bed.  I pulled back the top sheet and there she was like a ladybug on it's back trying to turn over, caught between the half pulled out top sheet, a hammock of sorts. And stuck swaddled on her back!  She must have just rolled off the bottom of the bed and the tucked in sheet caught her!  I nearly cried in relief!

So that was my wonderful Monday morning.  It then proceeded to rain 2 straight days.  Comcast came out and you'll never guess why I haven't had Internet since May.  I got a new laptop and apparently you are supposed to change your network and password.  Oh joy.  So I'm back in the game.  Well except for at home...that's a whole different issue, but I'll try to keep my problems in check by locale if anything. 

 







These are some of the flowers.  Yellow coneflowers.









I can barely hold my eyes open but I haven't posted for over a week.  We are going home tomorrow and then we're off to Madison, Wi., bright and early Saturday morning.  Then it's back to reality and trying to figure out where to put three rooms of furniture while we  have the carpet put in.  Maybe I should just stay here a bit longer...bats and all. ;-)

XO,
Jane

31 comments:

Pondside said...

Whew - I'm tired too after running behind your husband as he chased a bat, digging the new bed, looking for Layla, doing all that cooking getting ready for the carpet-laying!! Jane, you pack more into a week than anyone!

Tommie Jo said...

Hi Miss Blondie! It's been a while since I've visited your blog! Sounds like you have stayed busy and productive. I love your choice of flowers...beautiful! Glad your baby was safe. Our little mini dachshund loves to burrow under our covers too but luckily never gotten lost in there, lol!~TJ

Rita C at Panoply said...

Hi Jane, good to hear from you..I've missed your journaling, and glad you've got at least one locale up & running again.

I remember when I was 14, babysitting for one of my first times, and a bat flew into my sister's apt - I ran down to the neighbor's and left the baby in the crib! They guessed it flew in through the stove exhaust pipes somehow.

I love your garden plants - wow, what a JOB, planting All 34 in one fell swoop! I bet you two were passing the Advil that night! It's going to look awesome!

Glad Layla was safe and sound. Enjoy your weekend!
Rita

Theresa said...

Oh that's a good tired:) I love creating a beautiful garden with the help of a willing husband! I know you are enjoying your lake time! Have a blessed weekend dear Jane, HUGS!

Kathleen Grace said...

Hi Jane, the stew looks so good! I am actually starting to think of hot, cozy meals to make again after living on chicken salad, greens and veggies all summer.
The story about your dog had me laughing out loud. Poor little Layla, trapped in a cozy hammock of covers while you search the property. Lol, that is the down side of tiny dogs, they get themselves caught in a crevice somewhere and you can't find them.
Your garden is going to be so gorgeous! The yellow coneflowers are beautiful, I need to look for some here, and I'm sure you know that coneflowers draw butterflies, so that will be an added bonus. That's a ton of hard work though!

Mary said...

Hearing of your really busy time at the lake was so much fun - and seeing A out there rototilling, with you in pink jammies, doggie searching, and chasing bats etc. etc. left me giggling.

I needed cheering up as we have just lost Bob's dear mom (96) after 10 days of real sadness as she gradually faded away - it has been hard on the family. this weekend we'll fly to NH for the burial and then take a few days to relax along the cost of Maine before coming home.

Enjoy remaining Summer days - will you be in the NC mountains this Fall?

Love, Mary

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

Poor Layla! I can see you waving to the trash men, lol.

Your garden is going to be beautiful. The flowers you chose are just perfect for an English garden.

Teresa@1800 Farmhouse Rd said...

Oh Blondie, I wanted to laugh at the Layla story, but cry at the same time. I would have panicked and gone to any extreme to find that baby, and wouldn't have cared what I looked like, lol. So glad she was ok!
Now, we will just have to agree to disagree on this summer/fall thing. I have been doing my best to conjure up fall, lol, but of coarse we are having temps around 115 here with our Mississippi humidity that we are so popular for. Oh, did that stew look wonderful, and the very first thing that I thought when I saw the picture was...fall. Have a great week end!

Karen thisoldhouse2.com said...

Your flower beds are gonna look fantastic!

And I don't cook well with husband either.. he is full of advice even though I have been cooking for this family for 25 years. *sigh*

podso said...

Wow Jane I was on the edge of my seat, especially the bat story. Hmm… you do keep busy! Your flowers look pretty and worth all the work. We love to eat sliced tomatoes right off the vine. We have just a few stragglers left but are enjoying them thoroughly. Have a nice weekend … I guess you are still at the lake.

Vel Criste said...

First of all, I can tell why you enjoy the lakehouse all the more, with friends that you have? I wouldn't mind living close by either. Layla and Ella look absolutely adorable in the picture. And I'm so glad nothing happened to Layla for real. Bats are nasty, and dangerous because they can be rabid, so be careful and make sure you take care of that. Love the flower bed your inspired with, and I know in your able hands, you will have something close if not better. :-)

Susie said...

Blondie, Good friends and good food. I love the little Ella holding your dog. So sweet. You are going to have the prettiest gardens. I love the flowers you chose.Blessings for a great weekend, xoxo,Susie

deb @ frugal little bungalow said...

LOL ALL of your posts have so much going on and are so interesting that I am never sure what to comment on but I will say in this one that you are a Mistress of Suspense...I was so worried about Layla along with you :)

And I enjoyed it all, as usual :)

Marigene said...

There is never a dull moment in your life, Jane! Between the bat and a lost Layla I would have had a migraine...and no energy to plant all those gorgeous flowers.
I think I would stay at the cottage and enjoy the new garden while the new carpet is being installed!
Have a great weekend.

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

That's a whole lot of stuff happening at once. Can you please send hubby over? We've got a lizard roaming around our place. It was in the kitchen yesterday and I cornered it twice but hubby wasn't fast enough. Who knows where he is now ... lost in all the mess around here (the lizard, not hubby) Ha! :) The flower garden is gonna look great. We went plant shopping yesterday. Always fun! Have a great trip. Tammy

Kit said...

I just love the fact that you are holding on to summer! Me too. I am not ready to put up the fall decor and surrender to colder temps. Love your stories of the lake and I love your idea for your garden. Great flowers. :) Kit

Scribbler said...

Bats! We think we might have had one in the attic, but don't know what happened to it.

Your English garden will be so beautiful!

RURAL said...

That garden is going to be your pride and joy, and you will look back in a few seasons and exclaim "my I didn't know it would turn out so beautiful."

Jen

Mary@mydogsmygardenandmary said...

Oh Jane, you are so funny. I love reading your posts.
First, the bat would have scared me to death. So glad that you got it out of the house.
I would have had an heart attack if I couldn't find one of my dogs. I am sure you were so scared. I am so glad that you found her, poor baby.
Your flowers are so lovely - are they for your home in the city or at the Lake?
Your garden is looking grand. I have gotten tomatoes, zucchini and spaghetti squash out of my little garden. Love home grown tomatoes.
Have a great week. Guess you will be heading back to the Lake for Labor Day - have a wonderful time.
Mary

Anonymous said...

oh my bats in the house are something scary I remember too well!!!! I was on the edge of my chair hearing about Layla, what a little sweet heart, I'm so glad of a happy ending, the meals you had were lovely and your new flower garden will be amazing, lots of blue, I love a touch of blue in every garden,

Karen (Back Road Journal) said...

I had to chuckle during the post. First at the sight of the bat catching incident and of you waving to the trash people in your pink jamies. Your garden is going to be absolutely beautiful…love the flowers you decided upon.

Lisa @ Texas Decor said...

Glad little Layla was safe and sound! I can just imagine your panic as you called for her. Be careful with those bats. Hopefully you can get rid of them soon. Your garden is going to be beautiful!!! I love the flowers you chose! Looks like you thought it out and did a great job planting everything. Lookin' good!

Beth said...

Your flower bed will be beautiful, Jane! Love the coneflowers! Glad Layla is a-ok and like you, I will enjoy summer till it's past...really hot here but that IS summer, after all. Have a great week!
Hugs, Beth

Traci said...

I'm sitting here dying laughing at the thought of your hubs running around with the net!! I love the picture of the garden. It's going to be gorgeous!!

Vee said...

Bats...they are rather freaky.

Oh what a wonderful garden...such a lot of work! It will be worth it when you have those flowers well established.

chateau chic said...

First of all, the food at the beginning of your post looks and sounds amazing! What a time with the bat in the house...that would really freak me out!
Your garden plants look so pretty!
Mary Alice

TexWisGirl said...

hi, blondie! thanks for coming by!

glad layla was safe and sound - hammocked. :) we used to get bats in the old farmhouse i grew up in in wisconsin. at least once or twice a summer. eek! :)

SmilingSally said...

Hi Jane,

Whew! You've been busy. I'm so glad to hear about the future grandbaby.

We have seven, and the first greatone will arrive in December!

Jane and Lance Hattatt said...

Hello Jane,

What a fun filled time you are having!

We lived with bats in our roof space for years when we lived in the countryside in England. They are a protected species and generally cause no harm. They do, however, look quite alarming and we can totally empathise with your antics of trying to catch them. This used to be a reasonably regular event for us when our cats decided that they would like to play at night!

Your border looks as if it has all the makings of being a beautiful mix of colour and form. The Echinaceas are really wonderful and increase year on year. They may well enjoy your rocky soil as they like it to be quite well drained. Such hard work, though, preparing the ground.

It all sounds as if you are going to need a holiday to recover from the holiday. Still, that is what makes summer special. Yes, hang on to it!

Maria Elena said...

Jane, sounds like you have been pretty busy. First, I am so glad Layla was ok. I can only imagine how you felt when you couldn't find her. Can't believe the bat got in the house. Glad your husband caught it. Your garden looks beautiful! I know it was a lot of work, but sooo worth it. Get some rest and enjoy the rest of your week. Maria

Sherry @ Thrift My House said...

Hey there Jane! You've been busy! I enjoyed reading about your experience at the lake. I was holding my breath through most of it. Glad all is well. Your flower bed is going to be gorgeous. And those tomatoes! Mouth watering! Happy Week!