Friday, July 31, 2015

CELEBRATIONS

 
Here's my pretty picture blog post starter and as per usual, if it's outdoors, Milo is photo bombing.  These are not day lily's, they're some sort of perennial type  (Help, Beth!) that bloom for weeks.  I'm looking at bulb catalogs---already, and I'm going to add in some additional colors. I love that these come up where my tulips have died off.  It's hard to see but I have my wee little lilac right in the center.  As it grows it will bloom right after the tulips and daffodils.  Excuse the weeds in the forefront...may do a bit of ground cover or low growing flowers here.  Any other suggestions? 
 
 
 
I continue to spend a lot of time outside but it's mostly just relaxing or putting the sprinkle on my garden bed under eaves.  I like watching it go back and forth and the steam rising from the hot ground.  Yes, it hit the 90's here this week.  I simply need that restful time and clean air and the dogs do, too...although in this weather I watch them closely and get them in when they start to pant.  Have I talked about this already?  My mind is gone.  Seriously. 
 
*
 
I wanted to show you this sweet little Morning Glory sprout...a volunteer most definitely.  They grow every year up my porch railings about 10 feet away.  All from dropped seeds from the previous summer.  And this little guy is growing in one of the many cracks on my 80 year old concrete patio.   It's starting to wind around the leg of my old baker's rack (which I had planned to sand and give a new coat of paint on this summer).  Today I decided to help my little sprout along and pressed a little potting soil in and around it and sprinkled some water from the dog bowl.  Wouldn't it be a hoot if it bloomed?  I've read that you can sprinkle thyme seeds in cracks of your stone or pavers or whatever you want.  Add a little sand or potting soil to get it off to a good start.  When you walk on it you have the sweet release of it's scent.  Since we will probably never get this patio redone, that might make things more nice. :)
 
 
 
In a last ditch effort to trim down---at least lose some water and puffiness, we are eating salads as much as possible.  No true recipe here.  Just a mix of baby lettuces, some cous cous, shredded seasoned chicken that I did on the stove in a cast iron grill pan and then tossed with a lemon/herb vinaigrette.  I had some rolls leftover from some sandwiches we had for lunch Sunday and I wanted to use them up so I drizzled olive oil on them and grilled them right in the same pan where they picked up the herbs. I know the bread was a bit overdone but it was good.  I think I've dashed my hopes of being a future Foodie Blogger/Photographer. ;-)   I could rave about this forever.  I meant to add some black beans for more protein but forgot.  Play with this.  Omit the chicken if you'd like. 
 
 
 
These are the shoes I finally decided on for my niece's wedding Saturday.  My dress is a long black light weight knit (Michael Kors), with a low V-neck and cap sleeves that slip down a bit over the shoulders.  An empire band of about an inch or so wide and simple pleats just below.  We have a wonderful local gal that does alterations on the side and since I'm only 5'2 I have to have everything hemmed.  I had her take it up just below my calves and I really wanted a sort of  "statement" shoe and to elongate my body.  Am I overthinking this?  I think not, I know what looks right on me.  As for that heel, since it's chunky I'm good.  If it were thin, forget it.  I don't roll that way anymore. 
 
*
 
I scoured a few stores and a mall this week (enjoyed the air conditioning).  I finally ordered these on Zappos as I knew was crunch time.  I have always loved Zappos for their next day free delivery, I think that's why they were so popular.  Well, no more.  It's free delivery for 5-7 business days but most online shops have free delivery almost always or for when you reach a certain dollar amount on your order.  To get these in 2-3 days I had to pay $15.00.  Never again but I was afraid I wouldn't get them in time. 
 
*
 
Things took a turn on Tuesday morning when my sister in law passed away.  Suddenly perhaps, although she had been ill and quite frail for the past few years.  She was the wife of The Husband's older brother.  Phil is 64 but Jean was several year older...still 71 is way too young for me.  She injured her back years ago and then re-injured it several times more.  Surgery was not an option and she became less and less active due to the pain and difficulty getting around.  It makes me sad because she was always on the go.  We used to get together for lunch every once in awhile and as couples for dinner.  And then of course holidays.  I will tell you more about her at a later time and I want to find some pictures of her from my many bins.  I will tell you she was an extraordinary woman.  Her diminutive size was juxtaposed by her sarcastic wit and throaty laugh.  Her career centered around teaching at schools for the deaf.  When I first met her I was a little frightened--she was outspoken and a bit brusque.  At some point we came to understand one another and I found that she was actually a bit shy under this demeanor.  I came to love her so much.  She really had a heart of gold.  She once rescued three Bassett Hounds in one day from a pet shop when she found they were going to be euthanized due to their age (14 months), and size. They were her best friends right up until the end. 
 
Sadly, she developed pneumonia last week and then suffered a heart attack.  She may have been able to live on a ventilator which I dare say she would not have wanted.  But her organs began to shut down and she went peacefully with Phil and their son Flip (Phil Jr.) by her side.  She was here at our BBQ on the 4th of July.  They were elated to tell us that Flip and his wife were expecting their first grandchild.  I'm so grateful she was alive to know that.  Okay-tears falling. 
 
The memorial is tomorrow night so we will not be leaving for Louisville tomorrow morning as planned.  Instead bright and early, early, early Saturday morning (I hate getting up early and have been know to hit snooze and hide my alarm or cell phone under the mattress).  And I have a hair appointment near the hotel at 3:00 that I can't miss.  With the cast...what can I say.  My hair has been a mess for over a month and you ought to see me try to put on make up! 
 
I had an appointment to have X-rays and hopefully get the cast off tomorrow morning.  Dr. B told me three weeks.  Tonight I got a phone message 'after hours' to call and reschedule my appointment for unknown reasons. I wanted to cry.  It's not so much that I want to be healed and get out of the cast.  I can understand if the fractures aren't healed but I truly wanted at least a new cast.  This feels and is so disgusting.  I've of course gotten parts of it wet so it looks dingy and I have chafing and a rash on my arm and calluses and blisters on the base of my thumb where it rubs.  I go through  cotton balls like crazy, stuffing them in the cast trying to buffer all of this craziness.  And now I have to go to Louisville for three days like this?  And Martha Stewart may or may not be there (Jaime is a Senior Editor at Martha's wedding magazine---it might figure, at least a lot of press). Can you imagine her wrinkling her nose if she meets me and gets a whiff of the cast?  I'm going to call the clinic tomorrow and inquire about another physician and/or the possibility of simply having this cast taken off and a new one put on.  I just can't believe my rotten luck. 
 
I'll close now.  Tomorrow we celebrate Jean's life and Saturday, 350 miles away we celebrate the life of a sweet couple.  And as usual, for me and my life lately it seems, there's a path that twists and turns in ways that I can't always seem to follow. 
 
See you next week with some good stuff, I hope!!!  And Happy Weekend (almost!)
 
Jane xx
 
 

42 comments:

podso said...

Wow you expressed it well there in your last sentence or two. Amazing things going on. I do hope you get your cast off or changed but either way, enjoy the wedding. Sorry to hear about your sister in law. That's tough.

Stacey said...

I'm so sorry about your sister in law. Bless her and your brother in law.

We are eating salads here too because of all the fun we've had eating. It's working and it's very motivating. Hey, I'm down 2 pounds...I'll take it! Keep us posted and take pictures of yourself in that pretty dress and shoes.

Gina said...

I am sorry to hear about your sister-in-law. It's always hard when there are happy occasions & sad occasion all at once. I do love the shoes, so try to enjoy the wedding.

Theresa said...

So sorry about the passing of your Sister-in-law! That is very sad and yes that is way too young:( Well, I wish you could get the cast off or at least a new one! Sorry about the appointment getting rescheduled! Love those pretty flowers! Blooms always make me smile! Enjoy your day dear friend! HUGS!

Anonymous said...

oh Jane I am so sorry to hear of the passing of your sister inlaw, she sounds like a great lady,, we just never know do we.
Your outfit sounds lovely for the wedding, I hope they can help you with your cast but if not, don't worry, all eyes will be on the bride,
it will be a circus media frenzy if Martha shows up, wow!
I had a flower bed of Naturalizing Lilies that looked quite a bit like yours, they were a perennial that produced the very same blooms,

Blogoratti said...

So sorry to hear about your in law passing, sad indeed. Best wishes always.

Anonymous said...

Hi Janie! Oh, I'm so sorry to hear about your sister in law! We just never know do we? I'm sorry you've had so much trouble with your arm and that old cast! I do hope you can get a new one or a sling or something. Your dress sounds pretty and I love your shoes! You take care.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Susie said...

Blondie, I am so sorry for the loss of your SIL. So glad you became friends with her...that sure helps with family gatherings and our lives. She sounds amazing truly. Girl, You know I have shoe envy.LOL...I love all the heels you show us, even though my heel days are over. Maybe you could wrap a piece of lacy or gauzy material around your cast for the wedding. You know anything goes. Or craft paint it. Please have a safe trip to and from the wedding. Blessings, xoxo,Susie

NancyB said...

Sending my condolences on the passing of your SIL. See you at the wedding - safe travels - N

Bluebird49 said...

Oh dear! So much happening! I can tell you were fond of your SIL and 71 is young these days, but I'm glad it was a peaceful departure. So, so sorry, Jane!

This has been some week--and now the cast problem? I'd be pulling out what little hair I have left, and I hope you can get it changed. Wow... Martha Stewart? I'd faint! Wish you'd modeled your dress and shoes for us! :)

I really wish I liked to garden, and knew about plants. Of course, this sandy soil may not grow much. I've always just been more a "crafter/reader/music/art type", I guess... doing many things, and none well at all. I do love to look at nature's beauty, though.

I hope you can somehow get through tonight, and then have a good getaway for the wedding. I know it will be quite beautiful and hope to hear lots about it. Please get something non-codeine for pain... just in case! {{{ }}}

Primitive Stars said...

Morning Jane, so sorry to hear about your SIL, heartbreaking....wishing you a good wedding getaway, you need it. Blessings Francine.

Unknown said...

I hope you can at least get a new cast, better yet, if it could be removed. I'll be thinking of you this weekend. Sending you positive thoughts!!

Kathleen Grace said...

I am so sorry to hear about your sister in law, she sounds like an amazing lady.I hope you can get a new cast, who cares about Martha wrinkling her nose, (the woman served prison time, I'm sure she has seen worse!) maybe you can get her to sign it . lol. Seriously though, I hope you can get it changed out if only for your own comfort!

Kim said...

I am so sorry to hear about your sister in law, Jane. Where are those ordinary days when you need them? Make noise about the cast. My daughter's doctor replaced her icky one, because he was afraid that she'd get a fungal infection from the wetness. Ps- nice shoes.

Lorrie said...

So many twists and turns going on in your life just now. I'm sorry to hear about your sister-in-law's passing, Jane. You will miss her robust approach to life. I do hope that you can have your cast replaced before heading off on Saturday. Your dress sounds lovely.

Helen Philipps said...

I was so sorry to hear of the loss of your sister in law, and send you my condolences, Jane. Such a sad time for you all.
I can imagine how you feel about wanting the cast removed or at least replaced before your trip...I do hope it can be done for you in time. I am sure you will look wonderful.......the shoes are lovely.
Helen xox

Joy@aVintageGreen said...

Hugs Jane and prayers for your family. Surely hope you can get the cast off/replaced.

Art and Sand said...

I do hope you get the cast taken care of - nothing worse than thinking something will happen and then having it postponed.

I had tears falling as I read about your sister-in-law. 71 is way too young since so many of my friends are that age and I am just 4 years behind.

Karen thisoldhouse2.com said...

So sorry to hear of your loss, Jane - and if I were you I would ask to have a new cast put on, tell them you're going to a martha Stewart Associates wedding and you absolutely cannot be seen with that old one on!... Or, if that just ain't gonna do it.. buy a roll of vetwrap in a color that will match your outfit and just cover it... it's really easy to use and won't hurt at all.

Melanie said...

I am so sorry to hear about your sister-in-law. She sounded so full of life.
Best of luck with your cast...the old one sounds awful. I hope you can at least get a new one put on.
Your new shoes are so pretty...like I've said before, I wish I could still wear heels like that. You're lucky you have "good" feet.
The area that your lilies are in...is it a mostly shady area? Pachysandra is a great ground cover. Though it REALLY spreads throughout the years and is hard to dig up because the stems and roots are so strong. Don't know if that's what you'd want or not.
Hope you have a great time at the wedding in Louisville!

Junkchiccottage said...

Hi Jane,
Sorry about your SIL that is really so sad. Good she got to know a grandchild was on the way. Cute shoes love!
Have fun at the wedding. Wishing you safe travels.
Kris

Linda said...

Bless your heart!! I am so sorry about you losing your sister in law. 71 really is young these days! I love that she knew about the grandchild coming. The circle of life.....

I have the same little clover like weed here in my yard. At least I think it is the same. I love that weed!

God speed on seeing another doctor! I hope you take a pic if Martha Stewart is there!! Take pics anyway!!! We want to see YOU!!

Sarah said...

Jane, sad to hear of the loss for your family. My thoughts are with your family as you grieve. They will also be with you as you celebrate the young couple. Good luck with the cast. Your dress sounds lovely. Can't beat a black dress in one's closet. I have very few dresses, and my black ones are the work horses. Just posted a photo of my recent wedding attire.
Safe travels.

Barbara F. said...

Sorry to hear about your SIL. 71 is young. At least she is at peace and pain free. Have a good weekend and enjoy the wedding.

Doreen@foxdenrd said...

That's so sad Jane. She sounds like a wonderful person, and I'm sure will be missed.

Life does has a way of taking us by surprise, just when we think everything is good. May she rest in peace.

Love your shoes, but chunky or not, too high for me! Three inches is my limit

xxx

Anonymous said...

This is my testimony about the good work of a man who helped me..My name is OLIVIA DEAN. and I base in London.My life is back!!! After 8 years of marriage, my husband left me and left me with our three kids. I felt like my life was about to end,and was falling apart. Thanks to a spell caster called papa Justus who i met online. On one faithful day, as I was browsing through the internet, I was searching for a good spell caster that can solve my problems. I came across series of testimonies about this particular spell caster. Some people testified that he brought their Ex lover back, some testified that he restores womb, some testified that he can cast a spell to stop divorce and so on. There was one particular testimony I saw, it was about a woman called grace,she testified about how papa Justus brought back her Ex lover in less than 72 hours and at the end of her testimony she drop papa Justus e-mail address. After reading all these,I decided to give papa a try.

I contacted him via email and explained my problem to him. In just 3 days, my husband came back to me. We solved our issues, and we are even happier than before. papa Justus is really a talented and gifted man and i will not to stop publishing him because he is a wonderful man...If you have a problem and you are looking for a real and genuine spell caster to solve that problem for you. Try the great papa Justus today, he might be the answer to your problem. Here's his contact: drabeljustus@gmail.com
Thank you great Justus. Contact him for the following:

(1)If you want your ex back.
(2) if you always have bad dreams.
(3)You want to be promoted in your office.
(4)You want women/men to run after you.
(5)If you want a child.
(6)[You want to be rich.
(7)You want to tie your husband/wife to be yours forever.
(8)If you need financial assistance.
(9)Herbal care
10)Help bringing people out of prison
(11)Marriage Spells
(12)Miracle Spells
(13)Beauty Spells
(14)PROPHECY CHARM
(15)Attraction Spells
(16)Evil Eye Spells
(17)Kissing Spell
(18)Remove Sickness Spells
(19)ELECTION WINNING SPELLS
(20)SUCCESS IN EXAMS SPELLS
(21) Charm to get who to love you.
(22)Business spell.
(23) Find your long lost family.
Contact him today on:
drabeljustus@gmail.com,
+2347033354868.
You can also CONTACT HIM ON whats-app on the same phone number.

Lisa @ Texas Decor said...

I'm so sorry about your sister in law. Bless them all. I'm kind of craving chicken grilled in an iron skillet now. That looks so good! I really need to add more salads to my diet. Love those shoes too!

Jenny S. said...

The heat index here has been between 101 to 112 for weeks now. So dog, cat, and I stay inside most days with occasional peeps outside during late, dusty dark afternoons. So sorry for the lose of a family member. Life happenings seem to go on no manner what our plans are. Life will always stop you in your tracks sometimes. Thinking of you and your family. GOD bless.

Sweet Cottage Dreams said...

Jane, sending lots of love and hugs for you and your family. I'm sorry to hear about Jean. She sounds like she made a positive impact to many who loved her..and her little dogs....

Love ya!

Beth said...

Hi Jane, So sorry to hear of the loss of your sister-in-law. So sad she didn't get to be here for her grandchild. Hope you got your cast changed and had a good time at the wedding. Your dress sounds lovely and I adore your shoes! Hope you got some pics to share! I do think your flowers are daylilies, at least that is what they look like. Daylilies are also known (Latin Name) as hemerocallis. They are a nicknamed "day"lilies as each individual bloom only lasts for one day. They sure are pretty, Jane! One of my favorite flowers.
Hugs, Beth

Elaine said...

I am sorry to hear about your sister in law. Sounds like you two were close. And yes 71 is way too young.

Milo is like my Percy. Every photo taken inside my home has Percy in it. The cat is a camera hog. And he just was featured in a friend's music video. I hope it doesn't go to his head.

Hope you have a great trip!

deb @ frugal little bungalow said...

I am so sorry to hear about your SIL :(

Vel Criste said...

You are just in an emotional roller coaster right now Jane, hugs to you and the rest of the family.... I hope the wedding will keep your glum away for awhile. Love the shoes btw!

Suzanne said...

So sorry for your loss. Keeping you and your family in my prayers.

Jemma@athomewithjemma said...

Jane,
I am so sorry for the loss of your Sister in Law, and thank you for sharing this tribute to her life. It is important to share the stories of those we love, it keeps their spirits alive.
On a brighter note, your heels look amazing and your dress not only sounds beautiful, I did see you on IG and it was beautiful as are you!
xo
Jemma

Rue said...

Oh honey... I'm so sorry. About your sister-in-law and about the cast issues. I pray that you catch a break soon. If I was there I'd help you, but all I can do is send a hug....


(((hugs))) and love,
rue

Deserae said...

I'm sorry for the loss of your sweet sister-in-law. Fingers crossed you can get a new cast put on. Love those shoes :O)
~Des

Traci said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your sister in law. She sounds like an amazing woman. Both of my dad's parents were deaf. I really like the shoes you found! I hope you can get a new cast & that Martha shows up! Have fun!

susan said...

I'm so sorry for the loss of your sister in law. It's never easy to lose someone you care about.
Hope you have a wonderful time at the wedding and get to meet Martha.

Barb said...

Janie, I'm sorry for your loss. Sending you my heart.....Hoping for the best for your cast. I totally understand.

You are awesome, Janie. You are!

xoxox
Barb

Mary@mydogsmygardenandmary said...

Oh Jane, I am so sorry to hear that your SIL died. I am so sorry that you didn't get your cast off either. I am sure you will look stunning in your new dress and beautiful shoes.
Elsie, is a beautiful baby and looks so cuddly. How fortunate for her that she has a wonderful grandma like you.
Have a terrific time at the wedding and safe travels.
Mary

Val said...

What a huge loss. She sounds like a firecracker. :) I'm so sorry for the loss of her. Safe travels--You're in my thoughts. ♥