Saturday, March 28, 2020

LIFE IN A PANDEMIC: STANDING TOGETHER







My pretty pic starter, as always.  I decided to try out this trendy succulent garden thing and to be honest, in four weeks my plants have doubled in size.  Home Depot is really going all out with sales on houseplants with spring and summer coming.  I think I have my daughters motivated in having a few little victims of their own.  One of my favorite IPhone apps is Picture This.  Perfect for identifying plants, weeds, trees, what have you.  Download the app, it's free unless you want add ons.  Briefly, you can take a snapshot of said plant, weed, etc., and it will identify it for you along with added pics of it and some background info.  I LOVE it.  I thought I had poison ivy at the lake last summer.  Thanks to this app I found that I had random English ivy which I pulled out pronto.  I learned the names of all these little succulents as well as how to care for them.  How cool is that?




Of course, there is a pandemic going on.  I have all the same feelings as you.  Our state is on a stay-at-home order.  All non-essential businesses are closed except grocery stores, pharmacies, medical clinics, etc.  Chicago is one of the 'hotspots, which means we have a huge number of cases, deaths, and the numbers are rising.  The news is ominous and I've always been a news fanatic.  I'm getting better in staying away but still staying informed.  

Poppy is not facing anything different as I am a stay-at-home dog mom on a full time basis.  Some pets are overjoyed that their humans are home all day.  Layla sleeps, but Poppy is in full antics mode.  She loves to snatch my clothes out of my hamper, it must be my familiar "scent"!  She doesn't chew anything up, just leaves it all strewn about.  Here she is color coordinating herself with one of my bras. ๐Ÿ˜‚





Our fam keeps it going through text threads.  They are all funny and uplifting, lots of pics of the kids.  And we FaceTime.  We did selfies one day, so here was my mood.  Does anyone put on makeup anymore?  Or get out of pajamas?  So many small changes from everyday life.  Should we have the cleaning girl come?  Sounds a little like an oxymoron as far as germs.  Hair salons are closed, hence my disgusting roots and grown-out cut. I actually cleaned up a little and put on some makeup (lest I forget how) the other day to go out in the backyard to clean up doggie doo-doo.  I try. 

 I've taken Poppy for walks and she's getting super good on a leash.  It's amazing to see people out on nice days, just taking walks or walking their dogs (and staying very far apart).  Last Sunday it was raining like hell but still warmish, and people were out with umbrellas, laughing and having a very obvious joyful time of it.  


And I have these jarring thoughts once in awhile.  We need to replace flooring in our family room--I've got to make some calls.  Oops, no one coming in my house.  I have blinds on order from Home Depot.  Where are they?  Welp, doesn't matter, they aren't coming in my house to install.  Okay, we wanted to have a new backyard fence done in the spring.  No prob, it's outside work.  No, have to look at styles and material, fill out forms, pay...no-no, no one coming in my house.  

It's all small stuff actually.  



I made a quick trip to a small grocery store last week just before our mandated shelter.  Of course I have the freedom to go, yet I know better with my lung problems. I was defiant and really wanted certain things.  I wore a hat, buttoned my coat to the neck, and wore fingerless gloves.  I almost hyperventilated trying not to breathe.  I saw one person with a mask on, just one.  And there were people doing big shopping-full carts, and laughing and smiling and chatting like it was an everyday thing (and yes, Chicago is like that normally).  Not sure about that logic, but it was before the order to stay home.

My kids have been really firm about The Husband and I not leaving the house.  Both Emily and Abby have picked up items we need from the grocery store.  I try not to burden them with things I know I'm out of, like brown sugar or yogurt.  Maybe that's a sign of what's to come when I'm really an elderly lady, not wanting to put anyone out, being dependent.  It truly frightens me.  I did find a few stores that deliver.  Tonight I ordered online with a store I generally shop at.  I was actually looking for a delivery time tomorrow afternoon.  I received a text fifteen minutes later that they were on the way.  I texted back that my preference had been tomorrow.  The reply was that they fill and deliver orders in 1 hour.  And then there it was on my porch.











Fruits and veggies that can be kept out of the fridge and actually stay fresher this way, can be so, so pretty.  I'm more inclined to use them when I have the visual.  I keep onions, shallots, garlic, and potatoes in bowls and baskets on another counter.  Looking for what to refrigerate or keep at room temp?  Have a peek at this link.








I climb into bed most nights about 9-10:00 p.m.  I read a bit, check out the news, Facebook, and Instagram.  It's all probably "stimulating", but when the words get blurry and my eyes are closing, I turn off the light and I'm out.  I have more books than I can read.  This is the stack on my nightstand.  Yes, I'm aware it's a lot of fluff, but I get caught up in books that are humorous and that's nice.  Next on my list are mysteries and thrillers, self-help books have always been interesting to me, and I try bestsellers often.  I usually have two books going at once, sometimes I want the drama, other times I want something light.  What are you reading?  I'll get back to you on that.

So, besides reading, I'm cooking.  I'm still not on board with taking and sharing hideous photos of my dishes.  Perhaps I can share recipes without the pics?  I'm also on a cleaning kick, I feel germy all the time.  The smell of Clorox is enticing.  I wash my hands after opening the mail.  It's a neurotic thing for a lot of us.  I read a funny, but pretty on the mark line somewhere...Another productive day: 8 hours of watching TV and 4 hours of thinking I have coronavirus.  


I leave you with a few questions related to this pandemic,  please feel free to weigh in:

I'm staying sane at home by...
The biggest change in my day to day life is...
I'm stocking up on these foods and items...
We are under these restrictions/mandates...
I'm reading...
Hobbies that keep my hands busy...
I get outdoors and do...

If you have anything else to add or ask, feel free.

Sending love and good wishes to all of you, along with prayers that you and yours stay healthy, safe, and well.  Prayers going out to our whole world๐Ÿ™

Jane x



24 comments:

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

Hi Jane, we've been at home for many weeks here and have a curfew from 5:00 p.m. until 4:00 a.m. Everything is closed, except of course the necessary places as you mentioned. My husband is working half days since things are really slow but as a business owner, it is hard for him to close completely and indefinitely. I have absolutely no problem being at home. Have so many things to keep me busy ... crochet, cross-stitch, art journaling. Many crafters and artists are offering free patterns and online workshops so have signed up for several of those. Right now I am reading Sapiens which is so very interesting. My last two books were The Uninhabitable Earth and Ikigai. I can't seem to bring myself to read fiction. There's so much about history we never learned and never question. All I can say is this is a time for reflection and a chance to chart a new course but too many want to dig their heels in and continue with business as usual even if it is no longer serving us well. I have been on a mission to use what we've got at home rather than always going out to buy more. I just installed the app you mentioned. I had a different one before but deleted it when I was running out of space on my phone. I don't usually put anything extra on my phone but am going to give this one a try since I love nature and am always curious to know what I am seeing. Kisses for the pups. Take care. Tammy

baili said...

how nice that you are enjoying your stay at home dear Jane

kids are concerned and this is why they are bit strict ,my eldest son is being strict as well

we don't have issue of things being short on store so no stock though vegetables ,meat and fruits are gathered bit more as army is out to keep eye on people so no can get out unless it is necessary

hope you get new flooring soon ,your images are so delightful
and you are such a beautiful lady wow :)))

wishing you happy serene healthy days ahead!
hugs!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Lynne said...

Poppy and black bra chasing through the house at full panic mode had me in stitches!
Stay at home mom with new pup . . . (sometimes I make an error and it comes off as “new pub” instead)
maybe pandemic time is a great time for puppy training, (not time for new pub however!)

One of the things I am doing . . . to get out of my pj’s, no makeup, is to grab the rake and
begin the spring clean up. The downside of that is it is early for Michigan spring clean up
and I might have to repeat it in late April, early May. The upside is, it is clean,
looks wonderful, one corner done, and you know the rest of the story.

Another plus, people walking by, chatting, waving, saying HI . . .
I noticed the only person six feet away, was me.
The walkers were two or three and right next to each other.
Oh well . . . I loved their happy greetings!

Good for you wiping down grocery items, washing fruits, veggies,
I like them sitting out in bowls in the kitchen too! Reds, oranges, vibrant greens!
I have become more of an OCD germ-a-phob . . .
Like wiping down light switches, door knobs, fridge, stove handles, before I go to bed.
You Not sure why I started that, I already had done it three hours before.

I'm reading a Grisham . . . although TV and iPad get much more attention.
Wonder why mysteries sound good, me too and friends are saying the same.

I try to be happy, pleasant but if truth be told in my story . . .
“nervous nelly” here . . . Seriously, a PANDEMIC . . . scary indeed!

I keep the health care, nurses, doctors, health centers, custodial ,
respiratory therapists in my mind, heart, caring, prayers.
Sad tragic time for us . . . and for the entire world.

Find calm, be safe, be well, enjoy home . . .
A Thank You to you Jane, you write a wonderful blog, uplifting, fun, real.
love love
lynne


Theresa said...

We are staying in and only running to the grocery store when absolutely necessary. I stocked up the last time I shopped and shouldn't have to go back for a couple weeks. Prayers that this goes away VERY SOON and life can get back to normal. You are certainly doing a great job staying in and taking care of yourself! Enjoy your day dear friend, HUGS!

Mary said...

Glad you are well Jane, please stay that way, also A and the family.
Things are bad in our area too, deaths are in all age groups but we realize we need to be extra careful perhaps.
The garden is the best place to be - to work in, stroll round, and now it's so warm we are eating in the gazebo which is great.
Yesterday was our 55th anniversary! Lots of memories of how things used to be and chat about over a bottle of bubbly Prosecco as the sun went down. And yes, I did change out of pj's and put lipstick on, haha!
Love, Mary

Linda said...

It was so nice to have a catch up chat with you this morning! Life has certainly changed for everyone to one degree or another!
I’m trying to take it a day at a time and not look too far down the road. I’ve been cleaning house like my hair was on fire but I’ve calmed down to a smolder now. Thank goodness! I was getting exhausted!

Vee said...

๐Ÿ™‚ At least, you’ve been reading your mail. Mine is in a big box in the garage getting sprayed with Lysol every time a new batch comes in. I am sure that all your careful attention has germs on the run. The worst part of all this is not being able to see people. I hope that it’s over sooner than we think.

La Contessa said...

GOOD GIRL..........YOU ARE DOING EVERYTHING RIGHT!
WE ARE ON DAY 12.........I'm fine as I have been HOME now for awhile..........
The first week I didnot clean or bake anything but have started now!I have PLENTY TO CLEAN But NOT cleaning OUT as NO PLACE TO TAKE THE STUFF!Last two days have been scrubbing floors like CINDERELLA!I have BRICKS as a FLOOR!FEEL BLESSED WITH WHAT YOU HAVE!STILL NOT DONE WITH THE KITCHEN!
I have not been to a store or outside in 12 days!!!!!!!ITS TOO COLD HERE to work in the garden and THE ITALIAN is feeding the chickens!I do get out of my PJ's/ CAFTAN as ONE does feel better............I can VOUCH FOR THAT!
MAKE A PLAN FOR THE DAY either the night before or the morning of WHAT WILL I ACCOMPLISH TODAY!
I need to STOP LOOKING AT THE PHONE but there are some VIDEOS FLOATING AROUND!
WE CAN DO THIS!
ANNE FRANK DID IT for TWO AND A HALF YEARS?MUch smaller space.WE CAN DO IT!!!!!!!!!
HUGS,
XX
LA CONTESSA

Amy at Ms. Toody Goo Shoes said...

Hi Jane! The picture of Poppy and your bra, and putting on makeup to pick up poop gave me a much needed laugh. Here in NJ, we are on the same stay at home order. We were in Florida for the winter, intending to come home in early April, but drove home 10 days ago once my son's college closed for the semester. I'm glad we left when we did. Except for a supermarket run the day after we got back, I've been at home. My husband and son have gone out a few times, and each time they do, it makes me crazy that they may be bringing the virus home with them. I have thought I've had it a dozen times already (I haven't), but the hypochondriac in me can't help it. So far, I'm staying fairly sane, but have had moments on sheer anxiety. I try to listen to Gov. Cuomo even though he isn't my governor. He is a true leader. I try to stay busy, but I can't seem to motivate myself to do any of the big projects I always said I'd do if I only had time. Maybe I will, eventually. The biggest change is not running around here and there everyday, and getting together with friends. I'm stocking up on canned and frozen items, so that when/if it becomes impossible to get a food order delivered (which is starting to be a real problem), at least we won't starve. I'm reading too much on Facebook (but I've gone pretty much cold turkey with MSNBC. Photography continues to be my passion but how many pictures can I take of my backyard, lol. I try to get out for walks everyday, which is pretty much required when having a dog. The silver lining of all this is the time I get to spend with my son, who is home, but I'm heartbroken for him that his junior year at college was ended so abruptly. At the end of this, I'll probably gain 100 pounds! Stay well, dear Jane!

Lorrie said...

How nice to read your chatty post, Jane. Your puppy and the bra made me laugh - what a dog!

We are much the same as you, isolated at home other than for outings for groceries, or a walk around the neighbourhood, veering wildly if we happen to meet anyone on the way. My husband is in health care administration, and he's been working very long hours, so I'm mostly on my own. I've been sewing and cooking, and watching too much news. Next week, school begins again after spring break, but it's going to look very different as we are going online. A steep learning curve for all of us.

Today was my husband's birthday so I baked a cake and cut it in thirds and we delivered it to our local kids, on the porch, and the grandkids all sang Happy Birthday, all at a distance. Then we did a Zoom meeting with all of our kids and had a great time. I'm so thankful for technology.

Take care! Stay home, and stay well.

Karen thisoldhouse2.com said...

The anxiety about all of it is brutal! I'm trying not to watch the news other than being responsible about being responsible. I'm on my way to the grocery store this morning and it feels like a zombie apocalypse supply run. UGH!

It's me said...

Hi Jane..yeah what a strange time we where in now...so scarry...I am so afraid...sitting here alone in my home...I am so glad I have Leaf around me...praying also for the whole world....❤️๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ’‹ What is your Facebook account ? .....love love love Ria ๐Ÿ’‹๐Ÿ’‹๐Ÿ’‹

customized gifts for him said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jeanie said...

Every word you write could have come out of my heart. I'm glad you are letting your kids take care of your outside needs and getting out with that sweet Poppy. But it is so bizarre. Everything looks and sounds almost the same and yet it's not. MORE people are out than before. But city streets are empty. And we're all so anxious. I'm avoiding news now (and I'm a news junkie -- it's on all the time -- till yesterday. Is it a coincidence I got my first good night's sleep in days last night?) I need more Poppy and the Bra, less news.

I'm glad you're not in the store. Yesterday my pulmo. doc said that after the hospital the grocery store is the second most unsafe place to be.

I see you have the Boomer commenter too. He's everywhere. (Although deleted from mine or not posted because of moderating. I posted him once. That was enough!)

Please take care. I'm so glad you are so far safe in Chicagoland...

Dewena said...

What a good post for these times! I need that Picture This app, knew there had to be something like that out there. No makeup/no bra here. "Four hours of thinking I have coronavirus" -- you too? My husband now compares me to the boy who cried wolf.

I stay sane by reading cookbooks and make menus for company dinners when that is again possible.

The biggest change to my days is that I try to keep current with paperwork now--bills paid right away, taxes ready for accountant, wills updated. Creepy?

I'm stocking up on dried beans and canned tuna, salmon and sardines.

Can't remember the rest but send you best wishes for health and happiness,
Dewena

MARY MARSHAL said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Mereknits said...

The black bra incident made me laugh. My boys are all about socks if they can get them. Glad you are staying home and staying sane which is very hard to do in these tough times. I did work some last week but not my full schedule. Today was all online learning for Little Buddy as I try to get him caught up for the week. Stay safe!

Jodiebodie said...

It is interesting to read about your experience and how it is much the same all over the world at the moment... if there could be a silver lining from a pandemic I hope it will be the cameraderie of shared circumstances where people have more in common than not. I love your prompts for your readers to compare notes:

I'm staying sane at home by... avoiding the news except for an update once a day

The biggest change in my day to day life is... not much except extra anxious - as an immune compromised person, I am a homebody and used to vigilant infection controls. Mobility issues prevent lots of outings

I'm stocking up on these foods and items... tinned veg, pulses, non-perishables

We are under these restrictions/mandates... physical distancing, no gatherings larger than 2 people unless it is from one family unit. No visitors/visiting. Only going out for essentials - pharmacy, food, caring for others, work/education. Schools have moved lessons online. The Medical clinic has closed so appointment are over the phone but need to be booked on an app. because the clinic's regular phone number doesn't work any more due to overload!

I'm reading...blogs!

Hobbies that keep my hands busy...crochet, colouring-in/journalling.

I get outdoors and do...gardening - setting up autumn/winter food garden.

I totally appreciate the anxiety caused by family members needing to go in and out of the house, especially when our lungs are susceptible. Try to relax because stress will make it harder to fight off any bugs. Take care. Thanks for your blog to read!

Little Wandering Wren said...

Hello Jane
Thank you for your uplifting comment on my last post - what fun we could have with Poppy and the Crazy poodle, although our pooch maybe a little crazy but he does leave our undies alone haha!
I'm staying sane at home by...blogging
The biggest change in my day to day life is...not leaving the apartment block
I'm stocking up on these foods and items... fresh milk and tea bags
We are under these restrictions/mandates... no alcohol is on sale here in Thailand for 10 days
I'm reading...blogs
Hobbies that keep my hands busy... yoga
I get outdoors and do...walking around the garden and on a bad day around the car park!
Great questions - stay safe and do what those kids tell you to do!!!
Love Wren x

Kim said...

We're in NY so things are on a total lockdown, here like Chicago. I'm keeping sane by crafting and cooking and hanging out with the kids. They have my husband and I watching all their favorite shows. We've also been playing games. I'm also doing chair yoga since our local library is offering it via zoom. It's been a nice distraction since I have no motivation to exercise on my own! Stay safe Jane. xo

Red Rose Alley said...

Yes, I know what you mean about washing your hands after opening the mail, I do the same thing. It sounds like you are keeping busy around the house doing all kinds of things while having to be at home. Many people have been cooking more and baking. That's great that you are all stocked up on food - I was also, but it seems to be used quickly.

Stay well and take care during this time, Jane.

~Sheri

An Oasis in the Desert said...

What a lovely post, Jane! We are on "stay at home" rules, too. Sadly, way too many people are ignoring the rules, so one has to be extra cautious. I had a second back surgery scheduled for March which got postponed until mid-May. I'm not sure it won't get postponed again...not much I can do about it. As retirees, life really isn't that much different for us. My hubby has taken over most of the household duties and all the grocery shopping, but still finds time to putter around in his shop. I spend most of my day here in my craft room...my chairs all roll, so I don't have to get up and down very much. We are trying to be super-careful (gloves and masks) wherever we have to go since we are in that "vulnerable" age group!

Your grand babies are all so adorable, and I can only imagine how much you must miss them. For now, I guess we just have to hang in there (maybe like a sloth), and hope and pray for the best but plan for the worst. Now I'm rolling over to work on a quilt!

Take care,
Carol
BTW: Your tulips are beautiful! Tulip season is long past for us. Our temps are in the 70's & 80's, creeping into the 90's later this week...another reason to stay inside!

Lisia Mendy said...

Hello dear friend's I am Lucy Giroud, from Paris Saint, France. My Contact +33605803296
How are you and your lovely family.
I was diagnosis of , systemic lupus erythematosus. And Herpes Simplex 1 and 2 for 9 year, but now I am a living testifer of Dr Ogbeifun natural herbel medicine in which he use in curing me permanently...
I order two bottles of his herbal product to cure lupus. I take the herbal medication for 14 day's the way he instructed me to be drinking the herbs
Three tables spoon in the morning and evening after food.
Dear friend's God Almighty have be using this man Doctor Ogbeifun to help the sick once who is ready to help their selves. Because once you are ready. He will be also ready to help you with his herbal medicine.
Via... What'sApp: +2348050680253
Email address: drogbeifunherbalhome1@gmail.com
Website: https://doctorogbeifun.wixsite.com/drogbeifunherbalho-1
God bless you all?