Sunday, June 3, 2018

LAZY LAKE DAYS & GIVING AN OUTDATED TABLE A FRESH LOOK


Happy June!  After the heat we've been having, and storms, it almost feels like mid summer.  But things have leveled off here in the Midwest, at least the high temps, humidity, and rain.  The plants are lush and full, begging for a good trim, and it's finally tolerable weather to get some outdoor projects done.  

I feel much  like Milo (above).  The last 6 months spent in bed not doing much.  But I've healed so much in the past month.  I still have good and bad days.  My doctor was truly surprised when he saw me 2 weeks post surgery awhile back, he said most patients would come in with their walkers.  I can only take credit for having had a nice balance of resting and then moving slowly and carefully.  But I pushed myself in a lot of ways because I had to.  Who was going to let the dogs out or feed them?  I had to make my meals, take showers...everyday things, and that's a part of physical therapy in its own way.  




Isn't this pretty?  I found out about it 2 weeks before I came to the lake last weekend.  Our lawn guy hit a stone with his mower and while it only made a small hole in the window initially , it spider-webbed out.  Thankfully, it's a double pane window and only cracked on the outside.  I've had a few window companies out to look at it, and it appears we have a lot of issues with all 8 large windows, including the wood trim and caulking  around them.  This is a huge job and I have my work cut out for me in trying to find contractors this early in the season, almost all are booked up.  I'm so grateful that all the windows were deemed safe so that I can be here.  I have to say its disappointing after last year being absolutely worry free...finally!



The girls and their guys, and sweet little Madelyn, were here for Memorial Day weekend.  They were all a big help in getting the place spiffed up after months away, and it was like summer blossomed overnight.  We had beautiful weather, it was in the nineties but when you're on the boat or in the water that's not a terrible thing.  We have a covered patio with a big ceiling fan so we were very comfortable and truly spent the three days outdoors.  We lived on cold cuts, salads, grilled burgers and hot dogs, S'mores, breakfast muffins, exotic and fruity cocktails, lots of beer and bottles of water. There were bonfires each night, fireworks around the lake, sand all over the house, and wet bath and beach towels going 24/7 in the laundry room.

This year Madelyn, now 18 months old, has a much better idea of Grandma and Grandpa's place; the beach and water, her little pool, the boat, her bedroom, and our morning to night rituals.  Early in the morning I would wake up to hear her little feet thumping across the floor downstairs as she ran around enjoying all the open space.  When she spotted me coming downstairs, her face would light up and she'd run to me with her arms open wide.  Oh, she is such a huge joy in my life.  

I let her help me fill the bird feeders, it reminds me of Emily at this age; she would sit right smack in the middle of our vegetable garden and hand me seeds.  Madelyn just loved to sink her hands in the big container of wild bird seed and somewhat aim for the feeders.  I hung them up and as the evening went on, the birds began to arrive.  I would hold her, point, and explain how we had given them 'their dinner'.  Oh, I could see the wheels turning!  There's nothing like seeing life through the eyes of a child, or sharing your life with a child so their curiosity can be piqued.  I'm really looking forward to summers to come.





Lots of good things blooming now, a bit late due to the wacko weather.  These iris' grow off to the side of our house and woodpile.  They mean a lot to me as The Husband planted them as a surprise  over twenty years ago.  One spring I was out wandering around, saw them popping up and ran to get him.  Yes, he had planted the bulbs the previous fall just for me!  They come and go so quickly, usually before we have really gotten into a regular pattern of coming and going for the summer.  Its such a pleasant spot under a tree to stand and gaze at with my morning mug of coffee and the snooping hounds.  



This is a plant that is driving me crazy.  It's in my perennial bed and it didn't bloom last year.  I don't even see buds right now which would have had me think it might be a biennial.  This is actually one plant, and I have three.  On my muddy, torn, garden map, I think it's written 'dianthus', but I could be wrong.  If you have any idea, let me know.  I need my space!  The leaves are thick and quite tough.  The stems are thin and woody.  Interesting?  Please help me figure out what it is.  


I was so pleased to have this mirror hung back in January, I had been hanging on to it for over 2 years waiting to find someone to do it.  Weighing a hefty ninety pounds, no one was ready to jump in.  My lawn guy came to my rescue. 




This is a close up.  I love how it reflects areas of the room. 



 I was trying to pick up some of the black accents in the Great room, and I hung this art print of an old barn next to it, and I specifically chose a black frame.  This is not looking right to me.  It's a long wall and while the pieces look well together, they seem to be just slapped up there, not giving any warmth at all.  

I know it's going to take awhile for me to see this the way I want.  The mirror definitely stays (who's going to move it?!), but I actually think I may do some sort of arrangement where the print is, maybe something white and rustic.  



The first thing I set about doing was working on this oak table.  We bought the set over twenty years ago and The Husband stained and varnished it.  It's been a workhorse and is still in excellent condition, but it has a very 1990's look.   I added the end slipper chairs two years ago and always intended to paint the Windsor chairs.  I picked up some chalk paint and got to work.  I also looked at some chairs online, I thought a bit more of a mix would give it a spin.  More on that later.

I came back to the city late yesterday afternoon, it was a good ten days away.  After a houseful over Memorial Day weekend, it was really a slow and peaceful time; hot days flowed into some rain, and then cool temps came yesterday.  The house was sparkling clean so I packed up my duffel bag, grabbed the dogs and here we are.  Of course it smelled like dirty socks when I walked in.  The Husband doesn't think to open windows.  Still, he keeps things pretty neat.  I often surprise him when I come home, like yesterday.  I chipped away at cleaning up and sorting mail, in between lying down; the good old back isn't liking two straight hours in the car.  

I have flowers to plant, a patio to clean up, a vet appointment for both dogs, my two month appointment post surgery, and I need to line up quotes for work at the lakehouse.  But I'm taking it slow--honestly!

Happy June!

jane x

41 comments:

Lisa said...

Everything is beatiful! Hate to hear about your window. Hope you can find a reasonable and quick fix. Mayilyn in precious. I can just imagine her running around the big open space. So cute!
Lisa

Dewena said...

Jane, I do hope you are taking it slow. I'm sure you understand what pace you can safely go at but I also know that urge that comes with wanting to get things done. Just be careful!

Your family time over Memorial Day weekend sounded lovely to me, just the way it is supposed to be. Those memories will be handed down in your family so happily. I do love that beautiful room and the mirror is stunning there. The picture looks great to me but I guess if you think it can be improved on you will figure it out. I love the sophisticated crisp look the black touches give.

What a shame about the window but maybe for the best in the long run if maintenance is taken care of early. Good luck with finding a contractor! And best to dear sweet Milo, you know that name is dear to my heart,
Dewena

Anonymous said...

not sure you're taking it slowly, wink wink lol, but life is meant to be lived and you are living the life!! I am so glad to hear you are up and at em', I knew you would be. I remember you mentioning that mirror before, it looks great, I love a mirror to reflect the room, it seems to open the space even more, in our small apartment,, your grandbaby is such a doll, a Gerber baby pinup!

Vee said...

Wonderful that you are feeling so much stronger. Pace yourself because I can see that you are a busy, active girl. Wow! Your poor window. Perhaps a blessing in disguise if one tries real hard to think positively. Have fun at the lake!

Stacey said...

Enjoy your time there!! It always sounds like fun at your lakehouse.

The window situation is a bummer. I wonder if you could just fix the one window and not worry about the whole situation.

Junkchiccottage said...

Hi Jane,
Wow about the window. That looks scary. Glad it did not go all the way through that would have been a big mess. Timing is everything isn't it. Things like this alway happen at the worse times. This is the peak of contractors being busy. I hope you find someone to get the windows done soon. So happy you are doing better since your surgery. Glad to see sweet Milo hanging in there too. Have a good start to the new week.
xoxo
Kris

Lynne said...

I love thinking about you enjoying some Lake Time . . .
And feeling better each day, but by bit . . .
Glorious Memorial weekend in Michigan . . . wasn’t it . . .
More like summer than springtime . . . no complaints there.
A few days later, sultry arrived . . . and now, cool again . . .

Happy you have time to enjoy, observe, be with, guide, mentor those littles . . .
How special lake time will be for them as they grow up.

I think I like the mirror all by itself on the wall . . . quite a statement piece. I love it, BTW.
Refinishing the table and chairs . . . a big job, but sounds perfect for when family is around.
Pace yourself with all that work . . . (says “mother hen” me!)

It is a shame the window was shattered . . . and that it opens a bunch of other window issues.
Two steps forward, thirty back . . . seems like that is how things often roll . . .

Cuddle with Milo . . . Read a book . . . ENJOY . . .

Kit said...

Oh so glad you had such a great weekend with your family! Sounds like lots of fun. Keep healing! And take it slow. :) Kit

Bluebird49 said...

Hi, friend! It was so very good to see you had posted! I wondered how you and your back were.
Madelyn is growing up! Our granddaughter turned 11 on the 23rd. David will be 14 in August.
Did you know we have a great grandson?? He was born April 4th, and our daughter would have been so thrilled to see him! She passed away when Rob, her son, was only 7. He has turned out better than anyone could ever know, after all he went through. I am so proud of him!
And we feel older and older, but we're doing pretty good. I am glad you can drive back and forth from the lake. Being there alone must be delightful!!
God bless you, Jane! 💗

Jill said...

So happy to hear that you are healing well and are able to be doing a little planting and the work you need to get done!

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

I love peaks of your lake house. I am sorry about the window! Glad to hear your back is healing well.

Karen thisoldhouse2.com said...


Absolutely beautiful, all of it - and so glad you're healing so well..and getting back into life!

Karen (Back Road Journal) said...

That last paragraph doesn't sound like you are truly serious about taking it slow. :D I'm glad you had a nice time at the lake. It sounds like the perfect way to kick off summer.

Unknown said...

Happy June! Oh my, Gerber baby indeed!:). You and Milo are in sync, what a sweetheart. PT and relaxing at the lake with family, is all good. Take it easy, Kathleen in Az

It's me said...

Hi Jane ....glad things going better with you...,glad to read a post again from you.....take your time....love to see your grandchild again ...she is so sweet little lady...love from me happy week love Ria x 💜

Linda said...

Hi Jane...
Sounds like you and Madelyn are a match made in heaven😇 she is adorable!
So glad you are bonding with her....I know how important it is to you...
Keep getting better and better...you’re a tough one! 💕
Ouch on the windows....
Enjoy your week...
Cheers!
Linda :o)

Andrea Nine said...

So sorry about the window. I’m glad you are feeling better and enjoying life. My goodness, that Madelyn is precious! Your lake place looks fabulous and so happy you had such a sweet, carefree weekend with family!

Susie said...

Blondie, I like the way Madelyn greets you, with open arms. Look at her in her belly shirt /skirt. LOL. So cute. Keep healing, please don't over do young lady. I bet it felt good to be at the lake . I think of my old days at the lakes where I learned to swim and water ski. At my guardian angel's cottage and church camp. LOL. The church in the woods at camp. I loved it all. Blessings to you, xoxo, Susie

Rita C at Panoply said...

Hi Jane! So glad to hear you are healing and doing well, and that your buddy Milo is still by your side. The lake house time away seems like an ideal escape, with family over the holiday (including that beautiful little grandbaby). The glass damage, while scary awful to have happened, was luckily a double pane. I wouldn't worry too much about getting a contractor right away, just by winter. Heck, if the lawn mower hadn't thrown a rock, you wouldn't even be thinking about it, right?
Sorry I can't help identify that plant, but if you need the space and it's not pleasing to look at, I say get rid of it! It's not a dianthus, those have much more delicate leaves.
Cheers to summer fun!

Anonymous said...

Jane so much to comment on, my friend. First is the "little one" and I don't mean Milo (although being curled up on the bed looks so inviting). At 18 months old and helping to fill feeders just being with Grandma & Grandpa is exhilarating for you I'm sure. As far as that plant, I will ask you to Google Dianthus images and look carefully at the leaves, stems, etc. as I don't think it is Dianthus. Your description of it's leaves tell me it's not. Now you (as I saved the best for last)...I am glad you recovered so quickly although it does take time so b patient and don't push yourself....:)JP

Jeanie said...

I'm so glad you are recovering well (but don't forget -- you are still recovering so don't overdo!) You have had your hands full, especially with that "art glass" repair you have on your hands. I haven't been to the cottage yet -- hopefully the plumber can come this week and I can go up before Rick gets home from music camp and get started on cleaning, screens, porch furniture out and all that. It's always something and I"m always worried at what I'll find. (We had a bad squirrel experience one year who, among other dirty things, ate every kleenex and pillow bit he could sink his little teeth into).

Your sweet girl is adorable and I'm looking forward to having the experience you had with the bird feeder when our Baby Grand is a little bit older -- he's getting close!

I think you stopped by my blog while I was traveling. Since blogger isn't sending comments these days, I'm not sure without doublechecking but I think I saw it there. I just wanted to say thanks and delighted to be back to check in!

Kim said...

Glad to hear that you're feeling well, Jane! It's wonderful that the weather is nice and getting outside is part of your therapy. I hope you continue to feel well, everything looks great and good luck with that window!

Melanie said...

Glad to hear your recovery progress is going well. So glad you were able to make it up to the lake house once again. Ugh on the window! It's always something, isn't it? Madelyn is just so darn adorable, I'd be eating her up! Not sure what that plant is...it doesn't look like a dianthus to me, but I know there's several varieties. Chalk painting the chairs will give the room the updated look you want, but be careful! That's a lot of work. I'm guessing you'll be starting PT soon, so I know you'll be extra busy. Have a good week!

Judy at GoldCountryCottage said...

Hi Jane. So glad to hear you are feeling much better and back up at the lake house. What a shame about the window, but at least nothing can get in until you can fix it. Madelyn is such a little doll. I could just pinch those sweet little cheeks. Thanks for your visit to me. We are having "great" weather the last few days. Sunshine with a little breeze at times. Too bad it can't stay like this all summer long, but that's not in the cards!. The house is looking great but, please, don't over do..Happy Wednesday..xxoJudy

Unknown said...

So glad things are going good for you. What a nice way to get away. I don't have access to the lakehouse anymore. The soon to be ex lives there. We finally had a temporary hearing today. Nothing much just the judge ordering that I stay in my house and he can't get anymore things from here until after mediation, July 19. This really sux. There we were standing before a judge about at divorce at the age of 66 and 75. So ridiculous. Bust I do enjoy living alone. I've really been fighting off anxiety and depression, or trying to. There's so many bad things going on in my life right now I just carefully put one foot in front of the other and try to make it. Just not a good time at all for me. Slow down some. You make me tired with all you are doing.

Linda said...

I love how you have the city life and the lake life! I now have the city life and the country life. I'm going to be honest here since I don't think any of my family can see this comment..... do you find your city life so busy that you feel like you are escaping to the your 'other' life? We stay SO busy when we are home that in two or three days - we are already dreaming about getting back to the camper. I think part of that is the distance. When we are in Mart - or 7 miles outside of Mart at the ranch - no one can easily get to us. We can't drive 45 minutes and visit nursing homes and such. So we live life as a couple. We eat, drink, read and be. We do projects. He builds and I paint and write. Bottom line - I have long admired your two homes and now that I have my own......it is such a blessing!!! Makes the work of keeping up with two places more than worth it all!!

pam said...

Thanks so much for visiting my blog! I am so happy to have discovered yours! I can't wait to read through it and read all about you!

Karen @ Beatrice Euphemie said...

Oh, too bad about the window(s), Jane. It's always something......hopefully you'll find someone and at a reasonable price. Little Madelyn is the sweetest little thing. They are just so fun at that age. Glad to hear that you are recovering slowly but surely. I sometimes think that our pets are truly responsible for keeping us going sometimes. They depend on us and we can't let them down. Especially when they are seniors. The lake house seems like the family hub and the perfect place for making wonderful memories. It always looks so pretty and welcoming with all your personal touches. Hope the healing continues to go smoothly for you. Too funny about the dirty sock smell. Guys never notice, do they? haha! xx Karen

handmade by amalia said...

In your slow way you are keeping quite busy, dear Jane :-)
Amalia
xo

Elizabeth@ Pine Cones and Acorns said...

Jane,

It is always something...hopefully you can get the windows fixed and at a reasonable price. I love the idea of painting and mixing hte chairs, I am sure thy are going to look beautiful

Enjoy your summer at the lake, take it easy, and slow.

Unknown said...

Hello I am a frequent reader of your blog and have never commented as I am not very computer savvy. I am commenting now because I think I can help you identify your ground cover I believe it is Pachysandra. I had it under pine trees in our yard when we lived in Michigan. It is very hardy and a bit invasive. My complaint about it was it was hard to keep weeds from entangling in the vines Hope I have correctly identified your plant. Enjoy your summer and I pray you continue to heal. PS I too have a granddaughter named Madelyn but she is a senior in college We blinked and she is all grown up but she is just as sweet as she was when she was a toddler I better get some rest Blessing, Pat N

Decor To Adore said...

Jane I am so happy to hear that you are making progress in healing. May it continue. Loved your summer garden snaps. I can't wait to see the chair makeover.

Unknown said...

It’s arduous to seek out educated folks on this subject, however you sound like you understand what you’re talking about! Thanks best online casino

Amy at Ms. Toody Goo Shoes said...

Always so much to comment on in your posts, Jane, but what stands out most is the ritual of feeding the birds with your precious Madelyn! Glad you are feeling much better! Time at the lake house with your family sounds like pure joy, as does the time you spend there alone. Cheers to a wonderful summer!

ann said...

I am glad that you are doing so well. The surgery the you had can be a very rough one. Madelyn is growing so fast and is such a pretty little girl. She is at such a fun age, too. The pup has a pretty good life, doesn't he?

La Table De Nana said...

The mirror..I love mirrors because everything seems brighter and bigger.
Too bad re the window:( And the rest..
I am very happy for you and your great uphill climb back to feeling better.
Takes courage.
Cherish those moments w/ M and 18 months..you know in areas of my gardens..I still see the boys at different ages doing things in the gardens w/ me..Lucas was the first born..then 3 came right away..but the first 18 months w/ L..was a dream.Like staring over..w/ all the patience and time and wonder in the world at seeing a little being discovering the world.
They are all still the apples of our eyes..Just the day before yesterday..4.30..I was at the front ripping off dead blooms squishing those chafers and I heard :HI NANA!!:..our youngest..long lanky and lean..waving and waving at the end of his lane..:)♥I still see him..utter joy in his voice..Who else does that?:)LOL God bless these gifts in our lives.
Have a great weekend.

Harlynn said...

Glad to hear you're doing well with physical therapy. That's horrible what happened to the window!! The poor lawn dude probably crapped his pants. Haha. Madelyn is adorable!!!

Sunnyeri said...

Dear, you are so brave and powerful! I'm just starting to make my house be more stylish and comfortable and you are inspiring me!
I`m your new subscriber!
Follow back? Sunny Eri: beauty experience

Silver in AZ said...

Jane, the place looks gorgeous, but mostly I'm so glad that you are feeling better!

and Madelyn could not be more adorable!

Vee said...

I can tell you are feeling great because you feel all this activity is “taking it slow..” Have a happy summer doing just as you wish. The kitchen looks great.

Decor To Adore said...

I love your painted chairs and what gorgeous irises! Happy summer days!