Sunday, October 8, 2017

FREE FALLIN


Dining Table, Fall 2017

Simple, simple, I brought up a few fall pieces from downstairs.  These cute faux fruit went into an old bowl, and a Pier 1 sale candle went into the lantern that's been there all summer with various candles.  I also couldn't pass up these wool and straw place mats sold in a pack at HomeGoods for pennies.  I'm good until Christmas, ladies.  

I packed up a small box for daughter, Abby and Tom, and their apartment.  She said she was going to Marshall's, and I said, "Please, I am Marshall's, just a smaller version."  Name your season or holiday.  I really have to purge through some of this stuff.  I was glad to see some pics she texted me of some of the candle holders, and faux pumpkins I sent off with Tom.  The pumpkin has gold dots on it - I'm thinking that's a hip sort of thing she'd like.



My Beloved Island, Fall 2017

My island is always a great sense of joy for me.  It has a marble top, perfect for keeping dough chilled as you roll it out for pies or cookies, or not.  I just like to decorate it.  I've never rolled out a darn thing.  That's what stone counters are for.  Sometimes when we've had holidays or a party, I've been forced to move things off so we can put actual food on it.  It truly saddens me.


Kitchen Island, 2011 (sort of)

For those of you who didn't know me 6 years ago,  I crossed my fingers, whined, begged and coerced the hubby into buying the island.  It was definitely one for Blondie's Journals - Strange But True Tales.

I came upon this gem while perusing my Pottery Barn catalog and it was instant love.  Our kitchen in the city isn't large by any means, but we did knock out walls to open it up and we had a lot of space in the middle.  Maybe a chopping block or something would have been a bit more practical, but I wanted this reclaimed wood baby.  After I tried all of my wild and woolly female wiles,  I tore out the page from the catalog, and in my own version of copy and paste, I inserted moi!  It's a wee bit out of perspective -  I'm seriously not that tiny, nor is the island that humongous. You can enlarge to see my desperate note.  The rest is history.  

Getting back to my vignette, I won these gorgeous velvet pumpkins in a giveaway hosted by Debra at  Common Ground, 2 years ago.   I adore them.



On a side table in the living room, I had to keep it small and sweet.  These sweater pumpkins were made by the lovely Jody, at Rooted In Thyme.  All of these pumpkins come out every year without fail.  

I had some pics of the fireplace hearth and mantel, but decided it needed to be tweaked.  Funny how you see things differently through the camera lens.  I'll get to that in my next post...unless it's already Christmas.


Jane's Chili 

I shared this on Instagram.  Click HERE to follow me for more frequent posts than I do blogging, lol!  Anyway, I made this Chili the other night, my basic recipe, but sometimes you mess around and come up with something better than your best.  The Husband and I really loved it, and I thought I'd share.  Please ignore the garish photos, you all know I can't take a good food picture.  Also, everyone has their own favorite chili recipe,  but keep your mind open; you might just want to try some of my twists.  Please read the recipe through before you even shop or start.  I've noted changes you might not have in your arsenal of ingredients for Chili.

Jane's Chili

1 1/2 lb. ground beef, or 4 freshly prepared beef Pub Burgers*
1 large onion, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped finely
3 garlic cloves, chopped finely
1 28 oz. can diced tomatoes
1 15 oz can of black or kidney beans (or your choice)
1 c beef broth
2 T chili powder
1 t red pepper flakes
1 T sugar
2 t ground cumin
2 t ground cinnamon
S & P to taste

Sour cream, cheddar cheese, radish slices, or whatever you like for garnish.

***

Notes:  Rather than an ordinary package of ground beef, I had a package of pre-made 'Pub Burgers' from my grocery store.  The are what they sound like; fresh, firm, and ready to throw on the grill.  Except it was not grilling weather and I felt the frozen meat was going to start going downhill soon.  But---the clouds parted as I stubbornly jabbed at these rounds of beef with my wooden spoon to break them up as they cooked in the skillet.  I was left with some larger chunks, as opposed to little morsels of ground beef.  And that was the beauty of it all.  The chunks, much like steak, soaked up the liquid and spices and held firm, and it was like quite different.  I highly recommend doing your next Chili this way if you do have access to pre-made burgers.  I haven't quite figured out the 'binder' in Pub Burgers, but they certainly held their own in sautéing and cooking in the broth.  

Brown beef in a large skillet or dutch oven over medium heat, breaking it up until cooked through.  Remove to a bowl or plate.  Sauté the onion, peppers, and garlic over low heat until just tender.  Add the tomatoes, beans, broth, beef, and remaining spices, stirring well to incorporate.  Place in oven, covered for 1 hour.  You can then go off and do laundry or take a bubble bath if you so desire.  I hate to watch things cook slowly on the stove.  So many better things to do.

*And now, the addition of cinnamon.  Just do it for crying out loud.  I am not telling you to add a cup of horseradish or a can of beets.  Just do it and thank me later.   :)))



A couple of photos of Miss Madelyn.  I love this outfit.  I think she borrowed it from Princess Charlotte.  So cute.  Already reading books about pumpkin vignettes.  


I can't figure out her secret for always looking just perfect for the camera, especially when she has no clue what's going on.  

She turns 1 year old on November 11, but her party will be here at my house, outdoors, in two weeks.  Keep your fingers crossed the weather isn't like it normally is in October, or better yet, a simple miracle. ;-D

*****

In other news, our landscaping project is almost done.  The grass seedlings are popping up everywhere, the bushes and plants that my favorite lady gardener chose are beyond gorgeous.  I have a sweet Japanese maple that won't tower over our house in 2 years, arborvitae that will stay green all winter long, conical boxwood (who knew?), and  a few smaller 'fill in' plants.  I picked up a few mums, not many, to have next to the steps, and I'm off tomorrow for some pansies for my urn on the porch.  And then I might post some pics.  Unless it snows.  Stranger things have happened in Chicago.

The tables have been turned and I've been home alone in the city while The Husband piddles around at the lakehouse.  I was supposed to meet up with him the day after he left but I have that old virus rearing it's ugly head.  You guys already know, the virus is much like mononucleosis, but not related. Still, with both, all you want to do is sleep, get up to use the bathroom, shove some potato chips in your mouth and go back to bed.  I even bought a pretty new bathrobe to cover up the PJ's I rarely change.  If someone comes to the house I just look beautiful and contagious and they quickly leave.

So it's funny having The Husband at the lake alone.  He texts/calls me about every hour.  Last night he was trying to make a pizza in the oven and he was all messed up because there didn't seem to be an 'Off' button and he was afraid the oven would stay on until eternity.  Well, to Whirlpool, 'Off' and 'Cancel' are interchangeable, and The Husband needed a Valium with his pizza.  He's also very lonely.    And bored.  

Sadly, my input involves things like clean the garage, shed, attic.  Hang my shelves, pictures, hooks.  Wash the windows, inside and out and wipe down the trim.  Sadly, this just makes him lonely, bored and downright angry.  

A storm came through here in southeast Chicago about 4:00 p.m. today, and as usual, it blows over Lake Michigan to the East and hits the area where our cottage is.  I forewarned The Husband via a text and he was happy.  He wanted to know where the candles, flashlights and phone chargers were.  I told him I was more concerned with him bringing in the beach chair cushions and covering his truck bed up.  When I suggested that he leave the balcony doors off the bedroom open tonight to see and feel the curtains blow dramatically, this was the last text I received.  

*****Seriously, I'm slow with my writing and awake hours...ha!  But really serious, I am so heartbroken about what happened in Las Vegas.  How many of us have been there?  There is a happy go lucky vibe 24/7.  It's a fun time with family and/or friends.  To be caught in an attack by an insane person is beyond comprehension.  I can't add to anything you've read or heard.  I just feel a deep feeling of loss for what our world has become, the one we are leaving behind to our children and grandchildren.  40+ years ago it was war, country against country.  Now it is a battlefield anywhere in the US where a violent person/persons can delight in bloodshed.  

*****Love and prayers to all affected by the multiple hurricanes.  It has been entirely too much ocean fury.  We are countries  united and wanting to aid, help and pray for the survival and rebuilding of these countries, even our own island, Puerto Rico.  Did I pronounce that correctly? (!)

The coverage on TV may seem too much, my friends, and I respect that.  Still, I will never turn away from anything that is happening in our world.  No, I don't stay glued to my TV, nor do I immerse myself in newspapers or news websites, too much is too much.  I pray that our country continues to hear people speak, shout, write, and rant for what is so obvious...global warming issues, gun control, freedom of speech, and voices everywhere, everyday, every minute, making it known that our leader is not leading.  I've gone out on a limb which I have never, ever done on my blog.  I am smart.  I am informed.  I have a political voice.  I am a humanitarian, a mother who worries about the next generation, a very frustrated woman who wants peace worldwide.  Please, let's all raise our voices. 

Jane x 

*****The title of my post is dedicated to the late Tom Petty.  Rest in peace you talented and much loved musician.  

50 comments:

CJ said...

Well said Jane, we need strong, compassionate voices in times such as these.

The velvet pumpkins are divine, and the story of your kitchen island made me laugh. Sometimes you just know a thing is right for you don't you. How adorable that sweet little girl is looking, that's a photo to treasure indeed.

Men aren't as good at being alone and getting on with things are they. I hope he weathered the storm okay, and managed to switch the oven off. Maybe he'll be back soon... I hope the writing is going well and that you have a good and productive week. CJ xx

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

Indeed Jane, your last paragraphs are the ones that left me with goosebumps. What's happening in the US is beyond crazy and the lack of leadership is definitely distressing. How did we get here? I truly don't understand. We are supposed to continue forward and all we are doing is sliding way, way, way down. I shall refrain from saying all that I'd really like to say.
Your sweet Maddy is a precious one. Hope you are feeling better soon.

NanaDiana said...

Kind of funny that you have 'switched places' with the hubster. Why don't they like to get 'to do' lists? lol AND I am betting he did NOT sleep with the windows open. John does not like to be off by himself either. He is much more socially bound than I am. Maybe it is because when I am home I am never free from 'I need this' and 'cam you run here' or 'can up pick up....'.....

I do love your island and glad that it still brings you so much joy. I am going to miss my big island when we move from here. It is huge and I can leave decorations out and still have room around it to put out a full meal....but....I will have another island somewhere, I suppose. lol

Have a great Sunday. We will be tied up a friend's house watching the Packer game....xo Diana

Theresa said...

Oh honey, your decorations are precious! I am gonna save this recipe:) It sounds DELICIOUS! It always makes my heart happy to see pictures of little ones! Miss Madelyn is ADORABLE!
Enjoy your day dear friend, praying for the victims of the shooting and the hurricanes! HUGS!

Mary said...

Hi dear Jane. . . . .
Hope you will be feeling much better soon and that A will be back in town with you. Bob's useless with equipment too - I always have to write directions for appliances if I'm away!
Your landscaper is needed here! How did you find a good one - I'm desperate for some help in the garden. We had a 'gardener' cut down/dig out all the front beds to make the cottage accessible to the builders/painters etc. these past 3 weeks, and all looks so desolate now. The exterior was completed Friday - thank God - such a long process as we decided to re-side the entire house rather than just repair, and then a good quality paint job so we won't be facing that again as long as we live here! Just have to hang a nice new front entrance lamp, and have the windows cleaned on Wed., and we'll be back in business! Both of us are in pain - don't get old - but trying best we can.
Sad you perhaps won't get your mountain trip this fall - doubtful we'll go either, but perhaps next Spring. Know you'll enjoy Madelyn's birthday - she's precious.
We're taking Jasmin to New Orleans - hopefully there's not much damage there after yesterday - to celebrate her upcoming 21st - how fast the years fly with these grandchildren! Then our usual NC coast trip after T-giving - that's it for travel this year, Christmas will be here at home, not traveling to Europe like last year - the world is such a messy, dangerous place right now.
Love all your pretty pumpkins Jane - your decor is lovely.
Sending much love as always. Be well - stay happy.
Mary x

It's me said...

Love your de orating...happy autumn darling have fun enjoy...love Ria x ❤️

Brenda Pruitt said...

I always enjoy reading about your daily life. The chili sounds good. You're so right, the world's news is so alarming.
Brenda

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

Your chili sounds really good and perfect for a rainy fall day.

podso said...

The baby pictures are just amazing! She poses well for the camera! The island picture--at first I thought you had gotten into making pasta! I think I will make chili this week. It's not very cool here but the weather is definitely changing.

Pondside said...

Ah, Jane, this was a post worthy of you!! I am so glad that I decided to pop by today. I have been avoiding Blogdom recently because I couldn't believe that so many bloggers were completely ignoring what was happening around them. You have managed to do what you do so well - blog about lifestyle and real life and you have left room for reality. This is why you remain one of my favourites!
Your wee one is adorable. If only we knew the secret to that always-camera-ready smile!!

Mereknits said...

I raise my voice a lot on my bog and have lost loads of viewers but I won't stop. We need to be heard in these uncertain times that seem to get worse everyday. As for your husband, why are they never okay alone? I would give anything for a day or two to myself. Have a good week.

Melanie said...

Love the vignette on your dining table and the sweater pumpkins. I don't believe I've ever seen sweater ones; only velvet. I've put cinnamon in my chili before - it adds that little "something" extra and flavorful. My unusual ingredient in chili is chocolate - unsweetened cocoa powder. No one ever knows it's there - you can't taste the chocolate. Just gives the chili some depth. Madelyn is so precious. Can't believe she's almost one. You will love the arborvitae - we have an entire row of it in our back yard. Brian and Phil planted them about 14 years ago when the bushes were only 3 ft. tall. Now they're so tall, you can barely make out the two-story house behind us. Best thing we've ever done with the yard. I love Japanese Maple; such a beautiful tree. So sorry to hear you have a virus again. Is this the one related to the medication you take for your eczema?

Doreen@foxdenrd said...

The photo of you next to the island is too much! I looked at it before reading the explanation and thought something was a bit 'off ' about it lol.

You know I adore that photo of Maddy. She loves the camera but not as much as it loves her.

I use cinnamon in chili too so I can vouch for it for what it's worth.

I wish a lack of leadership was the only thing wrong with this country now. It is a lot more than that I'm afraid. That's all I'm going to say.

xxx

Scribbler said...

I actually have used some cinnamon in chile before, and it is good. The photoshopped picture of you and that incredible island is a hoot. I kept wondering till I read on if you were making pasta fro scratch! I don't blame you for preferring to decorate it as opposed to actually messing it up with food.

You probably already know that I am utterly beside myself with the so-called "leadership" in this country with a lunatic's fingers on the nuclear codes. I don't sleep well many nights, and I really do try to stay away from the late night news now and then because each new day brings fresh horrors. It's like that old Dorothy Parker line, "What fresh hell is this?" Bob Mueller cannot bring this to a conclusion fast enough!

We are in the middle of a lot of rain and some wind from Hurricane Nate, but overall, it wasn't much. We never lost power or had any flooding.

I hope you feel better soon!

Rita C at Panoply said...

I caught the title right away. You are always witty, but this post was particularly so. I hope you're feeling well by now. Your baby girl is just adorable. Love the comment to your daughter of a smaller version of Marshall's....that's a great way to purge, and love what you kept. Can't wait to see the landscape!

Junkchiccottage said...

Love all your cute fall and glad you are still loving your island. That chili sounds delish. I am always loving fall and being able to make chili on game days. Glad the landscape is going great too. Happy New Week.
Hugs,
Kris

Judy said...

Tom Petty will certainly be missed, thank you for the title of this post. I have loved his music for oh so many years.
I am so moved by the last paragraph of your post. I wish it could be printed at thee top of every website or blog on the internet. Your words are so thoughtful, your expression so heartfelt, you said all that needs to be said, heard and written. Thank you.
I must also thank you for your creative and beautifully simple fall decor ideas. With all the sadness and destruction in our world and especially our country, I have not yet turned the tap on my fall decorating. I just haven't been able to muster the spirit. Your ideas are so festive and not over the top, the perfect tonic for a tired soul. Have a wonderful new week!
Oh, BTW, I hadn't realized until now that sweet Madelyn and I are birthday twinkies! How lucky for me. I don'r know how many people encounter this in a lifetime, but I have 5 friends who all share the November 11th birthday! With sweet Madelyn, I'll add #6 to the group!

Unknown said...

Of all the wonderful posts I've read, this post made me hungry, laugh, smiling at an adorable little girl, concerned about your health and feel sad. But I do see ( tv ) and read ( my Sunday paper had pics and some information about the deceased from the shooting ) that amongst us there is heros who gave their lives to loved ones and strangers on that terrible night. In my heart there is light and goodness around us. May God Bless all of us,
Kathleen in Az
P.s. you do crack me up about your conversation to your husband at The Lake House:), I needed that:).
P.s. Free Fallin', love that song. My niece went to see him at his last concert, she was so excited and now grateful to watch his last performance.

Lynne said...

Bringing less into the holiday decorating mix . . . cottage and city . . .
Doesn’t it feel good to do so!
I have been trying to do that for the holidays this past year . . .
Oh my, how did i accumulate so much “stuff,”

I am making that chili . . . not sure if I can find the Pub Burgers though . .
.
Maddie, sweet Maddie . . . Such an adorable one . . . Precious photographs,

Looking forward to see your landscaping updates . . .

Liked the Free Fallin, Tom Petty title to your post . . .
What has happened to our America . . .

Feel better soon . . .

Sarah said...

Oh, my, Miss Madelyn is too cute for words! You are so blessed!
Love all your fall touches. I haven't done much this October in the way of decorating. My velvet pumpkins are out and so are my vintage needlepoint pumpkins. Also added some bittersweet here and there and that's about it! A few Halloween things might make an appearance towards the end of the month.

Kim said...

Get that baby an agent! She is gorgeous and the camera loves her! I have culled my holiday collections, too. Enjoying more, decorating less. Tom Petty was a favorite of mine, too...so sad...as is the state of our country. Thanks for the laugh with your island photoshop. I love it...and it obviously worked!

Judy at GoldCountryCottage said...

Hi Jane. I have to say that you do have guts, and I love that so much. You have said all the things that I feel but didn't have the courage to say them, only in a round about way. We are in trouble in our beautiful country and what a shame that it was allowed to go on. It could have been stopped by many people, but only when they are not running for office any more do I see the true colors of their convictions come out. Country before Party, people! In other news, that chili sounds amazing, Little Madelyn is amazing, and love your pretty pumpkins. I really enjoyed this post as always..Happy Week to you..xxoJudy

Jill said...

I have chops thawed and will be trying your rub (from previous post) for supper. I'm anxious to try the cinnamon.
I'm sorry to hear that you have to fight this virus again. It must be so frustrating.

Lisa @ Texas Decor said...

"Please, I AM Marshalls" Lol! Isn't that the truth though? It's amazing how much seasonal stuff we accumulate over the years. I still haven't begun to decorate for fall. Now that my appliances are in, I may give it a go tomorrow. Or not. :) Love seeing Miss Madelyn's pics Such a beautiful little girl. Best of luck for perfect weather for the party. You may be surprised and it'll be glorious. I'm very familiar with Whirlpool's cancel/off feature. Too funny that he couldn't turn it "off." Don't even get me started on Las Vegas. Oh, so devastating. I know some special people there and was so glad to hear they were safe. Mother Nature is none too happy with things lately...floods, hurricanes, fires. It's all just too much. I hope you have a relaxing week. xoxo

Mary@mydogsmygardenandmary said...

First let me say your granddaughter is beautiful and looks so good in pictures.

You are so right about this world, what are we leaving to our children. No respect for anyone
fighting. It's more than I can bear. I am afraid to go any place where there are a lot of people.

Great post Jane and I had to laugh about husband being alone at the Lake.

Take care of yourself, drink lots of liquids and soup.

Hugs,
Mary

Linda said...

Hey Jane....
That Maddy is a doll.....seriously! Modelling material🙌🏻
Husbands can be soooo useless sometimes....hahaha!
Had a fabulous Thanksgiving at the cottage....gluten free veg lasagna!
And my Erika has a new friend! He is very nice...and adores Miss V....fingers crossed🙏🏻
Have a great week...
Cheers!
Linda :o)

Jeanie said...

Big bummer on your virus. I hope all eases up soon. Reminds me of when I had Epstein-Barr and all I wanted to do was sleep.

Your sweet Maddy is so adorable and so is her outfit! And seeing chili reminds me that it won't be 70 for long and soon it will be chili time.

Best of all I loved "I am Marshalls." I've been trying to pass things on to Miss Molly when I can, too. Better they go to a good home before a strange one!

Debra@CommonGround said...

Your little Miss Madelyn is a Charlotte look-alike for sure, so precious! I always love hearing what you're up to, and I so agree with what is happening in our country. It saddens me to hear all the junk vomited up on Twitter. foolish and childish garbage from someone who should be a leader and example for our country. I don't want to ignore a shout out, but I wasn't sure that was me you were referring to. Glad you're still enjoying the velvet pumpkins!

Maggie said...

Wonderful post, Jane, although we've never met IRL I always "hear" your voice as I read about what's happening in Blondie's World. Today I heard that you're suffering from that awful virus once more, that you're missing your other half, so proud of Miss Maddy and happy to have downsized your decorating stash a little bit. I also heard the anguish, what is the world coming too?
Take care.

Lisa said...

Love the simplicity of your table decor. And that baby! How precious. Cant wait to read more of your blog post.
Thanks for visiting!
Lisa

Susie said...

Blondie, I loved all the pictures. That baby girl is adorable. Poor husband...are they lost at times without us. ?? :):) Hope you are well by now. Once when making chili, I accidently sprinkled cinnamon instead of chili powder...As soon as I saw it, I scooped it out...then find a recipe a week later that called for cinnamon...who knew? LOL Blessings to you sweet girl, xoxo, Susie

Karen thisoldhouse2.com said...

Amen, sister! And please, feel better real soon.

What would the boyz do without us, huh? :-)

Pam - @diy Design Fanatic said...

Can't wait to see your landscape. We are rejuvenating our lawn, as well and the front yard is starting to sprout! We haven't done much in our backyard as we back up to a natural area with a walking trail and very small trickling creek below. It's been hot and humid here the past several days and I wish some cool, Fall weather would arrive!
You chili looks delicious and Miss Madelyn is adorable!

La Table De Nana said...

I love your posts Jane..they make me smile..they are so real..and that cute lil' cupcake♥
She is just perfect..her princess Charlotte dress:)
Hope you are feeling better..
I love that island..again..so funny how you got it.
I wanted a Snack Factory that badly before I worked for 30 yrs.
I still have it.
Must admit since I started working it has been lovely to never ask for anything..but..sometimes..I have thought..wow..he really LOVES her;)
I was an only daughter after my parents lost their 5 yr old daughter..2 way older brothers..so I was spoiled..thankfully they didn't have money to throw away.but I did get Chatty Cathy and Thumbelina lol..so I was brought up thinking love can equal gifts lol:)
Ok..enough..

you also made me laugh when you said you have never rolled anything..

happy re your Jap.Maple..It is fall cleanup here and as I chop I am ripping out invasive Annabelles w/ shoulders that apparently should not be doing that according to a recent MRI.

The report was 3 pages.

Instead of 1.
Years of doing men's work in the gardens etc..weird flexibilty postures in yoga..

So brand new landscaping all non invasive and baby sized sounds AMAZING to me.
Take care!

Unknown said...

I, too, am saddened by all the violence in our world. We need good leaders in the worse way, down to the local level, but they are few and far between. I pray for the innocent who were killed or injured. Such a senseless act, firing on people wanting nothing more than to enjoy an evening with family and friends. It gives me pause, going into large crowds.

I'm sorry your virus is back. My Hematologist said last week I show no signs of relapse. Thank God! Sending prayers that you will improve quickly!!

Your friend,
Kathy

Elaine said...

Well, your posts are a breath of fresh air in a cruel, cruel world. So much violence and I won't get into the shenanigans at the White House. We need to escape the sadness.

Tom Petty was such a talent and will surely be missed. I loved his duet with Stevie Nicks.

I agree your granddaughter stole that outfit from Princess Charlotte. She is precious!

Hope you feel better!!

Anonymous said...

First, I cannot believe you shared a Chili recipe today, as am planning on making it this afternoon!! If I forget, try to remember to ask me how it came out...:) Getting into Fall mode is such a good feeling with those velvet pumpkins and when the guests arrive for the party in a few weeks, they will love them too. I cannot believe that she is going to be ONE already!!!...:)JP

Karen @ Beatrice Euphemie said...

Hi Jane, so sorry you are not feeling yourself. Feeling crappy is no fun......Your dear little grand-daughter is absolutely beautiful. As a new grandmother myself, I share the same feelings about this world we are living in. I worry so much about what we are leaving to our grandchildren. My heart goes out to all those affected by the recent disasters and violence. I'm disheartened by the political chaos and lack of empathy or insight shown in their policies. I feel like we've had a hostile takeover. On a happier note, I love your sweet little pumpkins, your kitchen island and I pinned your great chili recipe. And what would we do without our hard working hubby's who miss us despite the honey-do lists we leave :) xx Karen

baili said...

Lovely stuff you brought from downstairs my friend!


sorry you are not in full form ,wishing you quick turn to happy exciting mode of feeling dear!

When we made this house 12 years ago my wish was a huge kitchen where i can place a small dining table ,fridge and washing machine too but how bad that my kitchen is only 10 by 10 ,half than i thought but now i am used to it .
according to hubby in area where we live (southern) hotter one) we can not sit for eating in kitchen or do laundry and nor even fridge will work good in such extreme heat .now i am aware of all these facts and dreaming about future home in Islamabad where i can make my dream true hopefully!

you grand daughter loos really LOVELY and quite active through her intelligent eyes and adorable face .

For your hubby being alone was not funny but yes for you it can be because wives always want their hubbies to miss them lol.

I was shocked with news of vegas as it was already messy with storms and fires ,I pray for those who suffered with such pain and hope tha may God remove their hardships away soon

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

Jane your posts are always so long and interesting, covering so much / it's hard to decide what to comment on, lol!

I will just comment on my laughter in regards to your husband and his pizza as well as how adorable your little grand is!! Oh she is adorable :)

Anonymous said...

Making this chili TODAY....:)JP

Kit said...

Hello! Sounds like you having a pretty good Fall. Sorry you are under the weather again. Loving the pics and recipe for chili looks great even tho I do not eat chili....LOL You have a very good week! :) Kit

Dewena said...

That is one fabulous island! endless possibilities, like playing house to be able to practice your seasonal culinary decor on that beauty. I smiled when I read about it being perfect for rolling out pie dough on it. My husband bought a marble top for one of my cabinets as I'd begged for one for decades to roll out dough on or for cooling hot candy on. Ha! It's been many years since I've made homemade candy and I'm afraid Pillsbury has made my pie crusts lately. And I'd first of all have to clear everything off of that marble counter first, in this small kitchen now that is always a problem.

I'm looking forward so much to making my first pot of chili of autumn, probably after the first frost. Jane, I started adding cinnamon a couple of years ago and it is wonderful and healthy too. I also add a little cocoa powder too, and a bottle of good stout ale. I loved it in chili so much that I began adding a bottle to pinto beans when cooking them--wonderful.

Madelyn is almost one? She has been adorable at each stage. I predict she will be at every stage of her life and always have the look of wonder in her eyes!

Love to you,
Dewena

Karen (Back Road Journal) said...

This is a post that really had my chuckling, starting with "I am Marshalls" and then ending with texting the husband to open up the doors and enjoy the wind...you are too funny. :D Hope you are feeling better.

Preppy Empty Nester said...

Hi Jane! Every time I head to Homegoods, the Mr. says "why don't you ask them if they will buy back some of your old stuff?" I tell him that I will sell my old stuff when he learns a new joke. When you mentioned Instagram I clicked the button and realized that I don't follow you. Problem solved! I am now. So sorry about your virus, I hope that you are feeling better! Your chili looked positively delish. It's in the 50's and I could go for a cup. Your granddaughter is darling. Have a good week.

Rue said...

That island is something else, you lucky girl! I don't think I've ever seen a picture of your kitchen.

Beautiful Miss Madelyn was born the day before me. Watch out for those little scorpios ;)

I hope you were finally able to join your husband at the lake and you're felling better.

hugs,
rue

Michele M./ Finch Rest said...

LOL Oh my gosh, you crack me up!!!!!! Your mad skillz as a graphic cut n paster are stellar, darlin. SOOOOO funny.

Your Miss Maddy is one beautiful child - holy moley you have a gorgeous family!

Thanks for the recipe! And Say Just YES to the Cinnamon! ♥ LOL!

Hugs!!!

An Oasis in the Desert said...

Let me just say, I really liked your post, Jane. I kind of did the same thing regarding a kitchen island in our previous home...the one I wanted (and got) was from Crate & Barrel. Yours is beautiful!

Oh my goodness, your little granddaughter is adorable....so photogenic!

I’ve been reluctant to vocalize my opinions, on my blog, about where our country seems to be heading; but it’s becoming more difficult by the day, to refrain. I am so sick of all the lying and schoolyard bullying that is coming from our leader..HA, what a joke! Thanks for sharing your opinions, Jane!

Get better!
Hugs, Carol

xinex said...

Oh , Madelyn is such a cutie, Janie, so adorable!! They grow too fast, don’t they? And I love, love your kitchen island! It’s amazing how you inserted yourself there so petfectly. And that note......How can Al say no to that?...Christine

handmade by amalia said...

I enjoyed this post, that sweet girt and your beautiful home. I liked the look of that Chili as well but it will be a while before I make a hearty dish, it is quite hot here still.
Amalia
xo