Friday, May 4, 2018

DECLUTTERING~EVEN THE LITTLE THINGS





Hello my friends.  Its good to be back doing something somewhat normal.  I started editing pictures, then I would get tired.  I'd start a draft, and then my back would ache.  Finally I realized everything would happen in it's own time. 

My surgery went pretty well.  The only glitch was the doctor found a nerve on the left side of my spine that was wrapped around something...it's all gibberish to me.  But I'm all fixed, screws and all.  It was a three day hospital stay.  I was in a ton of pain, but the way things work now you can just go home and be in pain.  I have to have someone with me all the time for the first two weeks.  My doctor and the hospital people were very firm about that.  Thankfully, The Husband's schedule is a little flexible, and Emily and Abby are a huge help.  If I'm alone at any time, I stay in bed.  

So that's the way it's been, a little less in pain every day, doing a few small things like wiping the counter tops, or organizing my jewelry.  Just piddly stuff that doesn't have me bending or twisting.  Surprisingly, some of these little jobs have a big impact.  Sometimes we fly by the seat of our pants, we 'get' the big picture, but sometimes its the small things we overlook and need our attention.

As someone who has been in and out of the hospital many times, mostly for asthma and related things, I know very well what its like to have a brain that is working overtime, and a body that's not keeping up.  Suddenly I'm thinking about that darn linen closet I never cleaned out.  Or the pile of quilts that need a good washing and fragrant dryer sheets before I store them until this winter.  Since a big part of my recovery is getting out of bed, walking, as well as sitting in a chair, I was able to do a "whole lot of everything and not much of anything".  Have you ever heard that?  My mom used to say it a lot.  



My living room was looking half lived in when I got home.  I would stare at Monster Mantel and fantasize about going at it with an axe.  "The meds made me do it!".  If it were just my choice, I would rip all the wood out, and just do a simple tile surround and rough wood shelf.  And on a small scale.  

I love watching Stories on Instagram.  It's hard to explain if you don't have an account, but the person can make a video of anything. I like the ones where it's a blogger sharing their home or DIY project.  One day I'd like to get the hang of this.  Annnnnyway...a blogger/Instagrammer was giving some design tips recently.  She had a little group of objects: two pots with faux greenery, a few old books, and some candlesticks.  Nothing new or recently bought.  The lesson was to learn to use what you had and not go overboard.  Keep it simple and easy.  I was curious as to what she'd do, and it was really cute.  So I took this approach with Monster Mantel.  I couldn't get downstairs to my hoarding room if I tried so I just went around the house and played on a theme of greenery.  I wanted to bring that glorious spring inside.   The mushroom print has hung in my kitchen forever.  I never thought of moving it but I am so darn proud of myself for being fearless/careless (of course you can see I set the bar high!).



This is the side table next to the chair The Husband usually sits in.  It looks pretty with some books and one of the million birds I have.  I love this little bird cage with the candle.  It was getting zero attention high up on a shelf in the living room.  

I feel like someone took my blinders off.  So many times I do a vignette and only move it when the season changes.  I'm feeling really positive about doing more when I'm mobile.



I never gave a lot of thought to the coffee table either.  Even if I had any thoughts, my ideas were slashed as  my little vignettes took up valuable real estate for those who had a plate of food, a snack. and a drink.  Anything over six inches high had to be moved as it blocked the TV when one was reclining.  Today I did a walk-thru of the house and found this beloved tray hiding in the guest room and just a few random pieces, and made an arrangement that can be moved around without a lot of effort to put back the way I like.  



My family has always teased me about my clutter, especially in the kitchen.  It really is the hub of the house.  I think of all the appliance I have on the counters.  The the mail and magazines that arrive in abundance everyday and multiply day by day if I don't have time to sort through it.  It's a dumping ground for books, papers, tote bags, baby toys, and everything under the sun that you plan to put in its proper place but keep putting off.  

I am really lucky that I have an expanse of counter space.  Today I worked slowly and carefully in taking away anything that did not encompass cooking or food storage.  The empty spaces took a while to get used to.  Ignore all that stuff on the island...I try to leave fruit out so The Husband doesn't miss it. 



It's a good feeling to have things in order, simplified.  My pain comes and goes, so I try to use the good hours to do something positive.  I have some five pound weights and I've been using them everyday for my arms.  I won't start physical therapy for a few weeks as I'm still healing.  One day at a time. 

I'd love to go to the lake but I've been trying to figure how Milo will be managed.  He is losing his balance and sliding on the wood floors.  Sometimes he's sprawled out like a turtle and we have to help him get up.  At the lake we have stairs and  he was really slipping and sliding when we were last there in January.  In the Orvis catalog I found stair treads with rubber backing, like you'd have in your bathroom.  This sounds perfect.  He's almost completely deaf, so if he wanders, he doesn't hear me call and I'm in no shape to chase after him.  Time will tell.  I realize that time here, in the backyard playing catch and enjoying the sun and fresh air is good enough for him.  I think as I approach the end with him, maybe I'm hanging on to the past when he was a playful little guy, running on the beach, then running upstairs exhausted from a full day outside, collapsing in his dog bed.  I'll figure it out.

Before I close, I want to thank everyone who sent well wishes and kept me in their prayers.  You are the best and I appreciate all of you.

Jane  x   

49 comments:

coffeeontheporchwithme said...

So good to hear you are home and managing well! There is a huge feeling of accomplishment when you tackle little things. I hope your recovery continues and you feel better and better. -Jenn

Vee said...

How good to be past the worst part. Now on to full recovery. I know you are feeling better if you are puttering. Good use of your decorating skills. Everything looks great!

Theresa said...

I am thankful that you are on the mend! Keep doing what the doctors say to do and you'll be all better soon! I will keep praying! Love de-cluttering and I have plenty of it that I need to do too:) Have a beautiful Saturday dear friend, HUGS!

Karen thisoldhouse2.com said...


Glad to hear you're feeling a little better with each day - baby steps! And look at all you're managing to accomplish regardless!

Mary said...

Sounds like you're already getting about quite well dear Jane, but please take care and don't overdo it, especially decorating and moving stuff! Know it can be frustrating in this type of situation - but some things can wait until you're stronger after your PT is underway etc. Just wish I could be there to help but know A, E & A will be taking good care of you.

With much love and best wishes for a speedy recovery - Mary & Bob XX

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh its so good to hear from you,,, I have been thinking of you everyday. I'm so glad recovery isn't too bad,, the pain is hard to deal with I can't even imagine but you have such spunk,, you are a good patient! I love the nature theme prints and birds, your home looks fresh and summery, and clean counters are hard to maintain for sure, I can't find a darn thing if I don't keep things minimal here, so we have no choice but i must admit I don't like too bare a counter top. it looks so stark, you have achieved the perfect amount of clutter, good clutter lol. Oh poor Milo,,, my heart goes out to you,, aging pets are so difficult to accept,, they are family and their impending passing is just to so hard to bare. I admire the dedication and love you show Milo,, I would have done the same thing,, pets aren't disposable just because all their parts don't works so well anymore,, some people give up on them far too soon. Take care of yourself,, I keep you in my prayers,, keep following doctors orders!!

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

Glad to hear you are on the mending and able to keep yourself busy!

Jeanie said...

This is such a wonderful post. So good to hear you are up if not around quite so much as you'd like -- and I'd say you are doing yeoman's work at home. I try hard to decorate with what I have. Sometimes we just get used to the way things were. I call it "shopping in my basement." It all looks really terrific and I'd say you have loads of ambition there!

I can relate to the clutter thing. I get that from Rick more often than I'd like (just the other day we were moving the hyacinths a few feet to the left to watch a movie!). I love your vignettes and you are an inspiration to me!

Poor sweet Milo. No, you can't go chasing him, that's for sure. But I'll bet he's a little love for you. Sending hugs and healing wishes.

CJ said...

I'm glad you're on the mend, but make sure you keep taking it easy. You do have such a beautiful home and a really good eye for things. Your mantel and tables are looking lovely, a nice job indeed. Dear little Milo, no doubt he appreciates having you around a lot. As you say, things will work themselves out re him and you managing at the lake.

It's so lovely to see a post from you, do look after yourself and keep healing. Hugs, CJ xx

Pondside said...

It's good to hear that you are home and managing to stay amused!! You are great - many would be moaning and groaning and you are doing what you can, while obeying the doctor's orders. I think it's amazing, how quickly one is released after major surgery. I hope you're able to continue to hold back on all your plans and urges to get up and going! Here's to a complete recovery!

It's me said...

Glad to read That your recovering is in good times now.......i hope you Will be pain free soon....love happy weekend....love Ria x 💜

Lorrie said...

I'm so glad to read that you are improving little by little every day, and taking things slowly, just the way the doctor ordered. Your humor and can-do-it attitude helps bunches, I think. I find that when I'm at home more, I find more things to improve and change. Being at work most days keeps me from doing too much of that - for which my husband is thankful! Your new mantel arrangement is very pretty. Enjoy your time with Otis.

podso said...

I'm glad you are doing so well. And being able to do a bit around the house must be therapeutic. My sister and I just shopped around her house and rearranged some things. It felt so good!

Unknown said...

Nice to hear from you:). I know having someone with you the first two weeks is very important. Moving around little by little and the PT will help tremendously. Hopefully by the end of summer you will feel pain free:). And of course, spending your recovery time with cuddles and precious moments with your sweet little Milo:).
Take care,
Kathleen in Az

Unknown said...

Good afternoon my friend,
So glad to know you are through the surgery and on the mend. I love all your vignettes and the mantel is gorgeous. You know I'm in a funk right now, still no divorce, and I'm blogging very little. For one thing, I don't buy a lot to blog about, and I just haven't had the free psychic energy to blog. Living alone, I have all the yards to keep mowed and that's over 4 acres, so I work some two to three days a week on that. Then I pickup my granddaughter, Rheagan at 3 everyday from school, bring her home for a snack. Then she usually watches her favorite show on her iPhone til her Mom gets here to get her. She's so sweet and lots of company to me in the afternoons.

I no longer have a pet, and won't get one now. My husband had always taken care of our little dog, and when he first left she wouldn't eat or anything, so he took her with him. I miss her, but, won't try to replace her. I actually may be doing some traveling in the future, and won't have to worry about a pet. I hope that doesn't sound harsh, because I do love animals. I'm just aging and the least I have to do, the better. I am just now feeling totally from the illness I went through last June/July. Then getting hit with a divorce out of the blue (if it is ever final) threw me for another loop. Do easy does it for me. I meet my work friends for lunch frequently, I keep in contact with my sisters, watch a lot of youtube and am happy for the most part. Oh, I DON"T cook anymore. Salads, a diet frozen dinner, or a sandwich, and cereal make up my food sources. My daughter has me to dinner on Sunday, and I will cook on Thursdays for her and Rheagan, or take them out. So that's about the extent of my life at the moment. I do have an online friend who I am enjoying talking to.

This wasn't supposed to be about me, but you and I always catch up. So I'm filling in my blogging friend on the goings on here.

I'm wishing you a very speedy recovery with your strength returning more and more every day. I value your friendship and love to see when you have posted. Please take care and don't overdo it.

Your friend
Kathy (Sharing Shadymont)

Simply LKJ said...

Glad to hear the surgery went well and you are on the mend. We will be home for awhile in the coming weeks as hubby has his surgery Friday, and then a 4-5 week recovery period. I plan to spend the time getting things done around the house, so we can then enjoy the rest of the summer.

Mereknits said...

Wishing you a quick recovery Jane. Take your time and rest when you can, your body will thank you.

Rita C at Panoply said...

Jane, it is so good to hear from you. Take it easy. Even 5# weights sound a little already....sometimes doing a "whole lot of everything and not much of anything" might be just what the doctor ordered....as whispered by your angel mother. 😚

Junkchiccottage said...

Hi Jane,
It sounds like your recovery is right on track. Glad you are doing some small things to keep you busy. Just take care and rest your body. As the saying goes do what the doctor says! Have a good weekend. Enjoy all this sunshine and nice temps we are having.
Go sit outside in the yard and get a little sunshine.
xoxo
Kris

Scribbler said...

It's funny, isn't it, how all those little sayings of our mothers make so much more sense when we get older? I know what you mean about the mind racing way ahead of what the body can do! I am really glad no one can see a couple of the disaster areas in my house at the moment!
I am so glad that your surgery has apparently done the trick, and that you are getting better by the day. Doing your therapy even though it is no fun will get you to your goal.

It is wonderful that you feel up to writing again. I am very happy to hear from you!

handmade by amalia said...

Oh, you poor thing. At least the surgery is behind you, you are home and on the road to recovery. I like your 'make do' attitude and all the arrangements, they have a calm beauty that speaks to me.
Amalia
xo

Unknown said...

Glad to hear you are recuperating well. Sending best wishes

Kim said...

Glad to hear that you are on the mend, Jane! One day at a time! xo

Deborah Montgomery said...

I'm glad you are through it! Making things pretty is good for the healing process I think.

Michele M./ Finch Rest said...

Oh my goodness, my sweet friend. I am so sorry that I have been absent so long that I didn't even know you had to go through this. Wow. Well, prayers for your healing being sent up now!

I love this post - I am not experiencing anything as you are (ouch ouch ouch,) but I too have good days and bad days with health - insomnia bouts that are beyond explanation, and arthritis that sometimes gives me a break and sometimes keeps me down. I love your philosophy about doing the little things that help the big things on days such as that. Good going, lady!

You please take care and don't worry and let your poor body heal! Rest and healing is the order of the day! Hugs and smiles for you today. xxoo ♥

Kit said...

So glad you are healing up. Before long you will be off to the lake. Enjoy your new uncluttered house. :) Kit

bj said...

I am sorry that I didn't know of your surgery..I would have prayed for you. I will say prayers for a speedy recovery. Take good care of yourself .....I just came from a blog that talked about decluttering. It makes so much difference....and right now, it's my bedroom I need to work on....bummer !
Love to you

Karen @ Beatrice Euphemie said...

I'm so happy to hear that you are recovering well and even organizing the house! Bless your heart! The kitchen looks great and your mantel turned out really nice. So sorry about Milo. It's so hard.........I'll be sending positive thoughts and prayers for a steady and quick recovery, my dear. Hugs x Karen

Deb from Frugal Little Bungalow said...

It is so good to hear from you..I'd wondered how you were holding up. I hope that the pain lessens every day and you continue to strengthen. Nice to see how all of the little touches that you can work on now are adding up in a big way! )

Decor To Adore said...

Jane I am SO glad you came through your surgery. I am glad they found the source of the problem. May your healing be swift and bring you complete relief. Have a wonderful weekend.

Curtains in My Tree said...


I am sooo glad things went well with your serious surgery, My friend had that done and she had a stroke and it was not good after her back surgery, screws and all.

I'm sure your younger age has something to do with it also.

Take it easy now

Debbie - Mountain Mama said...

Awww Jane I'm glad you're getting up and about a bit now - it's so tough recovering after surgery when we want to get so much done but are not physically capable of doing it. My heart goes out to you and your little Milo - my old girl is like that, she has a hard time with the stairs and is mostly deaf and her eyesight isn't so good either....but she's still enjoying her food and trying to play with her toys so I guess she's not so bad for nearly 16. It's hard watching our furbabies get old!

Melanie said...

It is good to hear from you again, Jane. I'm glad to hear that you feel a little better day by day. Your kitchen is so pretty - I don't think I've ever seen the whole thing. You should show more pictures of it! I know the weather has been crappy the past couple of days, but before that, I hope that maybe you got a chance to go sit outside and get some fresh air and sunshine. Happy Mother's Day!

Silver in AZ said...

I hope your recovery continues to be uneventful! My prayers are with you!

Carrie @ Cottage Cozy said...

I truly hope your recovery is going well, Jane. Give it time and do not overdo! ♥♥

Linda said...

Why am I so late to all your lovely posts?
Hope things are improving every day Jane...
I think of you often...
Take care my friend..
Cheers!
Linda :o)

ann said...

I am so glad to hear that you are recovering. Soon you will be 100%

Karen (Back Road Journal) said...

Happy to hear that the worst is behind you and that you are well enough to do a little rearranging. Everything looks very nice. :D

Elaine said...

Seems I've missed a lot. Did not know you had surgery but glad you are feeling better. Poor Milo, oh it's so hard when they get older. Enjoy those Summer days in the sun with him.

Going to read some of your earlier posts.

Pam - @diy Design Fanatic said...

I'm so glad you're on the mend! You house looks great. It's hard and frustrating when you begin to feel better and see all the things that need tending to. Just keep reminding yourself that your number one job is to do things that heal your body. It takes time - and usually longer than you expected.

Michele M./ Finch Rest said...

Dear Jane - I am super late visiting you and wishing you a full fast recovery, I am so sorry you had (having) to go through all that. I cannot even imagine it for a second.

Sorry you fine furry four-legged friend is getting on in years. That too is difficult.

Just wanted to say hi - and congrats on dec-luttering - it is such an amazing empowering feeling when one does so. (Feng Shui and all that, there's something to it, I swear!)

Take care, pamper yourself. Hugs.

The Crowned Goat said...

Jane, so excited to hear your surgery was successful and you are back home and trying to take it easy on yourself. I know you are a go-getter and a creative so I'm proud of you for just doing a little bit here and there and making your recovery a priority. The changes you've made look really good! Shopping the house to change things up in order to give familiar spaces a fresh feel is one of my favorite things to do. It's always so much fun. You'll continue to be in my heart and prayers as you heal and love on your sweet pup. Big hugs, CoCo

Susie said...

Sweet blondie girl, I just now saw you had posted since your surgery. I am sorry about the pain...but you are a trooper and will pull thru. Going slow is rough for someone who likes to be doing, but it's the best way to heal. Blessings to you and yours, xoxo, Susie
p.s. sorry about Milo's pain too.

Maggie said...

Hi Jane,
I'm back from our Greek vacation, spending a few minutes hopping around catching up with my blog friends and it was so good to hear how well your surgery went and that you are slowly, slowly getting back to your normal way of life. Enjoy these bittersweet days with your pup, whatever makes him happy will make you happy too.
Take care
Maggie.

viagrajakarta said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Carrie @ Cottage Cozy said...

Just dropping in to let you know I am thinking about you and hope you are healing well. It is so true-we see everything that needs to be done when we are unable to get to it. It will all be there when you are feeling up to it.

Mary said...

Thinking of you often my dear and hoping things are continuing to improve for you.
Just left a reply to your comment regarding our 'moving' - which we are not planning anytime soon!

Love and hugs from both if us, OXOXOX

Sarah said...

Jane, I'm thrilled to read that you are feeling better and had made greeat progress! The lake home is so inviting. I know your family enjoys having this special retreat. Happy Summer to you. Take care to continue getting back to good health.

DCAja said...

very nice post!