Wednesday, April 11, 2018

GREAT TARGET & KOHL'S FINDS, A CLEAN OUT YOUR FRIDGE RECIPE, AND THE USUAL RANDOMNESS



I am back a lot sooner than I thought and that makes me happy.  Actually, I started to put a post together in my mind last week.  It happened at night when it was too late to get some pics.  Sadly, a week or so goes by and the amount of stuff I want to share becomes a super long post.  I have had some readers write that my posts are too long to read.   I get that.  Everyone should grab what they identify with or want to chime in on.  A nice comment makes me happy.  

I hope all of you had a wonderful Easter.  Ours went really well; great company, good food, and Bellini's!  The Husband wished everyone a blessed day, and to keep in mind the true meaning of Easter.  We had a buffet dinner, so I didn't do anything fancy with the table.  I didn't do a lot of decorating either.  It is just enough to keep the house clean, and I had no desire to sort through my very unorganized hoarding room for spring decor.  Instead, I picked up three bunches of tulips, and made about five different arrangements which I placed here and there where they would be noticed.  A few candles as well.  I'm beginning to realize that a little goes a long way.




The day before Easter, I did poke my head into said hoarding room, and grabbed some bunnies and a few smaller items.  I played with the mantel a little, at least in a way that wouldn't require a huge effort to put away.  Convenience and time saving is the name of the game lately.  I really hope to get a little help to clean up the hoarding room after summer has gone by.  I use to have it so organized, but its easy to grab, and harder to put away neatly.   My dream is to have labeled bins stacked neatly by category.  Don't we all?  



I'm not sure if any of my past posts showed pics of my former curtains, I think they did.  They had a trailing sort of vine with aqua flowers.  I had no idea that this teenie weenie bit of color would drive me crazy.  They were lined, which I may not have noticed when I ordered them (and I have forgotten from where).  This lining made them very heavy and somewhat obnoxious once hung, and when I tried to open them, they kept closing.  The Husband loved them specifically for the lining, of course, as he thought it made the house warm in the winter.  True, but I felt claustrophobic.  I knew in my sneaky heart that I would never get away with replacing these curtains unless it was an extreme deal, which The Husbands lives for.  

I was in Target one day and saw these.  I loved them at first sight; a sort of paisley/floral.  Light weight cotton, nothing fancy...but oh so spot on just the way Target does it.  The color is described as gray, but I see more beige.  There were only two panels, so I tried to order more of them online.  Alas, discontinued.  I flew back to my local Target and enlisted the help of one of my good friends who works there.  He managed to locate the last six panels, alas, three at one store, three at another store.  Now, you might not know this, but I am the most lazy person you have ever met.  But I reeeeeeeealy wanted these curtains.  I headed off to the other Target, and when the manager came to the customer service counter with six packets, I think I heard to angels sing.  I didn't have to make the trip to the third Target 45 minutes away.


Close up.  So happy.  The Husband has barely noticed.  I was so excited from all of the sweaty running around, but they had been discontinued and marked down to $13.98 per panel.  Oh, heaven.  The planets were aligned.  :D  

So tell me, do you like?  I know I change curtains, shower curtains, and bedding way too often.  I have about ten different shower curtains, mostly from Target, but to my credit, I switch them around a lot between my two bathrooms.  No apologies. 

A not-so-frugal thing I did on Easter, was to forget to put my ham bone in the refrigerator, and it sat out all night (in the roaster pan).  Some of us were talking about the variety of dishes and soups we like to make with the bone.  I love Ham and Bean Soup, my mom always made it with the bone.  I also have a few casseroles, also using beans.  And The Husband loves Split Pea Soup, which grosses me out...but I'll make it.  Someday.  On another somewhat related note, I do not like jelly or jam.  Not because of the taste, it's the texture.  When my kids were in elementary school and I packed their lunches, they sometimes asked why there wasn't jelly on their peanut butter sandwiches like the other kids.  I always apologized that I had forgotten to buy it.  I'm surprised my how many years this worked until they reached the bologna stage.  Oh, I could finally let go of my evil lies.   



Saturday was Abigail Jane's twenty-seventh birthday.  I think back a lot about how easy my pregnancy and delivery was.  She was a tiny spring chick who never gave me a worry.  Just a really happy baby.  I had her when I was thirty-one, and there was no doubt in my mind that I wanted at least one more baby.  Sadly, it didn't happen.  So when I think back to that spring in 1991, and the anticipation of soon having her in my arms, I wish I had been more "there".  Pregnancy is not easy, but if I knew it was never going to happen for me again, I never would have moaned about swollen feet or feeling like I was suffocating.  And now, I don't think I could have asked for better.   

So Abby is our caboose, and she really makes us proud.  She's in her sixth year of teaching high school grammar, she and Tom are planning to get married in July of 2019 at a resort on Lake Geneva, in Wisconsin.  They are planning to move back down here to the Southside after living up north for a few years.  I am so, so relieved and happy to have her close by again.  I also think our area is safer from crime, but some could argue that point.  They will live with Tom's dad, about 3 minutes away from me, for about a year while they save for a house.  That will be interesting.  Ahem.


I've shared quiche recipes a few times before, I simply love how you can switch around and use up bits of cheese and veggies that you have on hand,  In this case I had leftover ham (of course, no ham bone to be seen), and veggies from a plate of crudités   In making quiche over the years, I've changed things up many times.  I always seem to be fighting the effects of excess liquid from either the veggies or dairy.  It can leave a puddle in the bottom of your pie plate, or a soggy crust if you go that route.  The last time I shared a quiche recipe with you, I recommended using a scant 1/4 cup of bread crumbs on the bottom of the pie plate to absorb the liquid.  Another tip I have from trying over and over to get a light and fluffy custard, less, not more eggs will help you achieve that.  I use no more than 4 or 5 eggs per 1 1/2 cup liquid (milk, half and half, or cream).  After that I mix things up, but I would recommend at least 1 1/2 cup of cheeses.  Following is the recipe I used for the quiche I made last week.

Baked Ham & Veggie Quiche (crust less)

6 eggs, beaten well
1 1/2 c half and half
Pinch of salt and nutmeg
1 T butter
1/2 onion, peeled and thinly sliced
1 small zucchini, cut in half lengthwise and sliced thin
2 c diced ham
1 1/2 to 2 c cheese, finely grated
1/2 c dried bread crumbs (optional)

Whisk together the eggs and cream, salt and nutmeg, and set aside.  Melt the butter in a small skillet and add the onion and zucchini.  Sauté until the onion becomes slightly transparent, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat.

In a 9 inch pie dish, sprinkle the bread crumbs evenly on the bottom.  Add the cooked veggies and ham.  Top with the cheese.  I used a variety; Muenster, Parmesan, and Swiss.  Give the egg mixture another good whisk and pour over the cheese and veggies.  A nice sprinkle of Parmesan over the surface makes it brown well and gives a nice crunch.  Bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes.  Let rest for 5 minutes before cutting.  Serves 4.


I treated myself to some flowers the other day.  There is a section in my grocery store that has various 'filler' flowers and some blooming stems, like pussy willow and forsythia.  The blue flowers were there for $5 a bunch.  I can't remember the name of them.  They bloom from the bottom up.  I arranged them with $5 carnations and I smile every time I look at my pretty vase.  

As I finish up this post, I have to tell you that I started it Saturday night!  Hahahahaha!  I give it a go and then I have to run and do something else, then I write for another half hour and have to rush out for something  In the middle, I'm sleeping a lot.  So--I'm going to try to cut to the chase on a few things before I hit publish.  I'll save you and me time.  :-D

1)  Stopped in Kohl's the other day and bought PJ's, undies and bras.  I always do this before a vacation.  This one is going to be at Christ Hospital.  

2)  From the 1,243 hours of sleep I've clocked since January, I know getting fit is the key to getting better.  When I let the dogs out and wait for them to poop and snoop, I do squats, lunges, and jumping jacks.  I swear, it's working.  Not only does my back hurt, everything else does, too.  

3)  As a wannabe scientist, because it sounds so cool when people ask what you do, I was checking into Dead Sea Salts and was a-m-a-z-e-d by all of the benefits one can get by soaking in a bath with them.  It soothes the skin, helps with your muscle aches and pains, and detoxes your body.  I bought a huge bag from Amazon and you can find me at 8:00 p.m. every night in my sub par spa, soaking away.  

4)  While I wile away my horizontal hours, I love watching You Tube makeup videos.  Then I shop the Sephora website, positive I can create the look in the video, and spend so much money that I often accumulate my 500 points for a gift.  Not that I need anything else, but it still makes me feel like I got a burning deal and want to keep my business there.  I mean...all that stuff, most of which I tuck away in a bedroom junk drawer and totally forget about.  I'm working on a post about makeup products, the right and wrong reasons to purchase them.

5)  In keeping with the makeup buying binges, magazines a not harmless from my mad ways.  Flipping through Vogue last month, the January issue I might add, I fell in love with a perfume sample.  You know, the page with the model in a white linen dress, sprawled over a wild horse somewhere in the Sierra Nevada.  The page is folded, but you've already smelled the scent of the perfume before you've left the drugstore with said magazine.  Short story, I fell in love.  With the perfume.  Not the horse, nor the model.  And I now own it.  I could buy 45 copies of Vogue for what I paid for this perfume.  Step away from the magazines. 

6)  Currently on my tube:  The Zoo on Animal Planet.  I can't watch one of these shows without crying.  Especially the other night when an aardvark had an infected tooth removed.  Hiccup.  

7)  I was at Target the other day (SuRpRiSe), and bought an oversized, white faux fur throw for my bed.  Between that and my heating pad, Layla only gets down to eat and piddle.  

I'll be back soon~

Jane x



42 comments:

Marie Rayner said...

You have a lovely home and life Jane. Everything is so beautiful. I love LOVE your new curtains! What a great find! xo

CJ said...

Dear Layla, I can well imagine how much she loves it. I think I would be the same! Gorgeous new curtains, I love it when things come together like that. I hope Abigail had a lovely birthday. Great to see a post from you and hear all your news. I hope things are going well with your health. Hugs, CJ xx

Doreen@foxdenrd said...

I know what you mean about lined curtains. I suppose they have their place but I prefer unlined. The pattern is lovely, and you can really tell in the close up how pretty it is. Great deal too!

xxx

Debbie said...

Jane, I love your curtains! I moved into this house about 9 months ago and there is not one single curtain yet. I find deciding on window coverings to be such a challenge. So many options. I will have to take a look at target because I HAVE to get something on these windows.
I can't believe someone commented that your posts are too long. I love your posts just as they are!

Debbie

coffeeontheporchwithme said...

Hi Jane! I don't mind reading long posts, so have at it! Curtains can really help a room. I desperately need new curtains in a couple of rooms, but the kind I like are so expensive. When I watch British shows (like Escape to the Country) I always notice their gorgeous curtains. I don't know where they get them, but they must cost a bundle. You have such a lovely daughter. I'm sure you will be happy to have her close eventually. -Jenn

Stacey said...

I love the list today! You have been shopping at Target. I've been trying to avoid it because for me, it's just meaningless albeit extremely fun spending! :)

Your Easter sounds like it was perfect. We went to West Texas to visit our Army son. The time was wonderful and much too short. We miss him more than you can imagine.

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

I used to go all out when decorating for holidays but, like you, I realized that my enthusiasm for putting up all I had quickly turned into frustration and no motivation when it came to putting them away. So began, my less is more part of life. Decorating with flowers and just a few non-disposable items is much easier and produces less anxiety.

The curtains are lovely. I had to laugh when you wrote that your husband didn’t notice them. Unless it is eight feet tall, either red or purple and is standing in front of the fridge, my Retired Man would not see it.

Theresa said...

I hardly decorated for Easter this year, perhaps a couple bunnies that were gifts for the grandkids:) I LOVE Target and those curtains are SO pretty! You were lucky to find what you needed! I will remember that trick of looking at other Target stores to complete a set. Enjoy your day dear friend, HUGS!

Jen Kershner said...

Curtains are one of the things I struggle with. Pillows too. And artwork. Ugh. I think I'm too picky? How exciting to score such a bargain!

Jeanie said...

Hi Jane! What a fun post. Oh, I loved your mantle for Easter and your new curtains are terrific. Good on you, running all over town to find the right things but you aced it and at the right price, too! Target is most definitely one of my trouble places.

Your daughter is lovely! I'm an only and I know how much it meant to my parents to have me! She's a lucky girl, too!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I love buying new undies and need some...think I'll go this week! And did you know you can use buttermilk in a quiche recipe...less calories, I think! Enjoy your week. Love your newsy posts! Hugs!

Jill said...

Oh gosh, your jelly/jam lie made me laugh so hard! And got away with it! Funny. I hope your surgery goes smoothly and you are pain free before you know it. My brother in law had a very successful back surgery at the end of December. Back at farming full force.

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

Love the new curtains. I love split pea soup, lol.

An Oasis in the Desert said...

Your new drapes are lovely, Jane! Maybe the color is what they call "greige," which is a gray beige....whatever it is, the drapes are very pretty.

I've discovered what my hubby has against quiche, is the soggy crust. My solution....make it without crust! Yeah, had to do a lot of thinking about that; that is also the remedy for lemon meringue pie! I don't need the crust calories, and he won't eat it, so it saves me an extra big step. I call it a "win-win!"

I always enjoy your posts, and don't care how long they might be. Some people just have to complain about something. My grandmother always said, "If you cannot say something nice, then don't say anything." I think those are wise words. Someone once told me that I posted too many photos in a post. Well, too bad too sad....I posted even more the next time!

Sending prayers for a successful surgery.
Hugs,
Carol

Lisa said...

This reminds me, I need to go to Kohls for a new bra!
Your house looks great. I love your style.
Lisa

Mary@mydogsmygardenandmary said...

Great post Jane. So many great items. Love the curtains.

When are you going to have your surgery? Let me know - prayers will be coming your way for a speedy recovery. I don't know if you read Nana Diana's post, but I will be having heart surgery soon. Just as soon as the paper work is completed. They will be replacing my valve, they go up through the groin and put in a new one. Maybe then I will have more energy and can breath better. Ended up in the ER last Wednesday with heart failure. So my dear take care of your self and get a lot of rest.

Hugs,
Mary

Lorrie said...

Hello Jane,
I love long posts that address a variety of topics. It's like having a conversation that flits from one thing to another, just like in real life.
I'm sorry your next vacation will be in the hospital, but you can wow the docs and nurses with your new undies! And I hope your surgery is successful and you heal well.
Love the new curtains!

Scribbler said...

Personally, I love your long rambling posts. Reminds me of me! ��
About that quiche: Julia Child's formula for the base always works: 2 cups creme, 4 eggs and 1 cup cheese plus a little extra for the top. You can mess with this a little, but not much. Always works for me. Veggies for same? I use this same thing for pizzas, too. Put any watery vegs like zucchini mushrooms onions peppers rolled up in paper towel into the MW for a minute or two depending on quantity and then let cool off as the towel wicks up the water. Keeps the pizza or quiche from being too wet. Your idea about bread crumbs sounds intriguing, too. I will try it next time.

I am looking at some hospital time myself (boo) and so I can empathize with your upcoming confinement, to use an old-timey term. And speaking of Target, have you heard about the Opal Home collection? Check it out!

Vee said...

I may be due for a Target trip. 😏

Jane@Bluebird1959 said...

Congrats to your daughter Jane! My 1991 baby is getting married in 2019 in Lake Geneva as well. Small world. Jane

Lynne said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lynne said...

Love your curtain panels . . .
(I never think about shopping Target . . . unless I am there and say to ”self” . . .
why didn’t I come here sooner!)

Sweet, sweet birthday girl daughter.
How nice it will be to have her closer . . .

Thank you for the quiche tips . . . I haven’t made it for a bit, you’ve inspired me!

Sorry about your not being well . . . surgery coming up.
Sleepy Days . . , hope all goes well with the results you need . . .

Keep your gentle heart, colorful tulips, happy spirit, keen mind, cottage visits, bloggy friendships . . .. .

be well writer friend . . .
with love
hugs
lynne

Unknown said...

Love reading your Journal:). My daughter will be 27 in September, 1991 was a good year:). She lives with her father in law, so he gets to see our granddaughter everyday:). Love the drapes, I bought drapes at Target for my living room window, blue instead of green, big deal for me, change is good! Next year you'll be celebrating your daughters marriage feeling heck of lot better:). My little pups will keep Layla company in the fur throw:)
Take care, Kathleen in Az

ann said...

Here I am playing catch-up again. I have always tried to blog every week to post for Mosaic Monday, but it is getting harder because there is so little going around here and I seem to repeat myself year after year, so reading your thoughts help me come up with ideas. Maybe. I caught up quickly on some of your posts that I missed. I love Target, but I am not nearly as persistent as you are to get what I want if it is discontinued. I admire your tenacity. I am sorry to read that you will be having back surgery. I am fortunate that despite my aches and pains, I don't have back problems. My friend suffers from the same back problem. You will fell so much better after the surgery. I also my have to try your quiche recipe because you have solved the watery quiche problem. We always have plenty of eggs and I am always looking for ways to use them up. Stay well.

Junkchiccottage said...

Good to see your post Jane. Also glad that you had a great Easter. Now if we could just get some Spring around here!!! I love the curtains and am glad you did not have to run all over to get the number of panels you needed. That always happens to me when I find something I like!! Happy Birthday to Abigail. Have a great rest of the week.
xoxo
Kris

Andrea Nine said...

Happy Birthday to your beautiful Abby!!! Too funny, I always shop for undies before a vacay too. Love brining in fresh flowers and oh may, your quiche recipe sounds heavenly. I usually do not do a crust in mine so how brilliant to put some breadcrumbs in the bottom!! Hope you're feeling great today and get some warmth...I think we're going to get a couple days of sweet Spring! xo

Rita C at Panoply said...

Well, after spending pretty much most of my free (and some dedicated) time in my basement the last eight weeks, I completely understand the hoarding room. Trust me, even when the tubs are labeled, it's still overwhelming...your home looked very cheerful with the tulips.
Your Sephora story and points to 500 cracks me up...I did that at least once, I know. With 6 sisters, 2 daughters and numerous nieces, it's easy to spread the gifts around. :)
Stay true to yourself, Jane, forget the downers who try to tell you how to write.
XO
Rita

Susie said...

Blondie, Your Abby is a beauty, takes after you. So glad to read she will be marrying Tom. I loved the new curtains. I am not so into heavy drapes or curtains. If I could I would have lace at all windows. I love seeing out , seeing the sun and birds. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

Sarah said...

Jane, it's always a delight to read your posts. I come away feeling as if I just stopped by a friend's and enjoyed a good visit.
Happy Birthday to your darling Abby.

Deb from Frugal Little Bungalow said...

I enjoy your long newsy posts :) The curtains look wonderful and what a pretty picture of your daughter !

It's me said...

I always love to read your post...so long ...filled with beautiful things....Welcome back...please stay blogging is so fun...with lovely ladies over the world....love Ria x 💜

Karen @ Beatrice Euphemie said...

Hi Jane, love catching up with you - it's like having coffee with a friend! Oh, before I comment - I wanted to tell you how pretty your new profile pic is. I love your new 'pared down' decorating for the holidays. I am embracing that whole philosophy now - less is more, even though my home still looks way too cluttered. I need to work on that. Love your new curtains and the whole bargain thing. It's so easy to change things up with fabric - curtains, pillows, runners and you always have impeccable taste. How nice to have your beautiful daughter living close to you again. Happy Birthday to her and hope it is a good year. Oh to be 27 again! The quiche looks so good and love the tip about the bread crumbs. It really is the perfect spring meal. I always laugh at your adventures....the perfume story was too funny. Soaking in the sea salts and cuddling on the bed with a fur throw with Vogue sounds heavenly right now. I can't wait for warmer weather. It's so cold today. I hope you have a good weekend filled with simple pleasures. xo Karen

Debbie - Mountain Mama said...

I adore your new curtains!! I invested in new drapes for most of my home when Country Curtains was going out of business and I am still so in love with them - what a difference they make in a home! Don't get me started on Sephora....and makeup videos. I have to NOT watch them because I end up buying wayyy too many 'magic' products that don't really do anything to help my 50 year old face. Sigh.

Mereknits said...

SO much news to share. THe dead sea salts sound perfect, I hope they are helping. A little Kohl's ans Target shopping always lifts my spirits. Have a wonderful weekend.

Anonymous said...

your Easter mantle looks so pretty with bunnies trailing across, I love that! The quiche looks so good and I will remember all the tips too,, I have been thinking of you,, wondering how you are with your upcoming surgery,, good for you doing the exercises,, thats a great idea and I also love to soak in salts,, mine are just Epsom salts but they sure do calm the aches and pains, thats white throw sounds lovely,, as long as Layla comes with it lol,, take care my friend,, I keep you in my thoughts,

Stonecropsister said...

Hi Jane,
loved seeing the pic of your daughter, and now reading about her as a baby. special time isn't it, being a mom? a gift for sure. Your grand babies are so beautiful too. xx Nancy

mike shinoda said...

Excellent to see your post Jane.

Website- Wrap around bed skirt

handmade by amalia said...

Great to see you back to yourself and catch up on all your news. I love the curtains and the quiche looks delicious.
Amalia
xo

Linda said...

What a lovely visit! Your posts are never long enough! Or often enough for me!

Terra said...

You have a beautiful touch with home decor while watching expenses. I should fly you out here to guide me, ha ha. I am having new quartz kitchen counters put in as my next project. Choosing the color is hard but fun. I like all the flower bouquets you have.

SACHIN said...

Very informative blog... Thanks for sharing, Hope this helps many!

Gaylord A. Pena said...

The home with the curtains looks great and i will try to put this in same way in upcoming days in my home also.
rv short queen sheets