Tuesday, July 19, 2016

THE FIFTH SEASON AND VACAY TIME


Hello Friends.  It's just little 'ol me.  I simply can't believe that summer is so far along.  I wrote my August newspaper column the other day (yes...we do it way ahead of time) and I suggested the idea of a fifth season.  From mid~August to the end of September, perhaps.  That bit of lull we have when summer is waning (as well as our heat tolerance) and the anticipation of cooler weather, shorter days and the coziness of moving back indoors begins to look welcome.  Yep, I think an additional season is a winning idea.

I'm just sharing a few pictures from the garden that look pretty darn good in spite of the heat we are having.  We've had some good rain recently, but unfortunately it spawned tornado's to the west of Chicago.  Severe weather is now predicted and broadcasted so much better than before, I assume a result of better technology.  It's truly prepares us but it also sets off a lot of anxiety for me (and others) who have a deep fear of threatening weather.  The Husband had to pry me from the TV the other night at 11:00 p.m. as I clutched my flashlight and phone.  I don't think I'll change.  Is ignorance bliss?  Or just plain stupid?



One of my younger sisters once said that she always started out gardening in the early spring with a ton of energy in buying, planting and tending her garden.  By August she was tired of it all and could care less if everything died.  I sometimes feel that way.  Maybe I was a little over zealous in the spring and planted more flowers than I could take care of.  I really love potted plants as I can surround my patio with them...the borders of my yard are a little far off to appreciate the color and beauty unless you take a little stroll.  Back in June I would meticulously water and weed and sweep my patio.  Well, I'm not so  fussy now.  But the other day I had to make a run to Home Depot and the prices on perennials were outstanding.  Of course I came home with a few: some Shasta daisies, coneflowers and Carpathian Harebells.  I picked up a cell pack of impatiens to fill in some pots that had lost a few flowers.  Heck~~~we do have some time before that fifth season!  I'll never have as much time here in the city to play with my garden as I've had this summer and last.  The time at the lake and the gardening there makes it overwhelming to come back here and go at it again.  So plants that come up year after year make me very happy.  :-D



I've dogsat granddog Tulo two weekends in a row.  My son needs to book him in the doggie hotel a little more in advance.  I truly love this 100+ pound ball of happy fur and he's very much at home here, but you can see how cramped his style is. This is my favorite little room, the den.  The Husband and I usually watch a movie together on Saturday night.  I joked with my son that his bathrooms are larger than my den (seriously...and all 5 of them).  Then again, Tulo might like the coziness.  He's actually an English Cream Retriever but Jeff gets him groomed almost like a Lab in the summer to keep him cool.  Isn't he beautiful?



Emily took this precious picture of Elsie at her home recently.  I think it's the angle but our little girl is only 17 months.  She looks about 2 here!  She's really learning to talk and as I've mentioned before, we have her here about 3 hours every Thursday night while the parents get out.  Sometimes I think, "What will we do for fun tonight?"  No worries.  Playing outside, dinner or a snack, taking a walk or a ride in her 'whatever it is thingie she sits in while you push with one handle'.  Some play inside with Grandfather amusing her as only he can and then clean up and PJ's.  When Kevin walks in she jumps up and down and giggles like, "Ha!  See where I've been!".  

I'll try not to bombard you with pictures of her but it's hard.  I don't take a lot, but Emily has her all day on Thursdays and gets some great shots.  

And speaking of the Mother To Be, she is more than halfway along in her pregnancy.  She continues to work and do more than she should.  She's always been a busy bee and very driven.  But I'm grateful she's taking some naps and really watching certain food that are 'new to me' harmful.  Sometimes she can be outright paranoid.  For example, we had lunch at a restaurant recently and the conversation sort of went:

Emily:  "Does your water taste funny?"
Me:  "Not at all"
Emily:  "My Coke tastes weird, too."
Me:  "Okay."
Emily:  "I'm just going to drink my water."
Me:  "Fine."
Emily:  "Do you want to use my hand sanitizer?"
Me:  "No, why?"
Emily:  Well, you know...you are touching things on the table and then you'll get in my car."

Finally.  On the way home.  The killer.

Emily:  "Mom. You keep scratching your head.  Can you please stop?"
Me:  "Why?  Does it bother you?"
Emily:  Well, yeah.  I don't want dead skin follicles all over my car."

Someone please trade places with me.  ;-(



I made fish and chips for dinner the other night.  I love fish and know that it's healthy.  Fried food is not so healthy but I figure the good~for~you fish might cancel out the bad grease.  Sort of like ordering a diet pop with french fries.  People laugh at that but I think it's a great balance.  A win~win.

So...save it for one of those days when you want something greasy and salty.  Be prepared to spend about an hour cleaning up your stovetop afterward.  ;-D

Jane's Fish & Chips

1 to 1 1/2 lb. fresh cod
I egg swished around with a whisk or fork

1 1/2 t baking soda
2 c flour
2 t salt and pepper

1 to 1 1/2 c canola oil
2 T malt vinegar (optional)

Cut pieces of cod into 4 pieces.  Mix together flour mixture while you heat up the oil and vinegar in a deep pan over medium to high heat.  Dip the fish in the egg and dredge in the flour mixture.  Fry approximately 2 minutes on each side.  Do not let them over~brown.  Keep the thinner pieces of cod toward the sides of the pan.  Remove to a plate and cover with foil until ready to serve.  

My simple tartar sauce is a mixture of mayo, pickle relish and a teaspoon of fresh lemon juice.  Play and taste...so fun.

For the chips I cut 4 medium size Idaho potatoes (after washing them) into 1/4 inch slices.  Line a sheet pan with parchment paper and brush the potatoes with a bit of canola oil...Sprinkle with a teaspoon of salt (add a bit more after cooking).  Bake at 425 for approximately 20 minutes until tender, but watch closely.  

Recipe serves 4.  Enjoy!!!!



Okay..drumroll!  The winner of this book is Mary Alice at Chateau Chic.  I appreciate so many of you who expressed interest in this book...I'm still plowing away at this one and the prequel.  Good reading  It's okay to read more than one book at a time, right?  Mary Alice, congrats and please email your address.

I'm up to my ears in things I need to do this week.  We leave for Asheville for 9 days this Saturday.  I'm going 500 miles away but acting like I'm going to Bora Bora.  We have a washer and dryer at the condo but I pack as if I need 8 outfits a day.  I would like to get a pedicure and perhaps a new dress or pair of sandals but we'll see.  Longtime followers know how neurotic I can be when I take a trip.  I'm also working on Emily's baby shower along with her mother in law.  And the countdown to getting back into the lakehouse seems to be just around the corner so I'm running around like crazy looking for drapes and bedding and linens for which the insurance company will later reimburse us.  I haven't been there in 12 months...The Husband goes (he doesn't mind a port-a-potty and a sandwich from a gas station), and I can see from his cell phone photos that I have cabinets, a pretty floor, a beautiful staircase and a shiplap ceiling in the kitchen.  Joanna Gaines would be proud.  Seriously, can't wait to share this.

I am done with physical therapy but I had an episode with my back going totally awry a few weeks ago.  Seriously bad.  I had an MRI and it was beyond having a 'bad back', as I've called it for the past few years.  5 bulging disks and severe nerve root problems around two lower vertebra.  For the wise and medical/insurance people I know...this is it.  The bad and ugly.  I know the PT routine and now do it at home.  My physician provides great incentive for me, I really like and respect him.  Do the exercises, get to a gym and drop the weight.  The ball is in my court or he will be fusing my spine together with metal screws in a year.  I'm definitely moving on that.  What a guy.  He never made me feel embarrassed or uncomfortable.  How can you feel offended when a doctor straight out tells you that you are young and your health is in your own hands?  Wish me luck.   

We leave Saturday and I'll bring my laptop.  I usually have a little time here and there when The Husband goes trout fishing or to this falconry place he found to risk have his nose bitten off by a real hawk landing on his arm.  The bait is a hunk a raw meat.  I've heard the expression that you can't 'unsee what you've seen'.  In this case I can't 'unsee' something gross that's best left to avid viewers of the National Geographic channel.  Facing your fears is something that's very big these days~some of them might even be on your 'Bucket List".  Mine include trying ice cream with peanut butter in it, and using a gas station restroom.  

Off I go.  I'll report from beautiful Asheville, North Carolina in a few days.  

Jane x 

  

57 comments:

chateau chic said...

I'm still laughing about your conversation with Emily...too funny! I can sure relate to your sister's enthusiasm over flowers winding down by August. I've already let a couple of mine bite the dust.

I'm so excited to be the winner of your wonderful giveaway...thank you so much, Jane! I'll look forward to some happy mail soon.
Mary Alice

Unknown said...

I love your posts:). Cute pictures of Elsie and Tulo, a win~win:). When I was at my moms, we had delicious fish and chips ( restaurant ) once a week and yours look sumptuous! Yes, coming back to where I live ( Phoenix ), I feel like a crabby patty, hiding in my shell. Enjoy your vacation and to think, soon enough you'll be relaxing at the lake.
Your back, that sounds hurtful and very uncomfortable. How do you deal with the pain? Strong lady you are and positive thoughts for you at the gym ( I'm sure they will modify the excerizes for your back ) and losing weight if that will help you not to have the surgery.
Have a wonderful time with your husband in Asheville and be Brave, try peanut butter ice cream with lots of fudge sauce ( walk around the beautiful town, you know, a win~win:)). Kathleen in Az
p.s. When I was a teenager I drank diet coke and ate donuts, a win~win!

Susie said...

Blondie, I hope you have a grand vacation. You deserve one. Dog sitting, gardening, entertaining, cooking. I had to laugh about Emily..she sounds like me. MY girls say I am a germ-a-phobe. LOL. I am completely nuts when it comes to germs and pests. I just can't it. I sure hope your own PT at home helps with your back. I have issues too. Bless your sweet heart, xoxo, Susie

Rita C at Panoply said...

Hi Jane, it's so good to hear from you! Elsie is beautiful and so is granddog Tulo. Keep those pictures coming...I was sidetracked by her pretty little profile on the sidebar until I came upon her photo in this post. :) Fried fish - we used to eat it at least once a week growing up...I even had my turn at cooking it (we all eventually had turns cooking at home when mom went back to work). Diet coke and anything sounds good to me - even vitamins (yep, it's what I do).
Lol, your Emily's fetishes crack me up....follicles in the car, bahaha.
I can't wait to see your lakehouse!
A fifth season? Yea, I think I could do that.....and I'm like your younger sister...by August, I am ready for it all to just die and be gone. March-April I love the work and new growth/color, May-June I have a lot of work in staking my hibiscus (dread), July everything is at peak and I can kick back and enjoy the color (but not those storms - they scare me too!). Then August....meh.
I hope you can get into a routine so you won't have to have the spinal fusion - that's a scary proposition.
Have a great rest of the week and trip to Asheville!
Rita

Kathleen Grace said...

Wow, you ARE brave! A gas station restroom isn't even on my bucket list, lol! So sorry to hear about your back, my gosh, I'll be praying you have the willpower to make the changes necessary for your health. We are all, of course, waiting for the big lake house reveal. I just can't wait to see it. I hope you have a wonderful time in Ashville, that is a place I have always longed to visit. THAT is on my bucket list!
I am at the same place as you are re: the garden. Right about now the second weeding needs to be done everywhere and it is so hot I just can't seem to make myself get out there. Still love my garden, just tired of the work. As for Emily's germ and hair follicle phobia, have you told her about baby poop and spit up? I'm pretty sure the idea of a few hair follicles will be forgotten when the baby comes;)

Judy at GoldCountryCottage said...

Hi Jane, have a great trip. Hope your back gets to feeling better. It's hard to have a good time when your back is hurting. Happy Tuesday..Judy

Carla from The River said...

Hi Jane,
I just loved this post. I am still laughing about your son's dog. LOL
I am also still laughing about Emily.

Praying for you and your family.
Have a great trip.
Love, Carla

Doreen@foxdenrd said...

I would bungee jump, jump out of a plane, and even get a Brazilian, but use a gas station bathroom?? Now THAT'S scary.

Elsie does look big in that photo, but what a doll!

Enjoy Ashville!

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

That Elsie sure is a cutie!

I've used every sort of bathroom you can imagine, especially in Nepal. Hovering sometimes doesn't work out so well because I refuse to sit. Just give me a hole in the ground and some privacy and let me squat. Honestly, that's the best way to do it.

Your doctor is right. It's up to you to take your health into your own hands. You know what you need to do.

Have a great trip!

DUTA said...

In case you need to loose weight, do it right away as weight loss can solve a lot of issues including back ones.
As for five seasons, I think we're gradually approaching the time of no distinct seasons
Climate is becoming chaotic almost anywhere.

Have a wonderful vacation in Asheville!

Unknown said...

Busy, busy!! Love the picture of sweet Elsie. She's gorgeous! Have a great vacation in Asheville. Maybe it will be cooler up there. We're in S. GA, and it has been around 100 most days. Stifling heat. My daughter has been eating less than 100 carbs a day and walking 3 miles, and has lost 52+ pounds since April 4th. Consistency has been her strong suit. She's looking so good. She was borderline diabetic and the Dr. told her it was up to her, so she has been amazing walking in this horrible heat.

I'm looking forward to photos of the lake house. Take care!

Cindy @ Applestone Cottage said...

Hi Jane,
This summer is surely flying by. Maybe we can plan a get together for early this fall. I'm excited for you and your Asheville trip. And that Elsie is getting so big! I bet you enjoy your time with her.
Can you believe the heat we have coming? Looks like tomorrow and Friday will beh the worst.
I will email you soon, it's been a difficult summer.
Cindy

Theresa said...

Oh girl, I can't wait to see the NEW lake house! I know it will be gorgeous! Have fun packing and traveling, resting and having fun in Asheville! Precious little visitor, I know you are having fun watching her grow:) Enjoy your day dear friend, BIG HUGS!

Karen said...

I love the idea of a fifth season! Can you sneak in an extra month of the year to extend it? My flowers are looking a bit tired, too, from all of the heat. Time to prune the petunias way back, that always helps to get another round of blooms from them.

Keep on enjoying summer!

It's me said...

Happy summer Jane.....love Ria x ❤️

Mary said...

Great post - see you soon! Will be hot by sound of it - even in the mountains. Don't bring too much - you know you'll want to go shopping in Asheville. . . . . . . .whilst A is doing his thing!

We have falconry friends in NH and I've had one land on my arm to snack (not on my arm, on the bait!!!). You stand with your back to where the magnificent bird is flying from and it's quite a great feeling when it suddenly lands on the glove - I was thrilled. Bob refused to try it but granddaughter and I did it a couple of times!

Safe travels - we'll be in touch.
Hugs - Mary

20 North Ora said...

So glad your lake house is almost finished. I know you love that place. Have a great vacation in that beautiful part of the USA.

Judy

Deb from frugal little bungalow said...

Elsie's adorable and I remember when that beautiful dog was a new pup. And I got a great laugh in regards to Your Germiness.!

Row homes and Cobblestones said...

I am chuckling over your conversation with Emily! Thanks for sharing that one sweet Jane. Congrats go to Mary Alice, one of my favorite bloggers. I really am thinking you are onto something with your 5th season idea. Philly is sizzling and getting hotter, 99 this weekend is for the prediction - YIKES! Your flowers look gorgeous, mine are requiring lots of watering ... Cést la Vie!!!
xoxo,
Vera

Mary@mydogsmygardenandmary said...

Oh Jane, I am still laughing at our conversation with your daughter. Mine son and DIL were the same way while she was pregnant and then after the baby was born is was worse. You almost had to take a shower and put on clean clothes, just to hold her.

So sorry to hear about your back, please take care of yourself, you don't want the back surgery, it's not fun.

The Lake House sounds like it is coming right along. I am looking forward to seeing the pictures when it's finished.

Have a wonderful vacation and don't take to many clothes so you can go out and shop some.

We are right in the middle of a heat wave, so I was up at 6:30 a.m. watering before 8 because we can't water after that until 6 p.m. Did most of my chores so I don't break a sweat LOL. I do have A/C and that will going on soon.

Have a terrific vacation and enjoy your self.

Hugs,

Mary

Brenda Pruitt said...

My yoga stretches sure helps with back pain. I learned after my first back surgery at age 30 that surgery isn't always the answer. It could be for you, but of course I hope you don't have to do it. The stretching keeps me limber and loose. Always buy coneflowers when on sale!
Brenda

Barbara F. said...

I was doing chair yoga and it is so relaxing and helps with knees and back. Shoulders I am still struggling with! Have a great vacay. I would love to visit Asheville one day. Baby Elsie is so adorable. She has grown so fast!

Barbara F. said...

I always hit publish too fast. Your fish and chips sounds wonderful. I never added vinegar to frying oil before. I cannot have fried and greasy foods right now, long story, but I hope to be able to once in a while down the road. Looking forward to photos of the lake house, your vacay, the baby shower! Lots of good stuff happening.

Amy at Ms. Toody Goo Shoes said...

I vote yes for a fifth season! I am total agreement about gardening - I am gung ho in the spring, and totally bored with it by August. Not that I'm bored with looking at it - bored with taking care of it. I need more perennials in my life! LOL about your conversation with your daughter!! BTW, I ended up buying both of your book suggestions; reading Lunch in Paris right now, and loving it! Have a great time in Asheville!

Melanie said...

Tulo is such a handsome boy and Elsie so beautiful!

Can't believe Emily is halfway through her pregnancy already.

Congrats to Mary Alice for winning your book giveaway!

You didn't go to the lakehouse last weekend (or weekend before, can't remember) with Al?

Do everything you possibly can to avoid that back surgery. I know several people that have had it, and it isn't pretty. It also isn't a guaranteed forever fix. One of my friends has actually had it done twice already. I'm back to walking again - did the treadmill this morning and took an evening walk with Brian tonight - and my top priority is finding a regular yoga class again. The yoga helps back pain immensely.

Have a wonderful time in Asheville and pack lightly! You can always do laundry when you are there. And lighter luggage means you can bring things home that you bought in Asheville. ;-)

Jacqueline said...

That's exactly how I feel about my garden right now - except for the tomatoes and basil! I am sick of deadheading and everything looks leggy and dry from 100 degree weather for weeks. I left for four days and came back to most of the blooms in the back having been consumed by some greedy thing or other! Yikes - it looks awful.
Your fish and chips look wonderful. I have never fried my own fish - only broiled or grilled. The crust looks perfect. Well, have a wonderful vacation!

ann said...

There is always so much to think about after reading your posts. My flower pots have already gone by the way side. My fault. I thought if a little Miracle Grow was good, more would be better. Not. And it has been bloody hot. I wonder why I bother. Except that I am ever hopeful. Such a sweet little granddaughter. Mine are growing up so fast. The youngest is 4 now. Such a character. Enjoy your time way. We will enjoy your posts from there.

Curtains in My Tree said...


I like reading your long post and seeing all your pictures of your sweet baby girl and sweet granddog.
You have a full wonderful life except for your back problem.I am surprised how many of us have same back problem, just had another mri for my back

happy summer

sincerely Janice

Lisa said...

Jane,
You are a better woman than me. I have never been able to read more than one novel at a time. I can't keep up with all the plots and who's married to who! I am adding this one to my mile high summer reading list that I hope to finish by next spring.;-)
I hope you know that your blog has been completely upstaged by Tulo and Elsie! If I had those two around I would get nothing else done! We'd play all day!
PS Sorry to hear about your back but the DR is right. Take care of YOU!

Lisa @ Texas Decor said...

Your conversation with Emily cracks me up! So funny! Tulo is such a big boy and you're right...he sure looks comfy there. :) Now the star of this post is sweet pretty Elsie. What a wonderful time you two must have every week. Soak it up!

Stacey said...

I can just hear you and Emily talking!! You know, sometimes we all fall into the worrying about yucky germs realm. She'll get out of it. :)

Your fish and chips look amazing!

Elsie does look older but it's just that she's looking like a little girl and not so much baby.

I know what you mean about gardening at this point. We have Bermuda grass trying to invade some of our flower beds. It's 82 degrees when I wake up in the mornings and rises rapidly. The grass can just have its way.

Jill said...

Such a great post! Have a great time in Asheville we visited years ago and went to the Biltmore and it's just beautiful! I now live in NC about 2-3 hours from Asheville. :-) Have a great night!

Blessings
Jill

Mereknits said...

You have been so busy Jane! Wishing you a wonderful trip and if it make you feel better I am thin and have four bulging disks in my neck and four in my low back. It happens to all of us!
Meredith

Karen @ Beatrice Euphemie said...

Hi Jane, oh, that beautiful little Elsie just melts my heart.....You have been one busy gal, my goodness! Not fun when you are in pain, though. It's so good that you have, what sounds like, a great doctor. It's so important when they listen to you....Your fish and chips look so good. I hope your trip goes smoothly and that you are able to get in some much needed R&R! xo Karen

Debbie said...

Elsie is just the cutest ever, Jane!!! So nice that you see so much of her!
Sounds like being pregnant resembles menopause....lol.
My oldest daughter is 41 and just starting to get those "mood" things....ugh.
I was done with everything by age 40!!! I know, too young...but runs in my family.
Have a great trip, and send lots of pics our way!
Hopefully your gardens will survive until you return. We water everyday up here.
Can't wait to see photos of your lakehouse!
Love to you.
Debbie
xo

oakleyses said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Sissie's Shabby Cottage said...

Hi Jane,
I always love your posts. You truly keep it real and that's what I love about you! I have to laugh about your paranoid daughter conversation. My son is the same way, in fact, I rarely ever ride in his new truck because I'm afraid to breathe in there! Your grandbaby is so sweet and adorable. I understand being scared of the storms and bad weather. We are going into Hurricane season here on the coast. It's always nerve wrecking!

Enjoy Ashville.

hugs
Sissie

Scribbler said...

Have fun in Asheville! Your posts are always so entertaining -- the conversation with Emily is too funny. Hormones?

I do hope you don't have to do the spinal fusion. Once of my friends did, and had to have a followup correction. It sounded like something no one would want to have to do.

bj said...

hahhaa...i just love you, Blondie...your posts are so much fun to read...I laughed about the good for you fish canceling out the grease....Mr. Sweet would agree with you....
Have fun on vacation...and I hope your back doesn't have to have major overhaul...

Pondside said...

Thanks for the smile, Jane! I hope you enjoy every minute of your holidays!

thistlewoodfarm said...

LOL! Congrats to the winner and thanks for making me smile. I was a little over the top when I was pregnant. :)

Happy day!
karianne

Vee said...

I am nodding my head as I read so much of your commentary...your health is in your own hands...yikes! That one is scary and applies to me as well. I used to sweep my deck, but now I am not so fussy...bingo! Right down to the daughter who may be obsessed with germs...yup. Have a very happy journey south and enjoy your time while there.

Leslie said...

ohhhh can I relate to your sister right now. after a few weeks of being sick, My container pots are fried. I was thinking about replacing some of the flowers.. but its too hot.
Both your grand dog and grand daughter are adorable! I know that you have a blast when she's there.
Your fish recipe sounds great. I love fish.
have a great trip!!!

LANA said...

Good luck in Asheville, enjoy, I hear it is a wonderful town. Hope your back feels better.

Jen Kershner said...

Oh goodness. How I enjoy your posts. I pinned that recipe for fish and chips but am feeling a little annoyed at you for making me so hungry at 10:20 at night! ;) Your grands (dog and daughter) are adorable! We've talked about an English cream but yikes $$$!

That conversation with Emily cracked me up but only because it wasn't me having it. You must have a deep reserve of patience!

I hope you are having a great time on your trip and are enjoying cooler weather. We have cooled down a bit here but I'm having great difficulty convincing myself to go outside and water!

Celestina Marie said...

Hi Jane, Well you had me lol with the conversation with Emily. Too cute. Elsie is a little doll baby.
Your flowers look beautiful in-spite of the heat. We are so hot here it's a challenge now to keep the flowers going. I'm sure my late August the fun will wear off and I'll be feeling like your sister.
Love your fish and chips. Wow that looks delicious. Thanks for sharing the recipe.
Enjoy your time in NC Thanks for stopping by and your sweet comment. xo

Optimistic Existentialist said...

To me, all gas station bathrooms resemble a Law and Order crime scene....

Town and Country Gals said...

Jane,
Elsie is adorable and boy do they grow so fast! Sarah is 19mos and also looks much bigger then what you'd think. They are so much fun! We keep both girls pretty much every Friday night so their Mom and Dad can have some time together,(really so we can have them all to ourselves)! I can hardly believe Kailyn just turned 4 on the 26th and will be in school next year!
It's been horribly hot here also, thank goodness for the pool! I don't know what the weather is like in Ashville but hopefully cooler then most other places! It's so beautiful there, I know you'll enjoy your trip!
Rebecca

Decor To Adore said...

Jane that fish looks SO good! I just adore your sweet Elsie! Totally laughing and relating about the conversation with Emily.

Life at Still Woods said...

Hi Jane,
That little Elsie is a cutie! I like the idea of another season. What could we call it? It is so HOT down on the MS Gulf Coast. I just want cooler weather to get here. I see you are off to Ashville. Enjoy your vacation! One of our relatives just moved there. He is a nurse anesthetist for a local hospital there. Just started on Monday! He is exited to live in that beautiful part of the country.
Blessings from Lynda at Still Woods Farmhouse

Stonecropsister said...

Hi Jane,
I cannot believe how big Elsie is! It just seems not so long ago that she was a little thing in pictures, and now she's turned into this little princess. You must have fun when she visits.
I hope you have a great time on vacation. I know what you mean about packing (aka overpacking). It doesn't seem to matter if the place is many countries away or just down the road - it's nice to pack as if you won't be near a washing machine for a month. Its part of the experience I think. xx Nancy

Marilyn Miller said...

Thanks for visiting me at Delights of the Heart. I had to laugh about the fried fish canceling out each other. I have thought that same thing when it comes to my weakness for fish and chips. Sweet grand daughter. Yes, I bought more flowers just today when I went to the store for something else. Can't help buying more for the garden.

Burlap Luxe said...

Cute cute cute,
It's a beautiful visit and a chuckled helped my day. Love her sweet name.
A beautiful summer to you, but so looking forward to cooler days, and they can't come soon enough for me!

Xx
Dore

Maggie said...

Jane, you brighten my day with your stories. Elsie is such a poppet, how she's grown!
I look forward to more news from the lake and wish you a wonderful vacation in Asheville, give Mary a hug from me.
Take care, M.

Summer said...

Little Elsie is so cute ♥ Have a great week ♥

Summerdaisy.net

Stan and Jody Gabara said...

Jane, I can't believe it's August too. Where did the summer go? Your garden looks gorgeous! The fish and chips look delicious!! Thanks so much for sharing the recipe! Hope your back is feeling better, its sounds like to have a good plan!! Elsie is precious ♥ Happy Sunday, Jody

Traci said...

Awful news about your back but I guess it's good that you can do something about it. I love love love fried fish!! Definitely one of my faves along with fried shrimp. Tulo is beautiful. He looks perfectly at home. You're right the baby does look older than 17 mos. She's such a cutie. I had to laugh at your daughter with all the weird little pregnancy things. My sis in law was the same way when she was pregnant. Hope you had a great vacation.