Tuesday, February 2, 2016

SOME SHARES OF MY HOME, A FEW RECIPES AND CELEBRATIONS


It's raining cats and dogs and we have thunder and lightening.  Wow...February 2?  Since it's been a really quiet, lazy day here in Blondieville, it feels sort of cozy hearing the rain on the roof, the distant thunder and trying to see out of the rain spattered windows.  Great day to stay in, turn the lamps on low and have soup for lunch.  I took a shower and jumped right back into a pair of p.j.'s.  The afternoon went by quickly reading my book and a few magazines on my bed.  

We had a really great weekend.  I have a birthday coming up so The Husband and I went out to a Louisiana Cajun style restaurant that has been here forever.  We really had a ball, just the two of us.  The place is lively, noisy and so fun.  It was also decorated for Mardi Gras so that was very festive.  The Husband had trout and I had soft shell crab.  Tomorrow is my actual birthday and he came home just a little while ago and wants to take me to my favorite Mexican restaurant for dinner tonight as he is working late tomorrow.  With the rain and the fact that I'm in my p.j.'s, I could easily just stay on my laptop watching the news.  We have really cut back on having dinner out and ordering food in.  I, personally, don't go to fast food restaurants.  There's nothing I can eat on the menu that's good for me other than salads and I can make those at home.  Unfortunately we are tempted by all of the restaurants around us that deliver anything from their menu from a burger to a steak...and with all the sides.  Still, we've found by plugging along and going out just once in a great while, we can indulge in some of the better restaurants.  But I digress.  The restaurant we are going to tonight is known for it's gourmet Mexican food.  Here is a link.  Check out the menu. ***



While we are on the subject of food, I wanted to share a great soup I made last week that had The Husband swooning.  I have been Pinning cauliflower recipes like mad, it is so versatile and low in carbs which I try very hard to avoid.  I adapted this big time from a recipe for cauliflower chowder.  I wanted something creamier.  It's very rich and filling and I toasted some thick slices of bread (for the man), with a little olive oil and garlic.  

Cream of Cauliflower Soup

4 slices bacon
3 T butter
2 carrots, diced
2 celery stalks, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 c flour
4 cups chicken broth
1/4 c milk
1 small head of cauliflower cut away from the stem
1 bay leaf
s & p

Cook 4 slices of bacon in a large pot or dutch oven over medium heat until crisp, set aside.  In the same pot melt the butter.  Add the carrots and celery and sauté until just tender/crisp, 2-3 minutes.  Add the garlic and cook one additional minute.

Add the flour to the pot and whisk continuously about 1 minute until it starts to brown.  Add the chicken broth a bit at a time, whisking all the while and scraping the pieces from the bottom of the pot.  Add the milk, cauliflower and bay leaf.  Bring to a boil and then adjust heat to  low simmer and cook covered 1/2 hour.  Remove the bay leaf and let the soup cool a bit.  Then puree with an immersion blender (which I used), or a standard blender until smooth.  A food processor will work, too.  Serve in bowls topped with the crumbled bacon bits you've reserved.  You may want to reheat it a bit in the pot just before serving.  This is a great 'make ahead' soup.  Serves 4.

I hope you enjoy this soup.  It is stick-to-your-ribs comfort food soup.  If you don't puree it, serve it like a chowder.  With some good bread it is a perfect winter meal.



If this isn't the truth---it's not so easy to find things to post about in the dead of winter.  Would you care to see a photo of a snowplow going down my street?  Hear of all the movies I've caught on the LMN channel?  How despite running a humidifier night and day I still have dustballs the size of Texas?  Yep, sad posting material.  I take so many pictures outside in the summer, I decided to take a stroll around the Ponderosa indoors the other day.  I don't share many pics of our family room.  It really should get used more.  See the TV above in the sort of entertainment unit?  Well, that is actually a closet and the wood surround is just a thin wood front that pops off.  Ingenious, right?  Never mind that black speaker, The Husband thought surround sound would help me hear better but it actually makes me jump out of my seat.  Loud booms are amplified so loudly it sounds like a plane has crashed into our house!! lol!



This is the opposite side of the room, the sofa facing the entertainment unit.  Very comfy and laid back. A perfect place for napping.  The windows look out into the shady backyard and in the summer it feels like you are in a cozy birds nest.  So, do you have any rooms to share that maybe you don't use a lot but have some neat features?



I posted this on Instagram (I sometimes can't remember what I put on my blog and what I've posted on IG).  I thought this was so funny--I see it all the time.  I spend my evenings in the den working on my laptop, maybe watching TV or reading.  After dinner is cleaned up and I'm all cleaned up (as in face washed and clean p.j.'s on), I head in here with the dogs trailing behind.  They each have a chair and a little throw.  While I'm fiddling with my bedtime stuff and looking for my slippers, I see Milo patiently waiting.  It's the winding down of the day for him, too.  Last week I came out of the bedroom with my phone in hand and was able to capture a picture.  This sums up the idea of a faithful dog.  Their lives are based on habit.  They know what we should be doing when we don't even know!  



I was reading a magazine and I can't remember which one, but it was extolling the virtues of turnips.  My experience with turnips is adding them to soups and stews.  That's it.  They are somewhat tasteless and I remember some of our friends at the lake including slices of them as part of veggie trays to dip into...well, a dip.  This however,  is a cool recipe...very quick.  It has a great, subtle flavor that may have you and your family/guests thinking they are eating rather different but better french fries.  You will thank me once you've made it.  Truly.

Turnip French Fries

2 large turnips 
2 tablespoons of canola oil
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
1 T cayenne pepper
1 T paprika
1 t nutmeg

Peel and slice the turnips in quarters, then slice into medium to thin pieces, much like 'steak fries'.  See picture above.  Place them in a bowl with the remaining ingredients and give it all a good toss.  Spread evenly on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake at 425 degrees for 1/2 hour, flipping halfway.  Season with salt before serving if you wish.


I know many of you are fans of the late Gladys Taber.  I had heard a bit about her here and there, her love of simple life.  A life in a sweet country cottage surrounded by land, her gardens, her pups and a love of recording her days and years.

I finally asked my friend Dewena, where do I start?  The woman wrote over 50 books before she passed away at eighty.  Stillmeadow Seasons is what she recommended and I received it the other day from Amazon and I simply can't put it down.  I've never been so caught up in descriptive writing like this---in fact I usually prefer a lot less description and have a  "get right to the point" penchant.  Not this time.  I left the book on the table near my reading chair and The Husband picked it up.  It's a used 1st edition and he adores anything with a bit of history.  So thank you Dewena! :)  I can't wait to get back to it.  Please leave something in your comments as to how you might know of Gladys Taber and her books.  Which have you read and could recommend?

As a little inspiration and something I can surely identify with at this time in my life and with a birthday tomorrow, this is the beginning of a paragraph I ironically came across today in this book by Gladys Taber.

"I do not actually feel a year older on my birthday, now coming up on the clock face of time.  I only feel a sense of the value of the moments, hours, and days that are yet mine, and now and then a deep and passionate wish to do as well by them as is in me"

                     Gladys Taber

A Happy Week to all!!

Jane x

***  Well, the Husbands persistence in going out on this miserable rainy night to celebrate my birthday had an underlying motive...



Clockwise:  Elsie, Kevin, Mary Clare, Jeff, The Husband, Emily, Tom, Abby & Moi.  Yay!  And Elsie is now walking like a champ.  Her 1st birthday party is Saturday and I will fill you in on all of the details. :)

62 comments:

Joy@aVintageGreen said...

Happy Birthday Jane. Very nice Family surprise. Your posts was very restful today, and I loved the small quote you included from the book you are reading.
Joy

Mary said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY sweet Jane.
So glad A got you out of your jammies and into the restaurant for the SURPRISE!!!!!! Looks like a fun time had by all to celebrate your special day dear.

Have a wonderful day tomorrow - and Many Happy Returns!!
Love from us both OXOXOXO

20 North Ora said...

Happy Birthday sweet friend! Sounds like you had a good dinner with family. That makes it very special. Am going to try the cauliflower soup and the turnip fries. They both sound really good,

Judy

Stacey said...

Oh Jane. It surprises me so much that you say you prefer less description and you skip to the point. Here's why, "it feels sort of cozy hearing the rain on the roof, the distant thunder and trying to see out of the rain spattered windows." Just read that wonderfully descriptive sentence written by you, my friend. I've told Carol at Art & Sand that she should write a cottage book and now I'm telling you, you should write some kind of book too. You've got beautiful language in you!

Pinned both of your recipes. I grew up eating stewed turnips and love them so we will definitely be trying these. Cauliflower anything makes me happy too.

Stay warm and enjoy your birthday. :)

Sarah said...

Happy Birthday, Jane! Hope your have a great week. Keep celebrating.

Shirley said...

Happy Happy birthday Jane, So glad that you celebrated with family. Your grand daughter is so adorable. Where did the year go? Fast. Your soup sounds good. I would like to try it without the milk. I have a problem with milk. Sometimes I can get away with a little, but I would just as soon not risk it. Hubby's birthday was today. I took him a piece of chocolate pie for his. Enjoy your day tomorrow. We have rain and the wind in our area. We missed the snow last night, but don't know about tonight. Take care. Hugs and Prayers from Your Missouri Friend Shirley

Dewena said...

Happy Birthday, dear Jane!

I'm so happy that you love Stillmeadow Seasons! Didn't I tell you that you and Gladys would be soul sisters? You both remind me of each other in the way you observe the life around you and I'm delighted that you are now formally introduced to her. Just think of all the Taber treasure trove ahead of you to read!

I do often feel that I'm dipping into a kindred spirit of Glady's here and today's post is a good example of it. She wrote simply of her rooms at Stillmeadow and untold numbers of readers loved it with a passion. I think we all love a look and read into the everyday life of our blog friends and you do that so well. And your love and understanding of your dogs strike such a chord with me.

And now my own Milo is pacing the floor wanting me to close this laptop and tuck his blanket around him and his brother Otis in their nests. So goodnight, have a lovely celebration tomorrow.

Dewena

Judy at GoldCountryCottage said...

Happy Birthday, Jane. Aren't you glad you went to dinner! I will absolutely make the cauliflower soup. Love cauliflower and the story goes that the original daughter that lived in our Cottage loved cauliflower and broccoli and you could smell it from a mile away when she cooked, so everytime we have it I feel it is in honor of Lizzie Garland. I love the 'thought' of Gladys Tabor and read her "The Book of Still Meadow" quite some time ago. I am about ready to re-read it and think I will order the one you have. Kai always gets two Cherrios before he goes to bed and tonight I guess I fooled around too long, so he had to come and get me! They are just wonderful and so cute..Have a great week..Judy

Karen thisoldhouse2.com said...

Well now you've got me interested in looking up Gladys Taber. I need a new read - and something honest and simple and true and heartwarming is what I want.

Two of our dogs sleep with us at night - one on the bed and one in his own bed. They start looking at us when it's getting late and they think we should be in bed... waiting for the motion that means we are headed over there to the bedroom.

Anonymous said...

Happy Happy Birthday dear Jane! I saw the turnips on your instagram feed and just loved the idea! I will most definately be giving them a try. I also enjoy cauliflower soups. They are so low cal and with just the right amount of flavor, you can have yourself a great chowder. Milo is so cute by the door...he's ready for sleepy time! My dog does that too...he'll look at me and bark and it's as though I hear him saying "what are you doing still on the couch? It's bed time!" I hope you had a wonderful evening out with the family. It sure looks like you did! Again happy birthday friend xoxo

Barbara F. said...

Happy, happy birthday! What a nice surprise your hubby planned! Love the recipes, and the very first time I ever ate a turnip it was fried. It was at a catering venue, many years ago. I believe the slices were breaded. But this recipe sounds really good and healthier. Have a wonderful day today. Hugs,

Maria Elena said...

Hi, Jane! First, happy birthday! Looks like you had a wonderful family time! Love, love your family room. What a pretty and cozy spot. Thank you for sharing the soup recipe. It sounds delicious. It made me smile reading about your grandbaby turning one. Our little guy will also be one next month and he just started walking this past weekend. We are in so much trouble! LOL Take care, xxx Maria

Theresa said...

Well, Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday dear Jane, Happy Birthday to you:) Love seeing your beautiful home! LOVE, LOVE the built in TV unit! OH MY! Fresh shower and back in PJs, what a wonderful way to spend a day! You and I would make a great pair to hang out! Have a blessed day dear friend, CELEBRATE! HUGS!

Vee said...

Happy Birthday, Jane! Your description of a rainy day sounds so cozy. If you start writing like Gladys Taber, we'll know what happened to you. I have read so many comments about her writing and have yet to read her work. I know that I would love it. You must read Susan Branch's posts about her, if you haven't already.

Susie said...

Happy Birthday Blondie girl...today would have been my mom's birthday...so I will never forget yours. :):) I will come back later to read your post, I just wanted to send you love and good wishes. Bless your heart, xoxo,Susie

Mereknits said...

Happy, Happy Birthday Jane!!! Wishing you a wonderful year. I am all about staying home when I can, I drive so much for work I just want to be home. With my poor hearing I can't stand surround sound, the sound bounces all over the room and I can't find it. I also hate loud noises, which totally confuses my family as I can't hear!
Hugs,
Meredith

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

Your soup sounds wonderful. Happy Birthday!!

Marigene said...

Happy birthday, Jane! The turnip fries sound interesting that I am going to give them a try.
Have a great week.

Vel Criste said...

Happy, happy birthday dear Jane! Glad you got to celebrate with hubs solo and with the whole clan! You have a lot of blessings already as we can see in your family photo, so I wish you good health and your lake house to be DONE! LOL! Have a great one! Hugs to you!

Row homes and Cobblestones said...

Happy Birthday Jane! You share the same birth month as my husband. I too loving listening to the hypnotic gentle sound of rain, especially while laying in bed as it hits upon the skylights. But I do not enjoy thunderstorms and lightening. We have a fun New Orleans Cajun restaurant in the city we are regulars at. They have an appetizer of cornmeal crusted Oysters served on top of creamy Pernod Spinach and spicy tomatoe jam and dotted on top is a onion alioli. I skip the bacon in the dish and oftentimes order this as my meal. The restaurant has the feel of New Orleans and is small with half bar, half restaurant, all tall bar stools for seating. It's name is Catahoula. Sweet hubs to plan a BD party with your family at the Mexican restaurant,
I think your family room has a relaxing softness to it, add more Grey accessories for it will add interest and contrast. The throw is pretty.
Your Cream of Cauliflower soup looks tasty, I'll try it with Turkey bacon.
Stay well, be happy and wear your Birthday hat all month.
xoxo,
Vera

Cheryl @ TFD said...

Happy Birthday, Jane! You have a beautiful room for tv viewing or reading! I have been a big fan of Gladys Taber for many years and have several of her books. I can't name a favorite for I love them all, but the Stillmeadow books are at the top of the list. Susan Branch is also a Gladys Taber fan and has written much about her including a post with photos of when got to visit Stillmeadow which is owned now by Gladys' granddaughter.
The cauliflower soup sounds very good and I'll have to try it soon.
Have a great birthday week!

Pondside said...

Happy Birthday, Jane!! It sounds like you had a few good celebrations, and the family photo is really nice to see.
I like your 'ordinary and everyday' posts. I will try the turnip fries - something I can hardly imagine, but you haven't steered me wrong yet!

Courtney@Golden Boys and Me said...

Happy Birthday, Jane! I think it is great that you have celebrated in so many ways. Definitely going to try that cauliflower soup. Gladys Taber is a new name to me but I think I must learn more about her based on your recommendation. Enjoy your special day.

Kim said...

Happy Birthday, Jane!! I hope it was a great day. Your cooking always makes my mouth water. One of these days I need to show the hubs your blog. He's the adventurous cook in the family. He loves giving new things a try.

Susie said...

Blondie, I loved the family picture. You all look great. How sweet the baby is walking. OMG...put everything out of reach. LOL. I know what you are saying about posting on our blogs...finding pictures...cause lets' face it.....it's nice see what people are talking about some times. When you said descriptive writings...my gosh , I read some Ann Tyler books and she is way beyond wordy. Awwkkk, Some of her books have been made into movies. Blessings to you sweet girl, hope your birthday is filled with love. xoxo,Susie

DUTA said...

Happy Birthday and many happy returns of the Day1
I do agree with you that 1. eating out is tempting for several reasons. 2. a good soup with bread can be a very satisfying winter meal.

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

I hope you have a lovely birthday, and a wonderful year ahead.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Jane, hope it was wonderful. It is 2/3 here in Connecticut and we have that crappy rainy, windy weather here today. Your soup sounds wonderful for a day like this. I will make it after I shop tomorrow. Thanks for sharing.

Doreen@foxdenrd said...

Happy Birthday my friend!

Your TV room is so appealing. I'd spend most of my time there too!

I'm with you about the fast food places. I have to be pretty desperate to go to one. Of course, you're a great cook which makes it even harder to eat anywhere that isn't quite up to par ;).

Glad you had a great day!!

XXX

Val said...

Happy birthday, Jane How great to get the whole family together for it--or for YOU, I should say. :) ♥

Chris K in Wisconsin said...

Happy Happy Birthday! May this next trip around the sun be the best one ever!!
The soup sounds delicious!! We had roasted cauliflower last night. I love cauliflower everything.
Looks like a wonderful evening w/ the fam. What a special evening.
Gladys Taber....... what more can one say? So many of her sentences leave such an impression upon me! I try to read her Stillmeadow Sampler each year following the seasons as she writes them in the book. Each time I read it I find more and more things I love! I have highlighted, underlined, and marked pages, and each time I read it again I add more favorites.
I love your blog!!

Brenda Pruitt said...

What a sweetheart you are married to, my friend!
Brenda

Jemma@athomewithjemma said...

Jane,
Isn't cooking such a beautiful and peaceful art. One that nourishes the soul and feeds those that we love. We do not eat fast food or even dine out that out much. Once a week for us, and that is for our traditional Tex-Mex treat on our date night.
Thank you for sharing these recipes, they sound truly delicious.
Wishing you a very wonderful year ahead-good times, good health, joy, laughter and much love.
xx
Jemma

Kathleen said...

Happy, Happy, Jane!

Gladys Taber wrote a column (late 50's to late 60's) for Family Circle magazine entitled "Butternut Wisdom."
I have been reading and re-reading her work for at least thirty years. Her cookbook is wonderful!
Glad you discovered her!

Bluebird49 said...

Oh, Jane! How wonderful for your hubby to get you out to celebrate in a surprise dinner with your family there! That is very COOL of him, and so war of him at the same time. Your family is wonderful-looking and I'm so glad you all could get together for you special day! All of you look great of course It must me so great to have so many restaurants near you. We are so very limited, and have to drive at least an hour to go anywhere that isn't some sort of chain thing that is far from, well, tasteful! ha!
(When I texted you I hadn't even been on the computer so I hadn't seen your post--so it was a special surprise to know I had hit it pretty much on the mark. For some reason I though it was around the 3rd or 4th--since I can remember very little anymore, I'm glad I did manage to nail it.)

I loved this post.(Again.) I don't know if you meant to do it, but everything looked so dreamily light and so well put together--which is just what I'd expect from you! From the creamy soup to the turnip fries, and the family room with the beautiful, light tones--which looked like a wonderful place to cuddle up and read a book, or have tea with a friend and look out the window at the birds. And I thought the idea of the entertainment center built into a a closet--was a great idea and what a space saver!! Talk about using space in a very interesting and good way. I love it.
And even the Gladys Tabor book had a light cover, too. It was all just right--and I have an idea you meant it to be. You have such a good eye. I can't wait to see how the Lake house will be decorated--and I'd love to see more glimpses of your home, too.
My mother read a lot of Gladys Tabor when I was still living at home, but I never even picked one up, so please let me know how you like them. She was a great fan of hers. While I was more a lover of biographies and mystery books, she loved Jan Karon, Belva Plain, and anything about the Amish people. There was a series of them that she just simply could not miss when they came out! She absolutely loved the library and we were lucky to have such a nice one in our little town. I know I got my love of books a working crossword puzzles from her from her.
It was great to be able to message you tonight, and wish you a Happy Birthday. I look forward to doing that much more, my friend.
Trudy xx
p.s. Sorry for the long comment!

Lisa @ Texas Decor said...

What a wonderful surprise to have your family there to celebrate with you! Happy Birthday! I'm always amazed at how faithful our pets are. They really do thrive on our routines. Would you believe I've never had a turnip? Can't wait to hear about Elsie's party!

jp@A Green Ridge said...

Happy Belated Birthday first of all...now for those turnip fries...YUM!!!!...:)JP

Joyce F said...

Happy Belated Birthday! The turnip fries sound interesting.

I have the majority of Gladys Taber's books and I don't think you can go wrong reading any of them. I think I would say I like the Stillmeadow ones the best, but the Cape Cod ones are great too.

Linda said...

Hi there birthday girl! 🎈🎈🎈🎈
Love your tv room....we call it Family room up here....very nice!
Great looking family you have there....
I see the wee munchkin made it to the party too!
Have a great weekend...
Cheers!
Linda :o)

Cindy @ Dwellings-The Heart of Your Home said...

Happy Birthday!!! So smart turning the closet into an entertainment center, looks great! Two great recipes, thanks for sharing!
Blessings,
Cindy

Stonecropsister said...

Hi Jane,
first of all happy birthday. my younger daughter Kyra shares your birth day. So a week or two ago, when i was reading one of your posts, you mentioned your date of birth, and I thought to myself, that's an easy one to remember! I climbed into bed last night and opened your post, all ready to wish you a timely HB, when I had a knock at the bedroom door, the birthday girl wanting to visit, which hasn't happened in a while. So that's why i am late in wishing you, one of the nicest most genuine of persons I have met on my blogging journey, a wonderful year ahead. I wish for you continued joy in experiencing life with your children and their children. And great healthy this year, pain-free. And amazing travel adventures (Vancouver in the spring perhaps?!). And overflowing creativity in your garden, your writing, your decorating, your cooking. Your blog just simply makes me feel better about life. xx Nancy

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Hi Jane, Happy belated birthday! I love the closet turned into an entertainment center and your family room is lovely.

Scribbler said...

Happy Birthday! What a fun surprise, finding your family waiting for you at the restaurant. I am going to have to try those turnip "fries." I like sweet fresh turnips, and I have seen them served mashed, like potatoes, but this looks like a great alternative. My mother used to chop them up and cook them with the greens and a ham hock. That's good too, if you are a Southerner who likes greens like I do. The soup looks wonderful, and I think I might try that. If it has bacon, it has to be good.

Melanie said...

I hope you had a wonderful celebration of your birthday at the mexican restaurant! I love mexican food; one of my faves. Love the faux built-in in your family room. Where did you get the wood surround to make it look like a built-in? I've never seen anything like that before - ingenious! Milo is so cute how he's waiting for you. :-) I'm familiar with Gladys Taber but I don't think I have any of her books. Or, maybe I do and I just don't remember! lol Have a great weekend, Jane.

Benita said...

Happy Belated Birthday sweet friend! I do hope you had a most wonderful time....the hubster sounds like he is a great guy!! I love your home...I know you say it is tiny, but Jane, it is so adorable and I love the way you have decorated it. I do believe we have the same furniture in our family rooms! I never show photos of ours either and I really don't know why...LOL LOVE seeing the photos of you and your family! I'm so looking forward to seeing photos of the birthday party this weekend...1 year old!!! So much fun!! Hugs sweet friend and I hope y'all have a wonderful time!!

Town and Country Gals said...

Jane,
your family room looks very cozy, just what's needed on a cold winter night! What a sweet hubby to throw you a special party, looks like you had a wonderful time! Happy belated birthday! Mexican food is my all time favorite! what a sweet dog, waiting so patiently for you, adorable photo! Elsie is the cutest little thing getting so big! Sarah turned 1 Dec. 8th, she started walking around 10 mos and is now running, especially after she snatches something from her big sister. They are so much fun, I know you're loving it!
Rebecca

White Lace and Promises said...

Your home is beautiful. What a nice birthday. I'm all about a rainy day and a good book and a few magazines.

Kit said...

A very Happy Birthday my friend! How wonderful that everyone joined you in wishing you well. :) I love love Gladys Taber and found her by accident and have over 16 of her books. I would recommend Stillmeadow Sampler and The Best of Stillmeadow. I read my books over and over depending on the month and holiday. They soothe my soul. :) Have a great weekend! Kit

Linda @ Life and Linda said...

Happy belated birthday Jane. It was great to see the whole family celebrating your day. We need more rain, however we have been getting quite a bit. Winters can be dreary. I am so cold most of the time. Tex Mex sounds perfect to me. Enjoy the weekend. XO

Anonymous said...

Hi Janie! Hope your birthday celebration was wonderful! Love the last snap of the family! Your home looks so pretty - always. Now, that cauliflower soup sounds wonderful and I've copied it and will be making it pretty soon! Thanks for the recipe. Hope all is well in your world.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Jacqueline said...

Dear Jane, Happy Happy Birthday! Your family is beautiful and hubby is so sweet to want to celebrate several times.
I am swooning over the soup too and took a picture with my phone so I would remember to get the ingredients.
I had to laugh at what you said about posting about the snowplow going down the street! Yes, not much of interest during these months, unless you get away!

My Little Home and Garden said...

Happy Birthday, Jane. I think your soup recipe sounds delicious. There is something so satisfying about a hot bowl of homemade soup on a winter day.

Karen

deb @ frugal little bungalow said...

happy birthday Jane : ) I know of Gladys from my mom who is a great fan ...I've read a few though I don't recall which ones at the moment. I think I have Stillmeadow Sampler upstairs. Another similar writer if you find any of her books online is Jean Hersey.

Celestina Marie said...

Hi Jane and Happy Birthday!!! Love this post!! The pic of your family is special. I say celebrate the whole month. My day is the 28th and I think I'll do just that. LOL
The soup recipe looks so good. Thank you for sharing. Love your home and the cozy style.
You are an inspiration always my friend. Thanks for stopping by and your sweet visit too.
Have a great rest of the weekend. xo

Sonia said...

Happy Birthday Jane...I love cajun food especially gumbo and crawfish ettoufee. The cauliflower soup sounds good especially on a cold day. I've never heard of turnip fries though, don't think I could get anyone to try them at my house. What a great family picture. Hope it stops raining!

bj said...

ahhh, how fun for your birthday....and I LUV Mexican food of most any kind. :)
HAPPIEST BIRTHDAY...
So nice to hear from you...thanks for coming over. xoxo
That soup and those fries sound amazing...we love soups and stews this time of year.
Your house is so pretty...love that tv closet...:)
xo

Ricki Treleaven said...

Happy Birthday, Jane! So I see you had a little surprise party! ;P

I love your family room. It is so cozy and pretty. Love the colors!

The cauliflower soup recipe sounds divine. We made a cauliflower "mac and cheese" and it was so yummy! Thanks for posting the recipe. I'll try it this week!

xo,m
RJ

Rue said...

Happy Birthday, my sweet friend! I'm so glad you had a good celebration. It was awfully sweet of your family to do that for you.

I love that picture of your fur baby waiting for you. My dogs do the same thing :)

Gladys Taber... I know of her because of Dewena as well, but I've yet to buy one of her books. I think it's time :)

hugs and love to you,
rue

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

A very happy (belated) birthday wish for you! :) Sounds look a good one from your recent posts. I like the Gladys Taber quote and the book you've mentioned sounds like an interesting read. Furbabies are the loveliest of creatures. So loving and loyal. Have a good week. Tammy

Karen (Back Road Journal) said...

I've gotten behind with my reading…sorry I missed your birthday. A belated wish for many more healthy and happy ones.

Kathleen Grace said...

Happy (belated) birthday! It looks like you had a wonderful family filled party at the restaurant! I have had a hard time thinking of things to blog about too. Winter, the most boring time of the year. Lol The cauliflower soup recipe is one I will try, and I HAVE to try the turnip fries. I have heard of Gladys Taber, but I haven't yet read any of her works. The quote you shared is so beautiful, I am determined to seek out some of her books now. I don't know how I missed her for so long :)

An Oasis in the Desert said...

I'm so sorry I missed your birthday, Jane. I was too busy selfishly celebrating my birthday! My day is the 3rd, what is yours? How nice that you had your whole family together to help you celebrate.

Warm hugs,
Carol