Thursday, September 10, 2009

CLOCHE PARTY & PINK SATURDAY!!!

Oh happy day!! The Cloche Party has finally arrived!! I haven't been to this many parties since my wild twenties!! Oh, the fun I had with my girlfriends. We had a whole slew of bars we haunted; The Mug, Gonzo's and my favorite, P.O.E., which stood for Port Of Entry. It sat on the grand St. Charles River in Illinois, and we had the greatest times there. I once took a dare to do cartwheels down the dock, and oh did I!! Didn't land in the water, but should have. I sprained my ankle and now, 100 years later, it is weak, gives out and I have arthritis in it. Oh, the good 'ol days! But this is a cloche party and I believe I will behave myself!

Above is a gift from friends that came to visit us at the Lakehouse a few weeks ago. Thank you Carol & TJ!! It looks like a huge wineglass. Whoa...Partaaaay! No, it was empty and ironically, right on the bar that it is sitting on, I had a box of faux fruit from Target, just looking for a container. As our hostess Marty advised, we could use all types of vessels in this party, therefore I present, 'The Humongous Wineglass With Fruit'!!



I missed the last Cloche Party as I didn't have a clue what a cloche was. I caught on a bit after visiting some of the party goers. I loved all the pretty arrangements under glass and was determined I would make a darn good one!! On my trips to little resort towns in Michigan, with all sorts of shops and boutiques, I searched and searched for cloches. No one knew what I was talking about and I certainly wasn't articulating it well. Finally, I was in a little shop that sold gourmet food. And there it was. A beautiful white pedestal with a gorgeous dome. Inside was a jar of gourmet peach preserves. I talked the owner into selling me the whole set up. She thought I was nuts. I didn't dare explain the cloches or the party. She seemed glad to get rid of me.

Now, I thought I got the whole concept of the cloche and how you filled it with anything you wanted to your hearts content. But after that, I was lost. What do I fill it with?? Where do I get the stuff. I am up in Michigan with nothing but lakes and woods and corn fields...and then a light bulb went off in my blonde head and I hopped into my car and drove to our one horse downtown area and burst into Village Floral, where Jody stood behind the counter, her angel wings gently blowing in the breeze of the ceiling fan. She knew. Bring it in, she said. I ran back out to my car and zipped back in holding my Gourmet Peach Preserve Cloche close to my chest. I must have looked like a crazed woman. Jody gently took it from my sweaty hands and said, "I will take care of this.". Spoken like a true angel. I headed for the door and turned when I heard Jody ask, "But what is it?"



The following day, promptly at three 'o clock, I returned to Village Floral. And there Jody stood with my beautiful cloche and a bill for $20.00. My eyes lit up. It was magical, as you can see. Two little brown birds and all sorts of greenery and moss. Jody brushed her wings back with her manicured fingers that had delicately created this little domed wonderland. She patiently explained to me that she placed a piece of floral foam on a reversed piece of duct tape and attached it to the bottom of the cloche. This way, nothing is glued down and I can change out the cloche any way I want. Jody is one sharp angel. Then she said, "Shhh...come with me.", and she led me back through the aisles of silk floral arrangements, past the cool refrigerators filled with gorgeous roses, carnations and daisies. Back to where she opened a secret door. And in the dimness of the room, I saw shelves of faux silk flowers and grasses, tiny rose buds and dainty baby's breath. It was a fever dream of florals! She took a plastic bag and filled it with tiny flowers with stems. She added moss and to my astonishment, reindeer moss, which I had only heard of in a dream (or from a blogger). She added tiny birds and nests and some dried flowers. She gave me the bag and quietly said, "Do what you will with this. You are on your own. And please don't make a fool of yourself at the party." And then with a swoosh of her angel wings, she was gone.



I fiddled. I played. I laughed hysterically and ripped everything apart and started over. Many times. Finally...




Nope. This was a practice one! I found the vessel at our Farm market.




Cute bird though.







And finally. My finished cloche. Vessel also bought from the Farm Market. Inside is an avocado surrounded by different mosses and various faux and dried flowers. It sits on the hearth of the stone fireplace at the Lakehouse. Jody's cloche sits on my harvest table.







I think I did good.








Before I met my angel, Jody, I thought cloches and apothecary jars were just for the mundane. But I was touched by an angel. No, that's not original...I was touched by the ladies of Blogland who forced...er, inspired me to create, to learn to create, and to share. Thank you ladies. Thank you Jody!!! :-)
And in the spirit of Pink Saturday, I am going to lie down on my lounger with my pink pillow and then I am going to visit our hosts, respectively, Marty, who so selflessly planned this party, and Beverly, who has been the gracious hostess of Pink Saturday since forever. Visit these ladies and see the LONG list of participants. Visit these ladies and friends, who worked so hard to create a great post for us!!
xoxo
Jane



















60 comments:

bj said...

These are just PERFECT...I don't have one...well, one UGLY one that I should have added to your Ugly Rooster thing!! I am wondering, btw, who won that??
Your cloches are just beautiful!
xo bj

Blondie's Journal said...

You did fine, BJ. As you can see from my post, I bumbled my way through it and can only hope I pass inspection!

Sue of Sullivan & Murphy won. (I have a post before the cloche post that you can look at) I also had a runner up for the ones that did not want to be in the giveaway and Brenda from A Cozy House won!! This was fun but I am glad it is over! lol!! :-)

xoxo
Jane

Anonymous said...

Hi Jane! Oh, everything is so lovely! I love how you've set the cloche in that pretty pot! You've made beauty!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia :)

Lori E said...

Well done Blondie. I wish I was there for the cartwheels. I never could do one. I still probably would have landed in the water.
I only have apothecary jars but I didn't think anyone wanted to see my Q-tips, make up remover pads and bar soap.

Stacey said...

Girl, I would say that you mastered the art of the cloche! Way to go. :) I enjoyed the story and the details....angel wings blowing in the wind.

Debra@CommonGround said...

I love your saga of the your introduction to the cloche. You are trying new and creative things, as we all are. Isn't it wonderful how we can learn from one another? New people and new ideas...I love it!
Your birds are precious and you did a fantastic job.
Debra

Decor To Adore said...

Your arrangements are so pretty. I love what you have done for the cloche party! Your sweet little birds are such great accents.

Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

Just wonderful Jane...wow Jody did an awesome job on that cloche's and girl before my RMS days I never heard of a cloche and now I have many and hunted for each one of them..ha ha!! Hope you have a great weekend my friend....Hugs and smiles Gl♥ria

xinex said...

These are so pretty, Janie. I love the bases of your cloches too especially the blue one. You are so funny and I really enjoyed your stories...Christine

RachelD said...

What a fun post!! I'm new to the party thing, as well, and have participated only one time.

This was just a lovely story, and I'm so glad to hear you speak of your FlowerAngel.

Mine's more the vegetable sort, but she's quite a friend. And your creations are LOVELY!

SmilingSally said...

LOL You are too funny. I think your angel does Heavenly work, and you sure caught on fast.

susan said...

Oh!-- I wish I'd been with you on the dock! You did a fine job!I love the bowl--You know I love blue! Marty has educated us all!

Kammy said...

Hiya Jane !
I love your cloches ! That one with the avacado is TERRIFIC !
You are correct with the inspiration we feed on each other -
Thanks for visiting me during/after my surgery - you are super sweet !!!! I can hardly wait to join you for "another crazy party", LOL !
Hugs ~ Kammy

www.smallhomeinthecountry.blogspot.com

CJ said...

I am still not sure what a cloche is (and how it is pronounced..sheepish)
Or what is a cloche party. But the pictures are beautiful. Your home is beautiful too :)

♥ Chaitra

Country Wings in Phoenix said...

Oh My Gosh!
I so love your cloches. You did GREAT sweet thing. Just great. I love the little birds. They just make it look so magical.

I am impressed that you did cartwheels you daredevil you. I would be terrified of falling right off into the water. Thanks for sharing sweetie. I loved your little story. I can just picture Angel Jody. Please stop by and let me share with you. Country hugs, Sherry

Barb said...

Hi Jane, ooooooo, they are all lovely....just so perfect for making one smile!!!

Sending you an email in a minute. My email address is listed at the bottom of my profile.

Hugs, Barb :-)

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh, I love, love, love all of your cloches and the gorgeous pedestals they sit on. You did such a fabulous job with your arrangements, and the little bird and nest look wonderful to me. You have such beautiful containers. What a great idea for all the coffee. This is all too wonderful. I love all the creativity and inspiration. Thank you so much for joining the party, I really appreciate it. Hugs, Marty

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

Good morning my dear Blondie,
I love the party hardy in your 20's thing! Me too! I bet we would have had a blast together! You've done Marty proud, your cloches are gorgeous! They are tough little buggers to figure out aren't they! Hugs, Cindy

Knitty said...

You did a great job! Love your descriptions of the store owner who seemed happy to be rid of you and the wise florist who knew you would be playing and rearranging. :)

Lou Cinda @ Tattered Hydrangeas said...

Girl you did GREAT!! LOVE them ALL!! You are so creative!!! Love the bird and the nests!!

Lou Cinda

Moore Minutes said...

Ohhh, I want the 2nd one on the creamy white pedestal! That is so beautiful.

Sharing with Sherri said...

Hi June,

Your cloche's are so pretty and sweet...I love the the little one on the white pedestal with the darling swan and bouquet of daisys beside it!

Nice job!
Sherri:)

Kat said...

These are so pretty! I love the avocado - what a great idea! Isn't is fun what social butterflies we've all become since entering blogland. And girlie, I would have loved to have joined you in the dock cartwheel caper! Somedays I feel like doing them still, but there is no way these bones are voluntarily going feet to the sky again lol. Have a wonderful weekend. Kathy

Glenda/MidSouth said...

How pretty - love the birds. You did good. :)

Ana said...

Hi Jane,
I really enjoyed your cloche post...very cute. You did a great job with your cloche. It looks beautiful. Congrats! Have a wonderful weekend.

Smiles,
♥Ana~A Petite Cottage

kate said...

love the blue and white cloches
kate

Blue Creek Home said...

I am cracking up at your post! You've gotta be tired after all that prep for the party!! You knocked it out of the park, though!
Rhonda

Brenda Pruitt said...

You did good, girl! I think that one with the white base is about the prettiest thing I've ever seen. I'm in love with that base. Jody did so well I think I'd send her all my business! And you, sweet girl, with your creative talents, have achieved cloche grandness!
Brenda

Betsy Brock said...

I think you did great, too! And don't you just love those the tea in those mesh tripod teabags from Lipton? Yum!

Linda (Nina's Nest) said...

Well, you did a great job on those choches! And I would love to have seen the shells that you mentioned on the shredded paper. That sounds great - don't 'ya love the unexpected?! Linda @Nina's Nest

Anonymous said...

Oh Jane! I think you've got it girl! Your cloche is gorgeous and I love the base! And would you believe I was the cartwheel queen as a young one annnnnnd have a weak ankle to boot because of it. LOL...kindred spirits! xo Lynn

Anonymous said...

Janie you did a wonderful job. I love how you plunge head first into things just like I do. I just love that farm market base, it looks really old. I am also admiring that chaise with the pink pillow and the lovely hibiscus. The only thing missing is you with a lovely chilled glass of Pinot Grigio. Think so?

XOSue

Lynne (lynnesgiftsfromtheheart) said...

Your cloches are beautiful. I love the story that goes with them. I think everyone needs and has an angel... you are so fortunate to know yours...Congrats to the winner of the Ugly Rooser..hugs ~lynne~

Anonymous said...

I admit-- I had to go look up the definition of cloche. :) What fun you had! And I had fun reading about your creative cloching-- even if I did make up the word. :) Thanks for sharing your beautiful creation.
hugs,
CurtissAnn

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

I love what you've done! And the story too. I only have one cloche and I've enjoyed changing it for the season - I got it right before Easter last year - so it hasn't been decorated for Fall or Winter ...yet -- Bet we'll have some more "parties" along the way -- that huge wine glas is some kind of cool!

Unknown said...

Hi,
Oh these are all so lovely. I just got back from a Tim Holz class and I am thrilled with all the inspiration I came home with, I just stopped by to see your creations. Your cloches are beautiful, especially the last one. I love them all.

Karen

Yellow Rose Arbor said...

I think you did a great job! Welcome to the ccc - crazy cloche club! I guess that should be "crazy ABOUT cloche club!"

Is that an avocado or an artichoke?

You asked about shells - do you have a Michael's or Dollar Tree near you? I have seen shells there (of course I live in FL!)

Enjoyed your story!

Katherine

Alicia said...

Hi Blondie,
I love the little story you told about how your cloche came to be. I could almost feel the breeze off of your miracle angels wings :-)

Your cloche was lovely. Thank you so much for visiting and I will be back to read some more. You have an interesting blog.

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

Oh how cute you are! This post was so fun, reading about your cloche adventures (and you did have some adventures). All's well that ends well, and yours certainly ended well. They look so pretty. And the giant wine glass looks great too. laurie

nannykim at spindle cottage said...

Glad I was not the only one who didn't know what a cloche was...I still have no idea where to find one!! I love birds so I love the ones you shared with the birdies!

Tracy said...

Great cloches, you did REAL good! I have a planter that exactly matches the blue floral pattern in your 2 containers from the farm store.

Have a great weekend!

Barbara Jean said...

It's wonderful
Way to go girl!!

Thanks for coming by and leaving a comment.

I found my other pics and they are up on a separate post now.

blessings
Barbara jean

Oliva Ohlson said...

I really love the way you use pedestals to raise your displays!

Linda said...

Wow, that was certainly an education...I keep seeing references on the blogs about cloches but had no idea what one was...great description and I love your humour. I am here to say Happy Pink Saturday...no cloches on my blog...yet...maybe one day now that you have taught me what it is!!

Linda

Mary Bergfeld said...

Everything is lovely. That final shot of the lounge chair and pillow looks welcoming. A perfect spot to rest after all your hard work. I hope you are having a wonderful day.

Denise Marie said...

great party!

Dana and Daisy said...

I COVET THY OUTDOOR LOUNGE CHAIR!

Julie Marie said...

Those are so very pretty, I love moss in with just about anything, probably because I am the Nature lover than I am... Bisous... Julie Marie PS I LOVE your sense of humor!!!

Sarah said...

I love what you've done. They are just great! And the pink pillow on the lounger....perfect! Thanks for sharing. ~ Sarah

Neabear said...

I now have a cloche that I won in a giveaway not too long ago. But I did not get my act together to join the party this time. Too busy at work and working on other projects. You did a great job with yours. Enjoyed reading your post!

Charlene said...

Oh I love the Cloche you did. And the angel wings got my attention right away. Last week I went into a shop & saw the most amazing collection of Antique Cloches I have ever seen. But, believe me they KNEW what they had. Not a one priced under $345.00. Needless to say I bought NONE! But, I do love yours. Those little brown birds are too sweet.

Speaking of birds... How is the Momma Bird doing testing her freedom now that the little chickie is a college? SMILE!!!! Love your life.
Also, I so LOVED your little summer cottage. I would love to see it. HUGS for a great week.

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

Thanks for visiting. We have more in common. I was born and raised in Michigan. I still have an aunt who lives on a lake in Michigan and I was there all last October.
Your cloches are wonderful! They are a bit addicting once you have one. Hope you come by again soon....

Melissa Miller said...

Jane you are the wittiest and most interesting writer in all of Blogland my friend. You had me hanging on every word of this sweet post. "The lady sold you the whole thing". LOL! HEHE! What a cute and funny story.

LOVE all of your gorgeous cloches.
All of them are so pretty and well decorated.

~Blessings, ~Melissa :)

xinex said...

Hi Janie, I just arrived home from Florida. Long trip and now it's unpacking, cleaning and organizing time! Anyway, thanks for the visit. I did NOT sell my house to the tenant. She is just renting it. I had to empty the house because she has her own furniture. I asked the kids to get whatever they wanted, took whatever I could in my luggage and donated the leftover to Salvation Army....Christine

Kim @ Starshine Chic said...

Love your story telling!!! I could just see the blank look on everyone's face as you tried to explain what a cloche was. Too funny! And your cloche turned out fabulous. As well as the floral angels.

Auntie sezzzzzz... said...

Your cloches are lovely and inspiring. I've never tried such, but if I do, it will be due to your inspiration.

Re: Your comment in my {*re-done, again*] blog... No comment is ever too long. I know, since I'm the *Queen of Long Comments,* myself! ,-)

And in regard to books vs. magazines... A couple of years ago, I realized I wasn't reading my mag subscriptions, so I eliminated them. I only sub to the new 'Victoria' magazine now.

But I do have great fun with my books.

And that's the name of the game, in everything... To each her/his own. If it's fun for you, then it's perfect. Etc. :-)

Gentle hugs,
'Aunt Amelia'
[Who is bleary-eyed from trying to re-size my Header pic! -giggles- Time for a nap!]

Mary said...

I crown you cloche queen just for your jovial effort......and the description thereof! You are too funny.

Hugs - Mary.

Char said...

Altho I have not been a member of the cloche party, sadly, I have no cloche's, but I have been on the lookout for some, I enjoyed your post very much. I have seen things turned into cloches that I would have never dreamed of. You have some wonderful pieces I must admit, I am very found of the one with the bird and nest, but then, I love nests....Happy Pink Saturday, Char
Please check my blog and click on the gadget to enter the giveaway that we are having from Shabbylaneshops. This will be monthly and the theme will change with the seasons, good luck

Unknown said...

You DID do a great job! With all of them!

I am so sorry to hear your bad news. I will put you on my prayer list.
~Liz

Kathleen said...

Great cloches, Jane..
And I will pray for your dad....and you..