Wednesday, January 28, 2009

THANKFUL THURSDAY: THE LITTLE THINGS

Today is Thankful Thursday hosted by Rhondi at Rose Colored Glasses . Take a peek and see who is participating and do a little visiting!
Today was one of those days where I woke up with a smile on my face. Actually it is Wednesday (I'm posting early for privacy purposes :-) and although I am thankful for today, I will still be thankful for today tomorrow (does that make sense?).
Thankfully, The Husband and I had time to spend together this morning even though we did not get up until 7:00. It was very nice of him to stay a little longer to have a little coffee and talk. I have appreciated him a tad more this week since he just arrived home from Naples Monday night. He was there for a golf tournament to benefit The Make A Wish Foundation and it went very well. As some of you may know, our son Kevin is positioned down there for the winter golf season so The Husband's trip was beneficial (and coincidental) in seeing Kevin again since we were down at Christmas. They had a really great time together when they had the chance and I am so happy for Kevin because I think outside of work he is quite lonely. But he will be back home in the spring and we might just pay him another visit over spring break. So...I missed The Husband! He was tired when I picked him up from the airport (he had to switch planes in Orlando) so he simply ate the nice stew I had made ahead of time and dropped. I didn't think I would miss him so much and although the girls were not home much and it was pretty quiet around here, it was really a longing for his company! Sometimes that feeling ebbs and flows when you have been married as long as we have but it was definitely flowing this past weekend! So we had a nice chat and it was a nice way to start the day.
The girls were both buzzing around the kitchen together at breakfast and I don't think an unkind word was said. That is par for the course (I must have golf on my mind). I think every mother wishes their children always got along but Emily and Abby are polar opposites. But they made me proud this morning and maybe surprised themselves...
After I dropped Abby off at school I snuck around to the front doors to deliver a special "secret" envelope to the office. She is going on a Kairos retreat this weekend at an "undisclosed" location (somewhere on the Illinois/Wisconsin border) and the letters are from The Husband and I which will be read at the Friendship Ceremony. She is so thrilled to be going. Many of the other senior girls (she attends an all girl school) have gone on the retreat but they are sworn to secrecy. Can you believe a teenage girl keeping a secret? Anyway, we wrote our letters last night telling Abby how special she is, how proud we are, what she means to us...I had tears in my eyes as I took a mental walk down memory lane. This is my baby, my last child to go to Kairos and soon she will leave the nest. It is such a paradox of happy and sad feelings. I will need a lot of support from you guys next fall when she leaves for college. But I skipped a little coming out of the school anticipating her hearing our letters. I can really run on and on when writing (who me?) so I know she will feel special and loved.
Today I had another reason to be thankful, the cleaning ladies were here when I got home!! I love it! Two days a month I don't have to make my own bed and you all know I love a made bed. I love these two woman. They work soooo hard to make me happy and to support their families both here and in Poland. Although we don't always understand each other (language-wise), we have a great rapport. I get a tad annoyed when they polish my dresser with windex but I still offer them coffee anyway.
Then it was off to get my hair done. Gosh I love having someone wash my hair!! I turn into mush! And I got really daring (for me anyway) and had two inches lopped off and my bangs cut. The husband will be so surprised if he doesn't mistake me for a boy first! So I was very thankful for my bravery and that it looks o.k. but I haven't tried to put it in a ponytail yet and that would be a travesty because that's my "bad hair day" disguise!!
After that I came home to a shiny clean house and put a nice roast in the oven since I had nothing to clean! And now I am just sitting here reading my favorite blogs, drinking hot cocoa and smelling that wonderful aroma! Ah, life is good. Did I mention the sun was shining today? The snow on the street has started to melt. I almost thought I would see a robin! And that I was thankful for.
So these are just a few little things I am thankful for, but they sure add up. I will definitely go to sleep with a smile on my face, the same way I woke up!!
Happy Thankful Thursday everybody!!

xoxo
Janie





10 comments:

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Janie, this is such a sweet post. It made me smile to read it. :-) I love this day when we stop and count our blessings, and I count you and your blog among mine!

Your husband and children are very blessed to have you in their lives. You're a sweetie, and that's evident from every word you type.

So glad you got to feel pampered today. You deserve it!

Happy Thankful Thursday (a wee bit early)!

XO,

Sheila :-)

Kat said...

Janie, I loved this post. I know exactly what you mean about the ebb and flow, sometimes we just need our quiet time, but it's so wonderful when you realize just how much you miss them! If you need a shoulder to cry on when baby girl goes off, feel free. It's tough, but it's also so amazing to see them blossom! Beautiful post, you do have a lot to be thankful for, as do we all! Hugs, Kathy

Lynne (lynnesgiftsfromtheheart) said...

Janie, what a beautiful post. A tribute to marriage and being a mother. I'm so glad you were abled to be pampered today.. I'm going to work that in.. just as soon as things slow down and allow it..lol.. hugs ~lynne~

SmilingSally said...

Hair done AND a house clean. WOW!

Bo said...

Hi there...thanks for visiting my blog & your nice comments. I enjoyed reading about your thankful day...oh my, windex on the dresser!...but sounds like the ladies try...I'll be back to visit again...I'm adding you to my blog list. ;-) Bo

April said...

Janie~
This was such an wonderful post and it really touched my heart...particularly the part about your daughter leaving for college next fall. I am right there with you...my oldest daughter, Brittany, will graduate in May of next year. I get so choked up everytime I think about it! How I will survive sending her off into the great big world will be nothing short of a miracle! I love her so much and I realize that life as I now know it will never, ever be the same, again. So, I completely understand what you're going through...all too well!

I know what you mean, also, about missing your husband when he's on the road. Mine travels about 3-4 nights of every week and I'm always so glad to have him come home.

Thank you for sharing all that you have to be thankful for and for opening your heart! Have an awesome day!

Anonymous said...

Hi Janie, Next to cleaning lady day, having my hair washed at the hairdresser's is probably my most favorite thing. I just love it and wish she could do it for thirty minutes. But what she does do if she doesn't have a customer waiting is play with my hair as she dries it. I could just fall asleep right there in the chair. xo Lynn
P.S. I am coming over for dinner. It smells to good! Beautiful post you wrote.

vintage girl at heart said...

Ceaning ladies... what a treat!!! And pampering too... you are Blessed!!!
Have a fabulous weekend!!

Anonymous said...

What a wealth to be thankful for! It's so fun to read posts like this. :) I hope you have an especially wonderful weekend!
Jen

Ms. Tee said...

I really enjoyed reading all you are thankful for. :) I enjoyed hearing about your girls, too - what is Kairos, something to do with their school?
How sweet of your hubby to go down to FL for the make a wish foundation, too. I'm glad he's back home for you!
P.S. Thank you for all your sweet comments on the traditions. I meant to tell you that yesterday!