!) Above picture is pretty self explanatory. I had a brief career in modeling when I was twenty. Success was never an option because I am only 5'2. I did however grace the pages of some obscure fitness magazines wearing aerobic wear and was on two pages of the JC Penney Winter Catalog. Whooo!!!
2) I am fifth in a family of seven. One brother, five sisters. My brother was the oldest and went away to college when I was 11 years old. We girls were left to torture our poor father. He is now 81 and we fawn over him and make up for all that cruelty!
3) As a child I hated sweets. My only "candy" was raisins. 2 years ago I discovered chocolate and I blame my good group of friends called "hormones" for turning me on to this decadent treat. I'm really trying to lose these friends and their bad influences but I think they are going to hang around a little longer.
4) You might call me an animal rescue person. Years ago a squirrel had it's leg caught in the chain of my son's bike lying in the driveway. Try as I might, I could not free the struggling squirrel and suffered many scratches & bites. I finally retrieved a kitchen knife and (close your eyes if you are squeamish) amputated it's foot. I was observed for signs of rabies that I thankfully never developed and for years we have seen a three legged squirrel scampering around our neighborhood. (This is a cross-my-heart true story!!
5) My favorite treat is raspberries & whipped cream. To make: get a small dessert dish, fill with about 1 inch of Reddi Whip (you have to use Reddi Whip. Forget Cool Whip-it is an impostor that should be banned from all supermarket shelves). Layer approximately 1 handful of raspberries, cover with another generous layer of Reddi Whip. Enjoy. Remember, the ratio of whipped cream to berries is 3-1. Feel free to add whipped cream as desired. If no raspberries are available, the whipped cream is fine by itself.
4) I am a killer at Trivial Pursuit. My mind is filled with endless trivial information and I am rightly proud as all good blonde's should be.
5) I am a wonderful gourmet cook and quite modest about it. (!!) I was once an assistant chef at a popular Italian restaurant in Chicago. I was relegated to making salads and was fired when I suggested we blanch the broccoli for a more colorful appearance.
6) Although I live on a lake for most of the year, I am afraid of water. Had a bad experience water skiing once and also...cannot swim.
7) Have a dreadful fear of insects with hard shells; June bugs, crickets, cockroaches, ladybugs...
8) Have to sleep on 3 pillows, (my choice)
9) Have to sleep with 2 dogs on top of me (not my choice)
10) Love to make and can salsa and red sauce from my vegetable garden.
11) Was featured in local newspaper for the above
12) Was nominated for the Excellence in Writing Award at the University of...but lost out to a guy who wrote an essay on aeronautics...
13) After years of getting up at 6:00 a.m. with the children, I became a late sleeper. I am now so grateful to God that I now get up at the crack of dawn to watch the sun come up.
14) I am 80% hearing impaired. I wear hearing aids and read lips. I rely on closed caption to watch T.V.. This is a degenerative disease I was born with and although the prognosis is not good, I am so grateful for the hearing I have left. I would also like to break the stigma that hearing disabilities are only for the "old folks". Every day that I can hear my family talk, and hear the birds sing is a blessing!
15) Foods I abhor: beets, liver, catfish. This list could change if anyone were able to make something with these items that I might tolerate.
16) My mother's maiden name is Doll (German) I always thought it would be cool if she were named Barbie and her brother Ken! (or maybe: Whata) (!!!)
17) Speaking of names, my husband is French and our last name is very common in New Orleans. No further clues!
18) I majored in Art & English
19) I once had 14 cockatiels in my house that I hand fed and raised from babies, products of two very romantic parents I bought not knowing their sexes!
20) Both of my daughters weighed 5 lbs at birth but were extremely healthy!
21) I am a very reclusive person but have an outgoing personality. Go figure.
22) Passions: cooking, gardening, reading, journaling, shopping, traveling, being at the lake, being with my husband & children and dogs, adding to the list!
23) When I was 22, I took a two week vacation to California with only myself. Saw & did a lot of stuff and got to know myself very well!
24) Have been married more years than I have been single!
25) Am absolutely loving blogging. It has given me the opportunity to share of myself with others and get to know so many amazing people. My wish is that we all meet in person someday!
So here it is. I have bared my heart & soul and I suppose there is no further guessing about this strange blonde blogging person. Or perhaps not...we'll see